Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard to change interior color?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:15 PM
schein609
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default How hard to change interior color?

Hey everyone. Was wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimate on what it would take, cost wise to turn say a light grey interior to black. I'm in the market for a black/black Turbo S but am having a difficult time finding the proper spec. Driver and passenger seats aside how much do you think it would cost to replace all the carpet, door sills, rear seats ect...and if anyone knows of a shop that could do the work that would be a big help also.
Thanks
Mike
Old 07-17-2012, 04:23 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mike, there has been a black 993 interior for sale for many months (over a year) in Pano magazine. Seller is asking $5K IIRC.

If you are a DIY kinda guy, (and some Rennlisters have done it) www.colorplus.com offers some great products to dye our leathers.

As for a shop location, where are you located?

Dying or changing the interior on a 993 Turbo S would really kill the value, IMO. Best to keep looking for the right color combo.

What's more important? A black exterior or black interior?

And, most Turbo S's had carbon fiber with the interior, so this makes a change-out even more challenging.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:27 PM
schein609
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm in NY. Yeah I am going to continue searching for the right car for me. If I had to say which is more important I would probably go with interior, however its close. A black or silver car would work for me.

I figured if the interior change was done by a respected shop resale wouldn't be hurt too much.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

the guy in panorama has run the ad every month for over 6 years....maybe he is negotiable now...talk about persistent.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:38 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by schein609
I'm in NY. Yeah I am going to continue searching for the right car for me. If I had to say which is more important I would probably go with interior, however its close. A black or silver car would work for me.

I figured if the interior change was done by a respected shop resale wouldn't be hurt too much.
I'm pretty sure any change that doesn't match the window sticker is going to hurt the value of a low mileage keeper............a higher mileage driver not so much. Billet Al diverter valves and upgraded turbo oil supply lines may be an exception.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:15 PM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty hard..
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=75508

--T
Old 07-20-2012, 03:09 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup

If you're going to lay down that kind of moola, get what you want.

Any "stories" at that level are going to hurt value.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally understand your desire to have a black int. I wasn't a big fan my Grey Int that had a purplish tint to it. Anyway, I had a Porsche shop out here(SoCal) convert it to Black and I couldn't be happier. The only thing I haven't finished is the seats. I'm still deciding on what to actually put in it so for now I am using a set of black 964 Sport seats as temps.

With all that being said I agree with the other posters in that if you have a rare car like a TTS then leave it alone. They are just too rare to alter IMO.

Chad

Quick Reply: How hard to change interior color?