Sponsored by:

Check Valves installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:17 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Check Valves installed

I tackled this project on saturday. In theory it is relatively straight forward, the execution is was a bit of a challenge. Since my car doesn't have mufflers or cats I had less trouble acessing the turbo side, but the space is just as tight in the engine bay as it is on top of the turbos - I have plenty of cuts and bruises on my knuckles to prove it. The AC condenser had to come out and even with that out of the way it is not easy to spin a wrench in there. I had to modify the muffler bracket on the passenger side (ie - cut a chunk of metal off) so that I could get a wrench on the check vavle. You may need some specialty tools I used the Kit from TurboKraft and it seemed to work just fine. I contacted an old friend and 993Turbo expert, Joel Reiser for a few pointers. His main concern was that all the new oil line fittings were secured to RFT (really fricken toight) standards. He said a small oil leak near the hot side of the turbo would result in a really big fire - I think he was speaking from experience.

I tightened everything down and started it up. All seemed normal, and I checked all the fittings and all seemed dry. Hopefully the IC hoses & IC will now remain dry as well.

Last edited by DM993tt; 03-19-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:12 PM
LT1
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Dave. My tech said it took him almost 5hrs to do this job. Something about the heat basically freezing some of the fasteners on. Does this sound accurate?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:40 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought some from Kevin and am too afraid to try and fit these after the stories.
They can sit in the box and wait for the day I do the Turbo's.
It must be easy with them off?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:01 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

All of my fasteners came off with relative ease. I re-did my turbos about 1500mi ago so I think that helped with the removal of the old lines. On the passenger side it was nearly impossible to spin a wrench on the check valve after getting it finger tight. I had to make a run to the hardware store and buy a 17mm combo racheting crescent wrench with a pivoting head

Once I had that, I was able to tighten it down with relative ease (it wouldnt have been possible with the muffler bracket in place). If the turbos are off the car this is a non-issue. That said removing the turbos can bring a man to tears if they're good & seized on there. The exhaust bolts tend to break off in the hot side and generally dont like to come out. The driver side check valve went on fairly easily and since my heater box has been out of the car for years, getting to the top side was easy on the driver side. To get to the top side on the passerger side, the AC condenser had to come out. Its held in by 4 bolts on top and I was warned not to let the square nuts drop into the compartment, but even knowing this it is nearly impossible to get fingers in underneath to catch em - and no easier when re-installing.

5 Hours? I think after having done it already, I could do it again in 5 hours. A lift would have been nice, but I just lifted up the rear and pulled the wheels off to get to the turbos. In the engine bay, getting the IC, Heater & AC out takes time as well.

I am interested to see what kind of oil I have in the IC after a day at the track to find out if these things do much to help the problem. Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Check Valves installed