phatblackie (not for the purists)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 05:47 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by bb993tt
That's spelled $ecan and porschemeister told me I didn't need one. (Awaiting incoming English grenade.)

The car looks awesome - total beast, well done

I think now days we have moved on a bit in the Secan debate. We know that (with fully Motronically controlled cars like factory) timing and boost are reduced from optimal at around 40 degC intake so simply if during your "use" (racing, street, ambient conditions etc) the IAT stays below 40DegC then you are getting your maximum power be it 408PS or 550PS or whatever but above the 40 you will get less than your maximum power.
A new Secan (like the one MOD and I have, not the $$$$$$ EVO one) will keep your IAT within 20DegC of ambient.
A bit of data logging of IAT during your "use" will tell you the correct answer

BTW I reckon MOD would sell you his for a reasonable offer....
Old 06-22-2011, 08:35 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bb,

Very well done my friend. Simply awesome! You took a mean machine and made it into a total monster . WOW . Would be nice to hear some driving impressions once you get to stretch the legs on the track. Be interesting to see the differences vs. the "before" setup. Congratulations on what seems like the perfect track weapon. Deman really seems to know what he is doing .

Old 06-22-2011, 09:45 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

centerlocks & all. wow. Is she stricltly a track car now? Let me know when you want to use up a guest pass @ MMC & I'll be happy to go mix it up with you.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:55 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRPM
Very Nice Brian.
Congrats !!
Thanks, Derek. How's by you?

Originally Posted by budge96
A little late to the party been out of town with limited access for a few days,very nice build if I must say so myself!
Certainly partial to the color and upgrades...Bert
Yep, black is best!

Originally Posted by TB993tt
The car looks awesome - total beast, well done

I think now days we have moved on a bit in the Secan debate. We know that (with fully Motronically controlled cars like factory) timing and boost are reduced from optimal at around 40 degC intake so simply if during your "use" (racing, street, ambient conditions etc) the IAT stays below 40DegC then you are getting your maximum power be it 408PS or 550PS or whatever but above the 40 you will get less than your maximum power.
A new Secan (like the one MOD and I have, not the $$$$$$ EVO one) will keep your IAT within 20DegC of ambient.
A bit of data logging of IAT during your "use" will tell you the correct answer

BTW I reckon MOD would sell you his for a reasonable offer....
Thanks Toby, that's high praise indeed, considering what you've done yourself. Good info here too. I'm still using the Jimmy method of heat management - using the installed IC gauge to at least know when IAT's begin spiking and to avoid high extremes. When they do, I'm doing a cool down lap and heading for the pits. I know this gauge is a bit slow and the process isn't perfect, but at least I do have some idea of what's going on. And I guess that's one benefit of using the car for track day events only and not for racing ones.

[QUOTE=Viggo;8656116]bb,Very well done my friend. Simply awesome! You took a mean machine and made it into a total monster . WOW . Would be nice to hear some driving impressions once you get to stretch the legs on the track. Be interesting to see the differences vs. the "before" setup. Congratulations on what seems like the perfect track weapon. Deman really seems to know what he is doing .:[QUOTE]

Thanks V. Rick DeMan does know what he's doing. He's built a lot of race and track cars over the years, including one 993 GT2 clone for himself. But just visiting the shop is quite a treat. I was there one day where there was a 959, a street legal 993 GT1, porschemeister's old white/blue GT2 Evo, a 962, and a Daytona Prototype. And that's in addition to 20-30 club racers that are always there.

Originally Posted by DM993tt
centerlocks & all. wow. Is she stricltly a track car now? Let me know when you want to use up a guest pass @ MMC & I'll be happy to go mix it up with you.
Yep, strictly track. Not even registered for the street any more. Will advise re: MMC. That could be a good day.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:09 PM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 707 Likes on 316 Posts

Brain,
saw the car already in early spring @ the shop. Really outstanding. Looks better now with big BBS wheels etc. Cant wait wait to see it run.

When you decide to sell let me know.

Rich
Old 06-23-2011, 01:06 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That looks like the illegitimate love child of Darth Vader and Batman. A new favorite on RL for me.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:05 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RDS928S
Brain,
saw the car already in early spring @ the shop. Really outstanding. Looks better now with big BBS wheels etc. Cant wait wait to see it run.

When you decide to sell let me know.

Rich
Yea, it deffo looked a little strange with the new flares and the old BBS's on it. Will advise when I get tired of driving it.

Originally Posted by JPS
That looks like the illegitimate love child of Darth Vader and Batman. A new favorite on RL for me.
Good one!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:33 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

& by the way, car looks sick. I plan on doing that AFTER I crunch a fender. You should definately put Hoosier 275's up front. If you look @ the specs they are the same width as the Michelin PSC's - & fit nicely (teeny bit of rub under full lock in the paddock). If they fit on mine with stock panels, you should have no problem.

Also, are your BBS the old Mags or the E88 aluminum ones? (I'd be wary of the mags as its not a question if you will break a rear, it a question of when.) The E88's are great though. BBS is making me a set with the e88 centers after I cracked my rear Mag at the Glen
Old 06-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is just MEAN looking great job you have the looks and HP to back it up. Very well done. More pics please.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:06 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

& by the way, car looks sick. I plan on doing that AFTER I crunch a fender. You should definately put Hoosier 275's up front. If you look @ the specs they are the same width as the Michelin PSC's - & fit nicely (teeny bit of rub under full lock in the paddock). If they fit on mine with stock panels, you should have no problem.

Also, are your BBS the old Mags or the E88 aluminum ones? (I'd be wary of the mags as its not a question if you will break a rear, it a question of when.) The E88's are great though. BBS is making me a set with the e88 centers after I cracked my rear Mag at the Glen
You need to think outside the box, Dave. Waiting for an "incident" is so conventional. As I mentioned earlier, these tires are a starting point. When they're used up we'll revisit the issue. Both the new and the old BBS wheels (which I still have and which no longer clear the brakes) are aluminum. Jimmy ran mag's on blackie for a couple of years, but magnafluxing them convinced him to switch over to aluminum - before he HAD to. I saw the pix of your cracked mag. That did not look pretty.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:41 PM
perrew
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DM993tt, what size are you gonna run on the E88s, and what size tires?
Old 06-23-2011, 04:42 PM
993RUF
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, That is one Bad A$$ looking beast. You've put new meaning to "The Slope". Congrats
Old 06-23-2011, 05:07 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by perrew
DM993tt, what size are you gonna run on the E88s, and what size tires?
9.5f, 11r BBS e88's - hoosier R6 275/35ZR18 f 315/30zr18 rear on stock bodywork.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:24 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Black930
That is just MEAN looking great job you have the looks and HP to back it up. Very well done. More pics please.
OK, here are a few more.
Attached Images       
Old 06-24-2011, 06:57 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

I plan on doing that AFTER I crunch a fender.
Um, Dave
Its all about choices
Do you want it now or later
I think you want it now (minus the crunch)

Quick Reply: phatblackie (not for the purists)