Sponsored by:

diy gt2rs intercooler trackday data

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:14 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default diy gt2rs intercooler trackday data

Went to the opening weekend at the new Ridge motorsport track in Sheldon Wa. Great new track... Was a cool day, with some rain in the morning, mid single digit temps but dried out nicely by the end of the day. Track experiece was really good, drive home is another story and although us Vancouver guys made it home okay, not something I want to recount now (too traumatic).

Any hoo, my intercooler performed really well, not sure I can believe it. Did 5x30min runs during the day, mid single digit celcius, so pretty cool, deficitely warmer in the afternoon. I did my first 3 sessions with my stock intercooler. Got faster during the day, the last 2 sessions I did with the gt2rs diy intercooler (please search/look at my previous thread if interested - basically new gt2rs intercooler adapted/diy built endtanks/inlet to fit my car).
My new data logger/display/video system worked well, noticed in my video with some minor programing glitches I`ll have to fix. I got the race technology DL1Mk3, Video4, Dash4 pro, boost sensor, post intercooler temp sensor (tapped into stock sensor)

Here are some screen shots of the graphs plotting speed/post intercooler temps/boost. It is of the front 1/2 mile straight can get up close to redline in 5th gear. The first pic is the data from lap 9 in my third session (first session I did on my own, second with an instructor - it`s a brand new track and I`m just learning, getting faster with each session and running harder). Lap 9 was the fastest time for this sector in the 3rd session (did 11 laps that session). Also note that my boost gauge reads absolute pressure so 1 bar is ambient/atmospheric - so subtract 1 from all the numbers, I'm not running 2+ bar of boost, just above 1 bar - UMW stage 2 turbos/ecu/cats.

The second pic is data from lap 11 in the last/fifth session (did 15 laps that session). this was again the fastest time for this sector in this session. My fastest lap time was 2:09 in the 3rd session, and in the 5th session was down to 2:01. So definitely running the car harder (also ambient was defitely warmer).
Attached Images   

Last edited by Basal Skull; 03-20-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:21 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

So my post intercooler temps are almost 20 degrees celcius cooler despite running harder, later lap, warmer ambient temps!!!!
top speed is 3mph faster (although lots of other variables), Iat max is 27.5 vs 46 degrees celcius!!

if anyone want to see any more data let me know.
I`m pretty happy.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:37 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

obligatory pics from the day (iPhone quality, didn't take the m9...)
Attached Images    
Old 03-20-2012, 03:42 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Just figuring out the software, maybe I should put time on the x-axis? There seemed to be some significant difference in timing too. I don't think there was a big difference in performance, but suspect there would be some on a warmer day. Need some of you guys who can make better sense of these numbers to tell me what I should look at.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:58 AM
Red9
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure TB & Jean will be here soon help you with tech stuff.
What are the cores? Who fabricated?
Not sure if I am reading correctly-- the earlier laps you refer to-- were with OEM Intercooler?
No intention to rain on your parade-- I have often seen faster laps later in the day --even with less HP !!!

ps keep posting more data !!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:16 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

I know, I know, there were lots of people passing me (boxters/miatas/bmws/mustangs that I don't have a problem with at eg Mission) ... I'm not the fastest learner was still having lots of fun!

I used my stock intercooler for the first 3 sessions then switched to the intercoolers I made using stock 997 gt2rs cores - I believe they are portuguese?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Great data - thanks for sharing.

Interesting results - a circa 20 degree reduction in IAT is huge. You may recall one of my posts from a few years ago - see https://rennlist.com/forums/5380527-post24.html The Secan achieved a 16 degree reduction.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Thinking about it, I should be able to figure out where coming out of the corner on to the straight i'm at full throttle from the throttle position sensor and be able to pick my sector markers better. I'll change the x axis to time. The dip in the iat and boost doesn't match the dip in speed from shifting as well, perhaps it's because I have distance vs time on the x-axis.

The boost pressure is slightly lower with the diy intercooler - ? since it's seeing denser/cooler air the ecu doesn't need as much boost?. On a hot day it may be able to maintain higher boost vs it being pulled with the stock unit. The slightly lower boost requirement may account for the lower iat as well. Will look at it and post more data this evening when I get home. I should be able to graph the timing as well.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great work! Really like to see your data was taken from the track. The 997.2 cores are impressive for the price

How do you like the DL1Mk3? I need a something better than my current logging tool
Old 03-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent Post! thank you Basal. I would say they are working well.

So for my stupid question....Are you measuring boost from a source before or after the intercooler? If before then maybe boost is lower since your intercooler is more efficient??? the air flowing easier thru the bottleneck(Intercooler).....I don't know but just a thought that popped into my head.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:18 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice setup. I was there too with the "family car" (Red 4 door M3); sorry I did not get a chance to say "Hi".

It will be interesting to see your data on a 90F day. It was just above freezing all morning; afternoon was closer to 45F.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:51 PM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

great job...meth injection next???
Old 03-20-2012, 09:24 PM
earl3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been lurking in your DIY thread a while. Outstanding results and ingenuity! Keep us updated!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

The results do look good, please keep us posted as you analyze the raw data.

Oh yeh, very nice set of cars out too! Seeing the Youtube clips that track does look like a lot of fun.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:20 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spartan
How do you like the DL1Mk3? I need a something better than my current logging tool
The DL1MK3 is a nice small unit, I really like it and think the software is pretty good/intuitive but I don't have much to compare to. The software seem to do everything I wan to do. You can log some data off of our obd2 but the obd2 data may be a little slower - I tapped into the wiring of the stock intercooler temp guage directly into the DL1 (thanx again for the pics Felix) - the response time for the temp readings were a lot faster from the tapped in harness I made vs the obd2 readings. The rpm/throttle position/timing - I got from the obd2.

Originally Posted by PcarRacr
Are you measuring boost from a source before or after the intercooler? .
The readings are from the post intercooler temp gauge.

Originally Posted by pstoppani
Nice setup. I was there too with the "family car" (Red 4 door M3); sorry I did not get a chance to say "Hi".

It will be interesting to see your data on a 90F day. It was just above freezing all morning; afternoon was closer to 45F.
Would have been nice to meet you! You must have been in the A group since I don't remember you passing me (I was in B). Were you there for the draws at lunch? I was the Asian guy who got the sweat shirt - my buddy in the gt3rs go the 'one year free track day pass' - lucky guy! I suspect I'll be coming down with him pretty often this year. I agree it would be interesting to see what happens on a hot day.

Here are a couple of more graphs - first one with the stock intercooler and second with the diy intercooler. I've plotted time on the x-axis, added timing. They are the same runs as above in the original graphs. The front straight start out as a 's' so is not a straight line, I'm on the gas fully at the start of the run according to the throttle position sensor and don't know what it does to the run but looking at the graphs and using a cusor to get the time numbers, my 60-130 times are 10.63sec for the stock cooler and 10.1 for the diy intercooler
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: diy gt2rs intercooler trackday data