Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum-62/)
-   -   Turbo S Ducts (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/705115-turbo-s-ducts.html)

Jae.S 07-05-2012 02:37 AM

Turbo S Ducts

Has anyone ever did the Turbo S rear duct mod to their car? It's the one thing I've always loved about the Turbo S, never was a fan of the rear wing or even the lip, personally. I know it has no practical use, but even as a cosmetic mod. I notice a few TTs overseas have them, not sure if that was an option over there or people adding them after though. I also saw this ad on another thread on the forums, and felt a little more comfortable doing the mod because the ducts weren't tied to the Turbo S, but were a homage to the 959 and openly offered (assuming this is a real porsche ad). So at the end of the day would it affect the value of the car? Basically a stock TT with rear ducts.

http://i45.tinypic.com/sy6op3.jpg

Stewart 07-05-2012 04:42 AM

It was an option for a regular TT, at least here in the UK and I'm pretty sure I recall seeing a 4S with them as well. I would imagine it would be horribly expensive to convert now, even if you could actually find the rear quarters to do it. You'd then have a non-standard car of course which isn't to everyone's taste. I'm with you in thinking they look gorgeous, but wasn't prepared to pay the £££ premium when looking for mine.

911PERVY 07-05-2012 04:58 AM

Duct are still available from Porsche, its not a complete wing, fair amount of work to get them to fit I would think! There is one type for NB cars at £735 each and one for the WB cars at £663 each

They do nothing for cooling as the wheel arch liner is in the way but boy do they look good!

If I needed to do some serious paintwork in that area I would be very tempted to do this

Carlos993 07-05-2012 05:28 AM

I have a 4S that came from the factory with the ducts, so it was indeed available for ROW cars as an option. I agree they look great. Interestingly, the ducts in some earlier cars were more than cosmetic. The ducts for the 964 Turbo S Leichtbau ("Lightweight") are both better made (for example, they have a fine mesh cover just inside the duct), and also functional.

V 07-05-2012 07:01 AM

Carlos, with functional do you mean that they feed air to the rear brakes or to the engine compartment? Any pics of this setup would be much appreciated :). You have a bunch of wonderful cars, great taste!

:D

geolab 07-31-2012 10:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
as we speak

No HTwo O 07-31-2012 10:50 AM

^George......:bowdown:

Very cool.

993Godspeed 07-31-2012 11:02 AM

Very nice Sir!

911PERVY 07-31-2012 11:41 AM

Great pics George

I am so going to do this to my car......................somewhen

Dont forget to get the correct stone guards, the normal turbo ones wont fold around the duct to well, although the Genuine ones are only available in clear & arctic, your car looks arctic!

geolab 07-31-2012 12:37 PM

I will write a full detailed write-up of option X79 when I finish, thank you all for the compts
There is a stage I did not picture, where I Tin soldered after the MIG, and smoothened the metal, before
the etch primer.
I had to keep the TIN hot, and work, so no pictures.
Pervy, I will encourage you when the time comes.
Here is a blog article I learnt by heart to attack the project

http://fergusoncoachbuilding.blogspot.co.uk/

I haven't reached those results, and had to use TIN soldering, which is ultimate against rust

911PERVY 08-01-2012 08:32 AM

Wow, that is some good welding!

When I said I will be doing this, I meant, I will be paying someone to do this....

V 08-01-2012 08:54 AM

Hi G, great work as always :thumbup:

Are you making them functional or just optical (OEM)?

Are the OEM ones steel? Were they a hard find?

:D

No HTwo O 08-01-2012 08:58 AM

If they are made to be functional, would it be for; engine cooling, rear brake cooling, or cold air intake?

geolab 08-01-2012 10:01 AM

Viggo you killed me.
Everytime I stroll on rennlist, I spend my time searching for a picture of the RUF
I haven't seen it yet !!!
Maybe you are posting pictures and the firewall at work is blocking them, I do not know.
The scoops I got from ebay US. There were on ebay for 3 years @ $1500 I think. A few months ago, I sent the seller an offer
for $1000 shipped to Paris, and I got them.
They are hand made in steel, same as the car panels.
Pervy I work in finance, if I can do it, you can easily
Bill I will do something with the inlets. I don't know what yet, but I do not want cigarette butts in there, I would not leave them like this.

V 08-01-2012 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by No HTwo O (Post 9731783)
If they are made to be functional, would it be for; engine cooling, rear brake cooling, or cold air intake?

Could be made for either of the three. I would try to duct them to the engine cmopartment somehow, but it would probably give better results on a turbo Porsche.

Originally Posted by geolab (Post 9731871)
Viggo you killed me.
Everytime I stroll on rennlist, I spend my time searching for a picture of the RUF
I haven't seen it yet !!!
Maybe you are posting pictures and the firewall at work is blocking them, I do not know.
The scoops I got from ebay US. There were on ebay for 3 years @ $1500 I think. A few months ago, I sent the seller an offer
for $1000 shipped to Paris, and I got them.
They are hand made in steel, same as the car panels.
Berny I work in finance, if I can do it, you can easily
Bill I will do something with the inlets. I don't know what yet, but I do not want cigarette butts in there, I would not leave them like this.

My sincere apologies my friend. It seems I have lost your email address? Please PM me your email address and ye shall receive... :bigbye:

I think these ducts look really cool more than anything. I like the fact that the are steel, a big plus IMHO. I would try to make them functional somehow and also put some kind of mesh on the inside to avoid getting debris in the engine compartment. Again, well done, looks exceptional!

Best