Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ignition on the left

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

There are old factory videos supporting the idea that it was quicker for the driver to enter the car and start it with the ignition on the left in racing conditions. I remember a owners VHS for the 993 stating this. It might be somewhere on YouTube by now.

Update. I just googled "Porsche 993 owners video" and found the video on YouTube. It answers your question in the first 2 minutes.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:03 AM
pilotjosh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to Minute 1:05
Old 11-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by csmab
There are old factory videos supporting the idea that it was quicker for the driver to enter the car and start it with the ignition on the left in racing conditions. I remember a owners VHS for the 993 stating this. It might be somewhere on YouTube by now.

Update. I just googled "Porsche 993 owners video" and found the video on YouTube. It answers your question in the first 2 minutes.
Are we to believe everything that porsche spoon feeds us though?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:45 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter Ustinov made a record, now available on cd, called The Grand Prix of Gibralter. In it he lampoons the Germans for the kind of thinking that finds the ignition key on the left. The German driver has his shirt pocket in the center for perfect balance, and to that same end he must drive with one leg forward and the other back. It is dated material but the way he satirizes all the various teams is still a hoot. All the voices are his...a real tour de force.
Riverside Records Specialty Series 12-633 if interested
Old 11-01-2012, 01:56 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by pilotjosh
Marketing BS!
Craig
Old 11-01-2012, 04:00 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Marketing BS!
Craig
+1 Hurley's explanation only makes sense if the car is sitting on the grid in neutral. I guess all those other teams with their ignition keys on the right just compensated for potential lost milliseconds by leaving the car in first gear...
Old 11-03-2012, 01:01 PM
PNW911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Essexmetal

Basal Skull, I grew up on Vancouver Island and Rudi Koniczek had a small two bay import car service station back in the mid 70's and grew it up into a well appointed facility doing all the high end imports in the area. Some people say that he could repair the most exotic vehicles, some would say he was a slippery business owner that screwed you with double billing and padded hours, but everyone would confirm he could spin quite a story. Not disputing his claims on the key location just reflecting back on a previous time.
Rick
Rudi Koniczek is one of the world's premier exotic car restorers who's reputation speaks for itself- to wit: http://rudiandcompany.com

Your slanderous and libelous comments which by your own admission are nothing more than 40 year old hearsay have absolutely no place on this or any forum. I know Rudi very well, bought a car from him last year, and can attest to his exemplary reputation. He will be reading your malicious text.

Quick Reply: ignition on the left