Sponsored by:

1996 RUF Turbo R - real or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:38 PM
SeattleAllroad
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1996 RUF Turbo R - real or not?

Browsing Autotrader for 993TT and found that there's a RUF Turbo R in Eastern Washington near Spokane. The description says it's a RUF Turbo R but I have questions whether it's a real Turbo R or not.

Here's the link - http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Real or not?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks real to me. It would be nice if they included some information in the description.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:35 PM
SeattleAllroad
Instructor

Agree that it could be nice if the included more information. I guess the one detail that is causing me to question whether this is a real Turbo R or not is the intercooler. It looks like the stock intercooler.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Ruf uses the stock intercooler. It is very hard to tell if it is converted by looking, unless you look for the DME under the seat, look at the cats & mufflers, and a few other things.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:56 PM
SeattleAllroad
Instructor

Interesting, I would've guessed RUF would've used a differnt intercooler. Speaks well for the original design.

I may pursue this. I have a 98 C2S right now that I love but, I'm craving more power.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:09 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The "basic" Ruf Turbo R consists of the 490hp+ engine with sport cats. The Ruf oil cooler may also be included in the basic package. Everything else is optional. This car has the Ruf badges, wheels, steering wheel, shifter, and pedals. The Ruf suspension is great... it would be nice if it were on this car. Other available Ruf stuff: CTR-2 front and rear bumpers, brakes, front strut tower brace, seats, door sills, A-pillar fairings, side mirrors, instruments, and integrated roll cage.

<edit> Other stuff to know: Does this car have a Ruf VIN or a Porsche VIN? If a Porsche VIN, who did the conversion and when was it done? Depending upon when (mileage wise), what engine parts were replaced as the engine was redone.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:29 PM
SeattleAllroad
Instructor

Hey Steve,

Thank you for the additional information. Very helpful. If I pursue this I'll defnitely find answers to the issues you noted in your reply.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Seattle,

Steve is very knowledgable on RUF. This car is a Porsche US VIN.

Yes, I would want to know who converted it too. Mine was done in Germany. Steve's had a RUF Germany tech convert it in the US, and RUF Dallas converted a few. RUF Dallas is now RAC Performance. You could call Hans with the VIN number and ask if he converted it.

Having the conversion paperwork is a "must" IMO.

Let me know if I can help.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:06 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe that every Ruf Turbo R comes with a letter on Ruf stationary that describes the date and mileage when the conversion was done. Mine is signed by Alois' beautiful wife, Estonia. This is in addition to the usual work invoices. The Ruf factory probably has all of the records. You can email them with the VIN and see what they have.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:08 PM
SeattleAllroad
Instructor

Thanks to both of you. I'm definitely on the fence. I love my C2s but do have a craving for more power. Since I'm on the fence if anyone is interested I'm happy to head over to Spokane to take a look at the car. It's not super close to me but I'm almost always up for a road trip.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:51 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ca993twin
I believe that every Ruf Turbo R comes with a letter on Ruf stationary that describes the date and mileage when the conversion was done. Mine is signed by Alois' beautiful wife, Estonia. This is in addition to the usual work invoices. The Ruf factory probably has all of the records. You can email them with the VIN and see what they have.
I didn't get a signed letter on RUF stationary, but I did get a multi-page invoice showing every part (including every nut, bolt and fluid) used in the conversion. The car, now sold, was converted in Germany in '08.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 AM
marin77
Racer

Hi Seattle Allroad - I called a week or two ago (before seeing this post) and was told the car is sold - if for some reason I got the wrong info, I would be interested in your feedback (if you don't want to buy it firt of course!). I love the 993 TTs in general and the Turbo R is just ...
Old 07-01-2011, 03:43 PM
993RUF
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SeattleAllroad
Browsing Autotrader for 993TT and found that there's a RUF Turbo R in Eastern Washington near Spokane. The description says it's a RUF Turbo R but I have questions whether it's a real Turbo R or not.

Here's the link - http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Real or not?
Wow, I'd be very interested in finding out if this is the Real Deal. I would think they'd be giving more details about the conversion.

Thx
Greg
Old 07-01-2011, 04:57 PM
993RUF
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by marin77
Hi Seattle Allroad - I called a week or two ago (before seeing this post) and was told the car is sold - if for some reason I got the wrong info, I would be interested in your feedback (if you don't want to buy it firt of course!). I love the 993 TTs in general and the Turbo R is just ...
Just talked with the sales person and this car sounds like the Real deal. 3,500 miles I told since the conversion, which was completed in Vancouver BC. Sales person said the guy bought a Carrera GT and needed to move this car.
He said he has all the documentation on the car, spending 61k on the "R" coversion.

Greg
Old 07-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Weissach in Vancouver used to the NA dealer for Rufs prior to Ruf Dallas, so this must have been done a number of years ago. Someones not driven it much if it only has 35000 miles since the conversion.

Quick Reply: 1996 RUF Turbo R - real or not?