Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Turbo R&R Experience :> and Thanks to Kevin and Basal Skull!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default My Turbo R&R Experience :> and Thanks to Kevin and Basal Skull!

My number came up this spring with the leaking turbo saga that many have experienced.

As many of us do, I started with denial and was very well assisted in the diagnosis process by Kevin (he who needs no last name nor introduction). Kevin helped me to determine that my turbos needed to be rebuilt. Then he told me that if I can change my own oil, I can remove and replace the turbos. That was all the encouragement that I needed.

Then I found the detailed instuctions posted up by Basal Skull. Basal's instructions combined with Kevin's instructions (stickey above) were all I needed to get the turbos off. It really wasn't that bad and it was definitely the most difficult project that I had taken on with this car. After a few hours, the turbos were off and on their way to Kevin.

During the downtime, I decided to do some "while I was in there" maintenance. I changed all of the filters and fluids that I could find including: transmission, front diff, fuel filter, air filter, diverter valves and obviously oil filters. I cleaned and I cleaned. Not an **** cleaning, but a cleaning that would ensure that no dirt got into the new turbos.

I learned a lot about my car during that process of maintenance and cleaning. I enjoyed learning the engineering that it took to "cram" all of that stuff into the engine bay.

I also added a boost gauge to the car. While it has an OBC, since my car's life started as a C4S, it did not show boost. I installed a VDO 2" gauge.

I also swapped my stock seats for some '7 GT3RS seats. Huge improvement in comfort and looks. I absolutely love them.

Once the turbos arrived, Kevin was very helpful in advising me on installing them and breaking them in properly. I installed them in a few hours with no real issues. The old turbo oil lines were tough to remove. And that passenger muffler bracket screw is totally blocked by the new check valve. But I got it all in. I tested and tested for leaks, and tightened a few things and all was well.

I went with the Mobil 1 V-twin oil this time and will continue to use it.

Car is back on the road and the turbos are being properly broken in. Not being able to use boost is tough! But the car feels better than ever.

More than anything, the point of this post is to thank Kevin and Basal Skull for their help and support. RL is a great place!
Old 06-01-2011, 01:30 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Patrick,

Wow. I'm proud of you for tackling that job. Did you do a "stock" (turbo R) rebuild?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Thanks Steve. I did not upgrade the turbos with the exception of porting that Kevin did. He rebuilt them to Turbo R spec.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:25 PM
993RUF
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Job Patrick.Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:57 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 181 Posts

Impressive! I'm sticking with self serve gas as my DIY limit and I've even gotten that wrong before.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How much for the rebuild?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:34 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice work, Patrick! I'm still waiting to see if my oil leaks reappear or if I was an oil filter victim (so far so good) of my own doing.

I have access to a lift, did you do all of this on your back??
Old 06-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Originally Posted by Spartan
How much for the rebuild?
I'll let Kevin answer that one.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Originally Posted by CincyScott

I have access to a lift, did you do all of this on your back??
I put my car up on my Esco jack stands. However, most of the work is done from the sides and top of the car. While pulling off the turbos, exhaust, etc, I was mostly on my knees, sitting and/or squatting. You also need to get access from the top for new oil lines, dealing with the intercooler hoses, etc.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:16 PM
malcolmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patrick, glad to hear it all went back together without issue. I'm sure you are excited to have her back on the road after a long hiatus - Enjoy the ride!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:59 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Patrick, congrats on a job well done!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanx for the thanx!
Glad it's back together. It's fun working/getting to know our cars. I'm always impressed by how well things are put together, and how nice the parts are. Your car must be running really well, I know mine runs better with each thing I do to it!

Ryojo
Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 PM
parsonii
Racer

congrats patrick .... the time you spent sorting this out and doing it on your own will definitely make you appreciate our cars so much more than i can. what i do is take the car to rac and hassle travis and mark and hans to talk to me and send me pics. patrick what dv valves did you go with? wasn't it a bitch to get them switched out without dropping the engine -- they're tucked way in the back. how much did the rebuild cost (about)? patrick i've read all the posts about oil smokers and oil in the intercoolers and mahl oil filters ad nauseum ........... but why did yours start smoking and when are mine going to start? thanks
Old 06-01-2011, 10:19 PM
parsonii
Racer

btw post some pics of the seats ... i want to see them. thanks
Old 06-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Ryojo, your instructions and off-line PM's really kept me going!

Thanks Dan! We need to get together very soon.

Parsonii. I used the recommended Bosch 710N valves. About $40 each. No, they were no trouble to replace at all. I did it as a preventative measure, not because mine were broken. However, mine were dated 2001 so it was time. With the intercooler, blower assembly, and air cleaner assembly removed, they were very accessible. To remove all of those components and replace the diverter valves and re- assemble would probably take an hour.

Rebuilding the turbos was about $500 each side. Porting was additional. And getting Kevin's check valve/oil lines kit and the upgraded sump lines were additional. Like I said, I'll let Kevin provide the details. He is very responsive to email messages.

I don't know why turbos fail, but overfilling and age seem to be the main culprits. I had problems last spring, likely due to an overfill. The issue went away. Then again this spring and the diagnosis showed that the turbos were leaking. I don't store my car in the winter. But it can sit for a couple of weeks at a time.

Quick Reply: My Turbo R&R Experience :> and Thanks to Kevin and Basal Skull!