Sponsored by:

Intercooler hoses

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Bill Reilly
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoses

I solved the problem by fabricating two short pieces of pipe and installing silicone rubber couplings on both ends. It was inexpensive, actually made it easier to install and has worked great for about a year. Go to siliconeintakes.com. I ordered most of the parts from them. I fabricated the pipes myself, but they are just straight pipes. I put a weld bead on each end to keep the silicone coupling from sliding off.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,403 Likes on 812 Posts

pics of the hard pipes would be nice.

A few vendors produced them for a while, but I'm wondering how you were able to run a straight pipe given the design of the rubber hose
Old 05-24-2011, 04:09 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

I was going to start making properly manufactured pipes, aerospace stuff using my brother for all the tech knowledge, tooling and manufacture processes.
They were going to be carbon cones, specially shaped for each side obviously, bonded with high temp silicone ends incorporating proper grooved recesses for the clamps, and plenty of length to fit properly..... We thrashed about with the tooling costs, and the price of curing in the autoclave, material prices and labour involved...... It wasn't viable as the outlay was pretty hefty, and it would have taken a long time to recoup costs. But they would have been indestructible and bloody beautiful to boot I got quite excited about it for a while, c'est la vie
Old 05-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

while that sounds all kind of whiz bang, why not just weld up a template in aluminum and then have them mandrel bent?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:45 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Because my brother works in aerospace composites so that's what he knows. If you can manufacture them as you say, and they'll work and fit, then i'll have a pair, as will plenty of others
Old 05-24-2011, 04:52 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
while that sounds all kind of whiz bang, why not just weld up a template in aluminum and then have them mandrel bent?
One of my best friends owns American Aluminum in northern NJ & took a look at the factory hoses & said he couldnt fab em out of aluminum.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:29 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by DM993tt
One of my best friends owns American Aluminum in northern NJ & took a look at the factory hoses & said he couldnt fab em out of aluminum.
any reason? doesn't seem like it would be THAT hard to fabricate
Old 05-24-2011, 05:36 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

It's all the odd notches i guess, bit of a pain to lay up in composite too.... Injection moulding would maybe be a good plan, but the tooling for that would be very expensive.
I never got together with my brother and a stock 993 turbo to see of there was a better route/design, i simply sent him a pair of my old pipes to use as a pattern. It may be there is an easier way to manufacture, but it begs the question 'why wouldn't Porsche have done it'?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:28 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I just used the upgraded OEM orange hoses. The passengers side (your drivers side) went right on in a minute. I celebrated and had a coffee thinking another minute for the other side.
hahahahaha, three hours! What a ***** of a job and Scott's description is right on. What a pain of a job.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:01 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Believe it or not, I ordered new clamps from Porsche for the upper and lowers and they are now Breeze clamps (or breeze-like). Both of my bottom ones were stripped.

Not to say that anyone would overpay Porsche for the same thing I did, but in case you were wondering whay the OEM offer is now.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Bill Reilly
Rennlist Member

Default Intercooler hoses

Quadcammer,
I was able to use straight sections of pipe by using the appropriate transition couplings on the ends. The two couplings at the turbos are actually 1-3/4" 45 degree elbows. The coupling on the left side of the intercooler is a 45 degree reducing elbow that goes from 2.5" to 1-3/4". The coupling on the right side of the intercooler is a straight reducer from 2.5" to 1-3/4". I used the tee bolt clamps. They aren't pretty, but they work well. The pipe I used was actually just thin wall electrical conduit - EMT that I painted black. I ordered some thin wall polished stainless pipe to upgrade the look, but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Total cost for all of the parts was a little over $100 and it has been working great. Let me know if you need any additional info. Incidentally my car is a 1989 930 with a 993TT motor, but I don't see where that would make any difference in the hoses we are talking about.

Bill Reilly
Old 05-25-2011, 01:53 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by Bill Reilly
Quadcammer,
I was able to use straight sections of pipe by using the appropriate transition couplings on the ends. The two couplings at the turbos are actually 1-3/4" 45 degree elbows. The coupling on the left side of the intercooler is a 45 degree reducing elbow that goes from 2.5" to 1-3/4". The coupling on the right side of the intercooler is a straight reducer from 2.5" to 1-3/4". I used the tee bolt clamps. They aren't pretty, but they work well. The pipe I used was actually just thin wall electrical conduit - EMT that I painted black. I ordered some thin wall polished stainless pipe to upgrade the look, but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Total cost for all of the parts was a little over $100 and it has been working great. Let me know if you need any additional info. Incidentally my car is a 1989 930 with a 993TT motor, but I don't see where that would make any difference in the hoses we are talking about.

Bill Reilly
Bill, do you have any pictures? Would like to see them! I have a 930 with a 993tt engine in too
Old 05-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Quadcammer,
I was able to use straight sections of pipe by using the appropriate transition couplings on the ends. The two couplings at the turbos are actually 1-3/4" 45 degree elbows. The coupling on the left side of the intercooler is a 45 degree reducing elbow that goes from 2.5" to 1-3/4". The coupling on the right side of the intercooler is a straight reducer from 2.5" to 1-3/4". I used the tee bolt clamps. They aren't pretty, but they work well.

Bill Reilly
I've done this as well, except I used 2" aluminum intake pipe with similar elbows/reducers as you describe. But, as you say, it didn't look pretty and replacing 2 clamps/connectors with the required 4 using silicone connectors on the ends of the pipes didn't make sense to me ... the hoses fail/tear at the ends/area clamped, and again using 4 clamps per side didn't make sense/seemed like 2x places to fail. So after one weekend and about 400$ in parts, I took it off... and went back to the orange ended reinforced oem ones.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:00 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill - Any chance you have pics??

Quadcammer,
I was able to use straight sections of pipe by using the appropriate transition couplings on the ends. The two couplings at the turbos are actually 1-3/4" 45 degree elbows.....Bill Reilly
Old 05-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Bill Reilly
Rennlist Member

Default Intercooler hoses

I don't have any pictures. I will try to take some this weekend.

Quick Reply: Intercooler hoses