Sponsored by:

State Farm is steep!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:29 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
State Farm has a program called Drive Safe and Save. You can report actual miles every 6 months to get significant discount on low mileage cars. You can signup on this with your agent or at their web site. It's even cheaper than their 7,500 mile/year rating.
Great find. But, it's not going to work for my Porsches. Maybe for my wife's Mercedes. Here are the limitations with State Farms Drive Safe and Save program (most of which I violated this morning on the way to Starbucks!):

Data
What driving characteristics does the In-Drive device collect that can impact my Drive Safe & Save savings?
The device captures the following driving characteristics:
•Miles driven
•Acceleration
•Braking
•Turns (right and left turns)
•Speeds 80 mph and over
•Time of day the vehicle is driven
Visit In-Drive.com/sf to receive personalized tips for improving your driving behaviors.

I will be calling SF on Monday morning to get this set up for my wife. Savings could be about $200/year on a policy that costing me about $700/year.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:20 PM
msw
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 15 Posts

just went through the insurance game when i added a 575M couple months ago...most would not insure an fcar

hagerty/leland (agreed value/restrictions)...expensive and can't drive my car...imo more for insuring 'art'...did not really want agreed value...wanted replacement cost.
allstate...ridiculously high
state farm by far most reasonable...moved over from allstate and saved thousands (when including home/umbrella/personal etc)

will be surprised if you can beat state farm rates.

good luck.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:50 PM
evanvanhorn
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hillsdonsmith
Wut he sed. I went with Hagerty Agreed value policy - $1800/yr which is same as provincial/government insurance, but insured for $85K, vs the $25K govt insur would likely have given me in event of total loss.

BTW - we have to insure every motorcycle we own up here, which really adds up - can't move plate betw bikes like WA state. Bike companies should set up their own insur Co - would sell more units! I digress...

Mark
Hillsdonsmith - after reading your comments, I am wondering what I am missing - I live down in Wenatchee, WA, and own five motorcycles. I am not aware of a rule where I can simply move license plates between bikes? What am I missing? Perhaps I can save some registration costs!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:25 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure as heck won't work for my wife either!
Old 04-01-2012, 12:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,495 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Hey Guys,

Asking you since you own them

Just closed on a very pretty 993TT and it's on it's way

just got off the phone with State Farm and even though it will be used less than 2000 mi/yr they want more than $900/yr

I am over 40 and have a great record. $0.50/mi just for Insurance sounds like too much to me. Car is garage kept in the Burbs

What do some of you think/pay if you don't mind sharing

Yes, pics will come!!!
something's not right.
my RS unlimited mileage is 1400/year.
also state farm
Old 04-01-2012, 04:57 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weird

The program does have have any device for me and no restriction either. Just mileage based. You should inquire more.

I am in Norcal.

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Great find. But, it's not going to work for my Porsches. Maybe for my wife's Mercedes. Here are the limitations with State Farms Drive Safe and Save program (most of which I violated this morning on the way to Starbucks!):

Data
What driving characteristics does the In-Drive device collect that can impact my Drive Safe & Save savings?
The device captures the following driving characteristics:
•Miles driven
•Acceleration
•Braking
•Turns (right and left turns)
•Speeds 80 mph and over
•Time of day the vehicle is driven
Visit In-Drive.com/sf to receive personalized tips for improving your driving behaviors.

I will be calling SF on Monday morning to get this set up for my wife. Savings could be about $200/year on a policy that costing me about $700/year.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:39 AM
apo128
Intermediate

Try calling Grudy for their agreed value program. When I spoke with them regarding their collector/antique plan with an agreed value of $80,000 the told me it would be about $685 for the year. With this program it can not be a daily driver but they told me unlimited miles.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:21 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by djantlive
Weird

The program does have have any device for me and no restriction either. Just mileage based. You should inquire more.

I am in Norcal.
My wife will make the call Monday for her car. I don't think this will work for my toys. I took the info I posted about the data collection right from State Farm's web site.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:26 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts

I run off most of the coverage during with hibernation.
Wish I could do that in MD; plates must be returned to DMV without insurance else you pay a steep fine.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:11 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

There are geographical differences between insurance pricing as well as the coverage and discounts that apply in your individual circumstances. Don't expect the rates in NYC to be the same as Utah.

If you have a special car (993tt) the insurance company will adjust your claim on the ACV actual cash value unless you have a stated value policy or collector car policy. They may also restrict the labor rate on what they will allow on a repair on an ACV. Also, what constitutes a total loss under their claims adjusting guidelines? It's not until a loss that you find the cheap rate is just what you paid for.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:20 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Wish I could do that in MD; plates must be returned to DMV without insurance else you pay a steep fine.
That makes no sense. You should look into this more. The coverages that are turned off during hibernation are things like collision, emerg road service, unisured, under insured, medical and liability (since the car's not driven, how could it get into an accident and cause liability). Things that stay turned on are Comprehensive (rodent damage, fire and etc) and theft.

IIRC, insurance during winter hibernation cost about $25-35 each during the 4 months for the Turbo and 6 months for the Boxster.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts

That makes no sense. You should look into this more. The coverages that are turned off during hibernation are things like collision, emerg road service, unisured, under insured, medical and liability (since the car's not driven, how could it get into an accident and cause liability). Things that stay turned on are Comprehensive (rodent damage, fire and etc) and theft.

IIRC, insurance during winter hibernation cost about $25-35 each during the 4 months for the Turbo and 6 months for the Boxster.
k, I'll check into it (turning off and on) since the pcar sleeps all winter.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:05 AM
INFRNL
Track Day

I am going to have to shop around. You guys complain about $800 a yr. I pay more than that for my 03 F350 and my 04 Audi A8L.

I personally think Insurance is a huge ripoff and we all get raped. Their logic in pricing is rediculous

Quick Reply: State Farm is steep!!!!