Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andial 3.8 for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012 | 11:10 PM
Marshy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
IIRC there is one in winnipeg (perhaps Marshy) with RUF vin that is advertised for sale with no price.
Dan,

Mine is a non-VIN RUF Turbo R converted at Weissach in Vancouver in 2001. Weissach was the North American RUF distributor before RAC Dallas picked up the torch (which is now carried by RUF USA in Michigan). I have all the original paperwork for the build at that time which was kindly passed along to me by the PO of my car.

To my knowledge there is no such thing as a twin plug 3.8L RUF Turbo R conversion. RAC may have completed the engine work on the vehicle in question, but it doesn't mean the engine & ECU programming conforms to RUF Turbo R specification.

The vehicle in Winnipeg is AR in color and there is much skepticism as to whether it is indeed a RUF VIN vehicle (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...t=RUF+winnipeg). My vehicle is a black/black '97 MY. It is NOT for sale so please, no advertising for me Dan !

Geoff

Last edited by Marshy; 10-08-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-07-2012 | 11:10 PM
NYC123
Banned

So still not clear to me form the responses. My 3.8 L conversion done by RUF in dallas, is this a RUF Turbo R or not ? I have $90k worth of receipts on " RUF letterhead" so what is it technically ?
Old 10-07-2012 | 11:18 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I would contact ruf in Germany, if it's a conversion they can verify it.
I remember a you tube video of ruf and the yellow bird etc where they went through the whole ruf conversion and they didn't think twin plugs were beneficial on a 993tt based car bc of the superior ignition and ecu.
I would call ruf Germany.
Edit, in looking at the RAC site it is my opinion that you have a RAC 3 .8 conversion, not an actual ruf r turbo conversion. Again, just my opinion, I would confirm w Germany, they have records on all ruf USA conversions.
GL
C
Old 10-07-2012 | 11:28 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EntropyChaser993
And who are you referring to?
This was before the 993 days. I worked at PMNA.
Originally Posted by ScottMellor
Andial WAS Porsche Motorsports North America.
I think they won a coupla races.
http://www.andial.com/about.html

With the racing operation of ANDIAL firmly in place in one of our buildings, PORSCHE AG teamed-up with ANDIAL to develop the IMSA-legal engine for their 956 race car, resulting in the legendary and long-lived 962 race machine. Alwin (the "AL" in ANDIAL) became the official consultant for this program. After the untimely death of Al Holbert in 1988, then PORSCHE MOTORSPORT NORTH AMERICA's (PMNA) director, Alwin was appointed Motorsport Director and in 1997 became PMNA President. A post he held to his retirement in 2004. In the meantime, Arnold Wagner ("AN" in ANDIAL) and Dieter Inzenhofer ("DI" in ANDIAL) would continue to operate ANDIAL Street-Sport and special parts business.
Old 10-07-2012 | 11:56 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYC123
So still not clear to me form the responses. My 3.8 L conversion done by RUF in dallas, is this a RUF Turbo R or not ? I have $90k worth of receipts on " RUF letterhead" so what is it technically ?
Is there a certification in your documentation stating that you have a Ruf turbo R?

Even before this, what did you specifically requested when you dropped off your car at RAC?

Did you say, "Hey boys, I want a Ruf turbo R!!!"

Or, "I want something like a Ruf turbo R!!!"

In their listing, it appears they are neither calling it a Ruf turbo R or an Andial 3.8
http://www.racperformance.com/index.aspx?id=993Turbo38
Old 10-08-2012 | 12:46 AM
Marshy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I would contact ruf in Germany, if it's a conversion they can verify it.
C
What he said.

Geoff
Old 10-08-2012 | 12:57 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

A Ruf Turbo R has an engine built to a specific Ruf formula, consisting of their cams, turbos, ECU, intake porting, sport cats, and oil cooler. Nothing magic, but all Turbo Rs have the same engine making a very conservative 490HP. The other Ruf doodads (brakes, suspension, wheels, bumpers, mirrors, a-piilar fairings, seats, steering wheel, shifter, pedals, instruments, strut brace, etc) are options that a user may specify during the build or add afterwards.

So, while Ruf Turbo Rs may have different levels of trim, they all have identical engines. They should all carry a letter certifying the authenticity. Mine is signed by Estonia Ruf.

NYC123 has what sounds like a very nice car with lots of power. It is NOT, however, a Ruf Turbo R. How this affects its value is unknown, but the Ruf cars (and the Andials) are a known commodity and tend to hold their value well.

