Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who says a Garage Queen can't see some Action

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 06:11 PM
andykbob
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great stuff and sorry for the new guy question but what exactly is a "Rally" race with a 993? Its not off road so is it just a race on old side roads?
Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by andykbob
great stuff and sorry for the new guy question but what exactly is a "Rally" race with a 993? Its not off road so is it just a race on old side roads?
Here is how the Chicago PCA define a Rallye:

Rallye

A TSD rallye is not a race, rather it is a contest in which a team consisting of a driver and a navigator combine driving, observational, mathematical, and communicative skills (as well as patience) in the negotiation of a prescribed road course at prescribed speeds. The main objective is to stay on course following a set of route instructions that each team receives before the start of the rallye. The route instructions define what route to follow and what average speeds to maintain. Rallye scores are determined by timing the arrival of each rallye car at points along the rallye route and comparing the times against the official rallye time. These timing points are called checkpoints and their locations are not known in advance. It’s kind of like going to Grandma’s House only you don’t know where it is and you don’t know how to get there but you have to arrive precisely on time.

The rallye teams should be alerted to “trap situations” which may be encountered along the route. Traps are used by the rallyemaster to entice the rallye teams to deviate from the true rallye route or to proceed at a speed that varies from the official average speed. All of the planned traps will loop back onto the rallye route, or off course markers will bring you back to the rallye route, and bring rallye cars into the checkpoints.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:19 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by andykbob
Basically yes and No HTwo O's observations are correct except you'll never do well sticking to the average speeds listed. They don't account for delays like lights, slow traffic, trains, etc. Navigator figures out when you are to reach each of 7 check points and you have to "move along quickly" on most stages to get there on time. Turbo gives huge passing advantage in metropolitan and surrounding areas because you can whip by a line of cars or Harley's in seconds while lesser (NA) vehicles must loose time waiting for larger oncoming gaps. You loose a point for every minute you are late and 2 points for every minute you are early. Never be early! We usually loose 15 points over the course of a 3 1/2 hour rally while the only basta...'er team that has beaten us the last 2 races looses 11.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:35 PM
andykbob
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting race.
Thanks
Old 07-24-2012, 10:49 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

back when I did such things usually Porsche Rallyes were along roads that were interesting and were often chosen to entice you go too fast and thus arrive early.

TSD is simply a Calculus function but with an old arithmetic calculator it required breaking it down to small integrals. The really "serious" guys had their trusty Curta. The rest of us just tried to have fun

I would think now with GPS that it would take some of the fun out and you could be amazingly accurate, but haven't done it for a while and not in the digital era.

So Ronnie, how is it done now?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:02 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
back when I did such things usually Porsche Rallyes were along roads that were interesting and were often chosen to entice you go too fast and thus arrive early.

TSD is simply a Calculus function but with an old arithmetic calculator it required breaking it down to small integrals. The really "serious" guys had their trusty Curta. The rest of us just tried to have fun

I would think now with GPS that it would take some of the fun out and you could be amazingly accurate, but haven't done it for a while and not in the digital era.

So Ronnie, how is it done now?
Curta?....had to Google that one! GPS are not used except as recording device because they can loose the signal even momentarily, and you're screwed. Also, most do not have mileage to one decimal place. Ask me how we learned this...the hard way on our first rally. We all use a calculator, digital watch - leave the Rolex at home - and the trip odometer, re-setting it at every stage. Got lucky, mine is either accurate or has the same error as the route planner's 944. I`m always aware of the time and distance to go, and base our speed (quick mental calculation works) on that. When we get real close navigator guides our speed in. And with respect to the navigator - having a GF with a science degree really helps! When I occasionally forget to re-set, she knows how far we`ve gone and corrects.....amazing. Also watches odometer and counts down distance to next turn when I`m busy watching for coppers, deer and Sunday drivers.

Quick Reply: Who says a Garage Queen can't see some Action