Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what material is the rear spoiler made of?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:15 PM
herman maire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what material is the rear spoiler made of?

Wondering what material the rear 993 turbo spoiler is made of.

Any chance its fiberglass with plastic grill? Thanks
Old 01-17-2012, 07:47 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was smashed by a vandal is Las Vegas and as a result I got a good look at it. It appears to be FRP, or fiberglass reinforced plastic. This means there is an armature of fiberglass that is wetted out with a catalyzed resin in a female mold. Most OEM parts are made with polyester resin. Any repair should utilize either vinyl ester resin because of it's superior secondary bonding (this means bonding to a fully cured FRP structure) or epoxy. The epoxy should not be used for darker colors unless a 24 post cure is done. A post cure means holding temp above 120F during the post cure period. The polyester resin used to make the original part, while great to make a part, does not have near the bonding characteristics of vinyl ester resin or epoxy. It may be true than these spoilers don't come under enough stress to make the resin choice irrelevent. I'm just saying that after a lifetime of fixing fiberglass boats that if you are after the best repair, use one of these two resins.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:28 PM
herman maire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply.... thats a lot of info there.

I was wondering because I'm having my 89 convertible with 3.3 turbo engine painted, the car had a factory all metal 993 wide/turbo body fitted to it . Really nicely done. I was surprised to see the rear 993 turbo spoiler was fiberglass, my first thought was that it was aftermarket but its so nicely done . It has a 993 parts number down near the license plate area .

Quick Reply: what material is the rear spoiler made of?