Sponsored by:

Clear bra on Arena Red

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:55 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clear bra on Arena Red

Any other Arena red 993TT with a clear bra out there? I have my car getting a full paint restoration detail and I'm considering the idea of a respray for the bumper (rock chips etc). I was planning to paint meter and take pics to have them on record. These guys do all the clear bra work for the porsche and ferrari dealers in Dallas and seem to do a great job. I am curious to know if any other Arena cars have had it and how noticeable it is? I have read most of the historical posts on the clear bra and it seems like its 50-50 on whether people like them. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwporsche
Any other Arena red 993TT with a clear bra out there? I have my car getting a full paint restoration detail and I'm considering the idea of a respray for the bumper (rock chips etc). I was planning to paint meter and take pics to have them on record. These guys do all the clear bra work for the porsche and ferrari dealers in Dallas and seem to do a great job. I am curious to know if any other Arena cars have had it and how noticeable it is? I have read most of the historical posts on the clear bra and it seems like its 50-50 on whether people like them. Thanks!
One can barely the Venture Shield (now owned by 3M) I had installed shortly after purchasing my metallic black beauty. It doesn't show in a pic. I've seen it on an Arena Red car and it is even less visible. I like it better than the 3M product which is thicker and more noticeable. Pay particular attention to which cutting program your supplier uses. I prefer the "curvey" cuts that go well up the wing rather than the straight ones.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:55 PM
techsis
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The edges are the issue. The cost is high, but I would consider a full bumper, fender and hood cover. Less edges and less notice.

Hand washing would be the way to go after a full install. I would never recommend the use of a pressure washer.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Rufus (Arena Red) has had clear bra for about 5 years or more. I wouldn't leave home without it.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:35 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a fan, but have it anyway ...
Old 05-26-2011, 08:01 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The entire front of my Turbo is clear bra (bumper, frunk lid, fenders). The frunk lid is one peice, no seams. Looks great. I find it a bit "finicky" regarding detailing. I also think bugs stick to the clear bra more then they stick to my Boxster (no clear bra). Both use RejeX wax.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I am going through this consideration too. I just had my front bumper re-sprayed and the area behind the rear wheels. But the cost of the respray is about the same as the clear bra. So I think that I will pass. Covering the frunk and fenders makes no sense to me as it is somewhat chipped and sandblasted already.

DFW, are you considering Norm for the work? I hear good things and had a good phone conversation with him last week.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:31 AM
dfwporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by Texas993
I am going through this consideration too. I just had my front bumper re-sprayed and the area behind the rear wheels. But the cost of the respray is about the same as the clear bra. So I think that I will pass. Covering the frunk and fenders makes no sense to me as it is somewhat chipped and sandblasted already.

DFW, are you considering Norm for the work? I hear good things and had a good phone conversation with him last week.
Who is Norm? I was going to use Stuart's Paint and Body - they are doing my detail. I always see them putting the clear bra in brand new Porsche's and Ferrari's so I figured its a decent shop for that. I know they are known as one of the best paint shops in town. For now I'm just doing the detail but am considering the bra.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I have some alternatives for both detail and clear bra. Both Brian and I use Josh Ottman for detailing. He is simply an artist and has done many 993s. The Ferrari guys love him too.

If you plan to go to RAC's Cars and Bikes this weekend, we can discuss.

Stuarts is a great shop. But expensive and slow for bodywork/paint. I also know of an equally good body shop - but much more reasonable and fast. As I stated above, I recently had my front bumper resprayed. Amazing color match - which was my primary concern.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:22 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by Texas993
I have some alternatives for both detail and clear bra. Both Brian and I use Josh Ottman for detailing. He is simply an artist and has done many 993s. The Ferrari guys love him too.

If you plan to go to RAC's Cars and Bikes this weekend, we can discuss.

Stuarts is a great shop. But expensive and slow for bodywork/paint. I also know of an equally good body shop - but much more reasonable and fast. As I stated above, I recently had my front bumper resprayed. Amazing color match - which was my primary concern.
I'm out of town this weekend but would love to hear about it. I'm considering the bumper respray.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:26 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I second using Norm at Invisibra. He is close to RAC. Very detailed in his work. He just did my Dad's new 997 GTS. When I bought my car it had a bra on it. Very hard to see the lines or edges. I will go to Norm when I need to replace.

Quick Reply: Clear bra on Arena Red