I know of a Ruf VIN Turbo R. He is an occasional Rennlister (but not lately). He has run his car in the Nevada open road speed events, and has been officially logged at 211 MPH.
Old 10-08-2012 | 01:12 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

^ agree 100%
Call Ruf then call RAC. nyc123 asked what his car was worth, this makes a huge difference. A Ruf or Andial car has a certain pedigree, an RAC modded 3.8 is simply another heavily modded turbo, probably worth less than a stock example on the market, imo.

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 10-08-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-08-2012 | 07:29 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I remember a you tube video of ruf and the yellow bird etc where they went through the whole ruf conversion and they didn't think twin plugs were beneficial on a 993tt based car bc of the superior ignition and ecu.
C
More like they couldn't make twin plugs work with the new Motronic, IIRC Andial had the same problem so they used a different ECU (Thielert sp) until fairly recently when they acquired a German Motronic which would support twin plug (no prizes for guessing where that originated)

Originally Posted by ca993twin
. The other Ruf doodads (brakes, suspension, wheels, bumpers, mirrors, a-piilar fairings, seats, steering wheel, shifter, pedals, instruments, strut brace, etc) are options that a user may specify during the build or add afterwards.
Are we making the qualification up as we go along to suit
Old 10-08-2012 | 07:34 AM
EntropyChaser993
Racer

Originally Posted by IamSMC
Would I take this Andial 3.8 over a Ruf car? Well, hell yes!!! There's something about an Andial being built by the guy who ran Porsche Motorsports North America.
And who are you referring to?
Originally Posted by IamSMC
http://www.andial.com/about.html

With the racing operation of ANDIAL firmly in place in one of our buildings, PORSCHE AG teamed-up with ANDIAL to develop the IMSA-legal engine for their 956 race car, resulting in the legendary and long-lived 962 race machine. Alwin (the "AL" in ANDIAL) became the official consultant for this program. After the untimely death of Al Holbert in 1988, then PORSCHE MOTORSPORT NORTH AMERICA's (PMNA) director, Alwin was appointed Motorsport Director and in 1997 became PMNA President. A post he held to his retirement in 2004. In the meantime, Arnold Wagner ("AN" in ANDIAL) and Dieter Inzenhofer ("DI" in ANDIAL) would continue to operate ANDIAL Street-Sport and special parts business.
Al Holbert directed Porsche Motorsport until he died in 1988. Alwin Springer held the titles of Porsche Motorsport Director from 1988-1997 and PMNA President from 1997-2004. ANDIAL and PMNA were co-located but separate entities and in 1997 PMNA moved to a separate facility. I can assure you Alwin never turned a wrench on an ANDIAL 3.8 conversion. I would like to see paperwork that proves differently. Dieter yes, Alwin no. RIP Arnold.

Last edited by EntropyChaser993; 10-08-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-08-2012 | 01:42 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Question

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Are we making the qualification up as we go along to suit
What is your point here? My comment refers to the issue that a Ruf Turbo R is NOT defined by the Ruf "doodads" (as delineated in my post), and that it doesn't matter who installs the doodads, or when they are installed. They are merely optional stuff that a a user may add to any car, Ruf or not.
Old 10-08-2012 | 01:59 PM
NYC123
Banned

All ruf conversions should have a COA signed by A Ruf. Ruf can easily verify if the car in question is a ruf or not.
This applies to all ruf conversions done at RAC to my knowledge.
^ agree 100%
Call Ruf then call RAC. nyc123 asked what his car was worth, this makes a huge difference. A Ruf or Andial car has a certain pedigree, an RAC modded 3.8 is simply another heavily modded turbo, probably worth less than a stock example on the market, imo.
I disagree that it is worth less than a stock car. I clearly am biased as the owner but I can also tell you I was offered between 140k-150k from 2 different people for the car. I said no, not because I have any delusion that it is worth more than that, simply because I dont want to sell it.
Old 10-08-2012 | 02:00 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

As I said, Andial was Porsche Motorsports NA, which gives them a certain credibility and pedigree.
Even if they were not during the 993 era, they still worked heavily with some very successful race teams.
For example Jochen Rohr
Old 10-08-2012 | 02:42 PM
EntropyChaser993
Racer

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
As I said, Andial was Porsche Motorsports NA, which gives them a certain credibility and pedigree.
Even if they were not during the 993 era, they still worked heavily with some very successful race teams.
For example Jochen Rohr
Scott - Not arguing this. My point is that my former boss (Alwin Springer) was not turning wrenches on the 993 ANDIAL conversions as was misstated in the thread. My comments are not to undermine the credibility and pedigree of ANDIAL. In fact knowing the ANDIAL mechanics of the time I have high regards for their workmanship.
Old 10-08-2012 | 02:53 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

For sure.
I'd be surprised if Alois Ruf turns any wrenches either.

Quick Reply: Andial 3.8 for Sale