BBS E88 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 02:23 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBS E88 questions

Hi guys!

I'm considering a set of 18 inch BBS E88s for my car. I don't have the part numbers of the centers yet but will find that out.

These particular E88s were originally BBS mags where the centers were replaced by the new E88 aluminum centers. They let you use both centrelock and standard 5 lug nuts. The centers are mounted on top of the outer hoops if that makes sense (wheel bolts tightened from the back). I have also seen E88s with the outer hoops mounted on top on the wheels centres (wheel bolts tightened from the front) like all the speedlines and the traditional BBS wheels.

My question is: Does all BBS E88 centers allow mounting of the outer hoop both on top of and behind the wheel centre? Or are there two types of E88 centers, one which allows you to mount the center outside of the outer hoop and one that does the opposite?

I guess also by mounting the outer hoop on top of the centre also reduces the offset of the wheel (as opposed to mounting the centre on top), but does it also increase the rim width? Or is the rim width the same but with reduced offset?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-04-2011, 12:05 PM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The centers are either outer mount or inner, not interchangable. Barrels however can be mounted either way. What car are they off of? Find out the offsets/backspacing...if you need wheel math help let me know, I've practically got a masters in it after building my set :-)
Old 07-04-2011, 04:41 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wagongotya
The centers are either outer mount or inner, not interchangable. Barrels however can be mounted either way. What car are they off of? Find out the offsets/backspacing...if you need wheel math help let me know, I've practically got a masters in it after building my set :-)
Hi Matt,

I know my wheel math but it took a while . Thanks for the offer though. They were previously on a 996GT2. I think it will fit but it will be very tight... As it should be . What were the tires and sizes/offsets of your previous cargraphic wheels? I remember them being a nice flush fit .

These centers are gold and "center outer" mount. It makes sense that the barrels are interchangeable. Worst case I'll just have to buy new, less deep outer rimhalves to make them fit (if they rub). I hope they fit over the Brembo BBK (like Spartan has) if I decide to go that route. I havn't got the BBS part numbers yet.. Will keep you posted.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are coming off a 996 your only worry should be in the centers clear the calipers. If they cleared the 6 GT2 calipers then they should clear the 380 F50 kit just fine. From that point you can measure out what barrels & lips to stuff in there.

Also BBS will almost always give you all the fitment detail you want if you have the center part numbers when its a porsche fitment. At least if you can get someone on the phone
Old 07-05-2011, 01:21 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Thanks buddy. Yes they were on a 6 GT2 before. The PO has larger brakes fitted also to the 6 GT2 and they did clear those calipers as well. The only problem he had was that he had to use a small spacer because the rotors would otherwise hit the bolt heads on the back (this center is tightened from the back). I always thought the caliper was the limiting factor but in his case it wasn't.

These were previously mags so he cannot veryfy the fitment 100%. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will work.

Quick Reply: BBS E88 questions