Sponsored by:

Red dash brake warning light?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:22 AM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red dash brake warning light?

Hi all. I have a red dashboard light on. The one with the circle with the dashed lines outside the circle on the right and left side...

Pretty sure it's the red brake warning light. I checked my brake fluid and it's full, and I made sure the wires are secure on the brake fluid cap.

Any thought s as to what it could be? Pads where changed about 10k miles ago.

I have been noticing an audible "clunk" of the left front wheel when I hit a pothole or big bump if that helps. Drives fine other then that...

The car has about 70K miles on it.

Thoughts?

-Matt
Old 11-21-2011, 12:45 PM
EntropyChaser993
Racer

Is the warning light always on? When is the last time your changed the brake fluid? If the fluid system is okay it could be a pad warning contact. Either worn pads or perhaps a sensor worked loose and is making contact elsewhere.

Last edited by EntropyChaser993; 11-21-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: .
Old 11-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

could be a loose or broken sensor
Old 11-21-2011, 02:50 PM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

Changed fluid 20k miles ago. Topped it off last week.

Light is intermittent. Sometimes doesn't come on for 20 minutes, sometimes turns right on. But once on, won't go off until the car is turned off....
Old 11-22-2011, 04:34 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

You shouldn't need to top up brake fluid. You may have a leak in the system which is causing a loss of brake pressure. Go back to your drivers handbook and check exactly what that light refers to (sorry, I can't remember each of the lights specifically). On my old C4 I was thinking a warning light was pad sensors, but it turned out to be a low brake pressure warning - the pressure boost pump that sits in the trunk behind the PU was leaking. It had to work harder than normal to raise the pressure and hence the warning light came on intermittantly whilst driving. The same pump system is used in the turbo.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:12 AM
EntropyChaser993
Racer

Stewart offered some sound advise and that is where I was going with my questions about the fluid change. Earlier this year I had the light come on and it was an issue with the pressure in the ABS hydraulic unit (small leak). Ultimately had to replace the unit and now the system is fine. Check for leaks around the ABS hydraulic unit and around the pump.
I have learned that the brake fluid has a tendency to go bad and "gunk up" in these cars. To avoid potential issues in the brake hydraulic system many 993 owners bleed the system and replace brake fluid every 1-2 years.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart
You shouldn't need to top up brake fluid. You may have a leak in the system which is causing a loss of brake pressure. Go back to your drivers handbook and check exactly what that light refers to (sorry, I can't remember each of the lights specifically). On my old C4 I was thinking a warning light was pad sensors, but it turned out to be a low brake pressure warning - the pressure boost pump that sits in the trunk behind the PU was leaking. It had to work harder than normal to raise the pressure and hence the warning light came on intermittantly whilst driving. The same pump system is used in the turbo.
Different warning light.

The brake pressure warning is the one with the arrows facing away from each other.

Quick Reply: Red dash brake warning light?