Sponsored by:

How to Remove Top Valve cover, right side

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Knut993TT
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Remove Top Valve cover, right side

I have been chasing an oil drip coming down from the right side intercooler turbo hose. From what I can tell, there are no leaks from the power steering pump or related tubes. I think the next step is to replace the upper valve cover gasket.

To gain access to the valve cover, must I remove the power steering pump from the top or can I remove metal covers and access it from below? If I need to remove the power steering pump, how involved would this be?

tnx

Knut
Old 02-19-2012, 07:29 PM
WingChun
Rennlist Member

You can leave the PS pump and remove the sheet metal. It is just possible to remove the valve cover from below. Most of the screws are pretty easy apart from the ones under the pump for which an allen key is required.
There are several screws holding the tin in place, four of which also secure the muffler bracket, 2 accessed from the side, 2 small ones from above in the engine bay.
Allow shed loads of time for this and try and clean above the cover before removing it to prevent ****e dropping into the rockers etc. I did mine with turbos removed so not sure if leaving them in place will hamper access further.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:57 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

One discovery I found which made the passenger side upper valve cover removal possible without
lowering the entire engine is a trap door allowing removal of front most corner of tin giving access to
forward most plug and valve cover securing bolts (allens).
You can find it above muffler behind wheelwell....good luck , Bert
Old 02-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Knut993TT
Track Day

It turned out I had to remove the right side turbo in order to get access to upper valve cover. I was not overly eager to touch the bolts on the turbo, so I only removed these towards the exhaust manifold and then took down the exhaust pipe attached to the turbo. Therefore, both exhaust sensors had to come out as well. After removing the sheet metal, the oil supply feed line to the turbo with attachement to engine block had to be removed (two bolts).

"When" my left side valve covers starts leaking, I will replace both upper and lower at the same time. I only have some 47K miles on the car, so these gaskets must have a limited life span.

Quick Reply: How to Remove Top Valve cover, right side