Sponsored by:

Installation of Plastic Intake Runners

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 02:16 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Installation of Plastic Intake Runners

I couldn't leave well enough alone, and had to take my car apart further. The rubber lines from the wastegate actuators to the intake manifolds were butchered by some tech down the line, and I couldn't put it back together with them being all sad.

Soooo, I removed the driver's side intake plenum/runners/plastic thingy and replaced them. I would NOT recommend doing this, as it was a pain in the ****, but I'm an **** retent. When reinstalling the intake plumbing, it's quite challenging to get the throttle body side to fit into the rubber sleeves. Once you're in the rubber sleeves, the clamps are so tight against each other they won't move into position correctly without overlapping each other.

Has anybody had to do this before? Any pointers? I'm thinking maybe I have to loosen the passenger side intake runners too, but I'm not sure if that will actually buy me anything.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:39 PM
turboluvr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott,
Just did the same thing on mine, I decided to replace the wastegate vacuum lines as they had gone hard. Of course the T connection is down in the middle of the intake birdcage, so I had to remove the passenger side intake plenum. I used an old drum brake spring tool (pointed hook w/ a handle), got it under the lip of the connecting hoses and ran it around until it poped in. I think I had to loosen up all the connections to get enough play in the system and back the hose clamps off until they were very loose. You could tape the hose clamps in place so they don't move around on you, I managed to do without but extra arms would have been helpful. It's a PITA.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:05 PM
turboluvr
Intermediate

Just as a clairification, I didn't loosen the connections on the other side of the engine, just the clamps on the other side of the rubber intake hoses. This allows you to move the rubber connector around (slide it back and forth).
Old 05-13-2011, 04:35 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by turboluvr
Scott,
Just did the same thing on mine, I decided to replace the wastegate vacuum lines as they had gone hard. Of course the T connection is down in the middle of the intake birdcage, so I had to remove the passenger side intake plenum. I used an old drum brake spring tool (pointed hook w/ a handle), got it under the lip of the connecting hoses and ran it around until it poped in. I think I had to loosen up all the connections to get enough play in the system and back the hose clamps off until they were very loose. You could tape the hose clamps in place so they don't move around on you, I managed to do without but extra arms would have been helpful. It's a PITA.

Thanks, the tape idea is a good idea, and I probably have a better tool than a small screwdriver to use now that you mention it. Whose damn idea was it to stick the T-connector into that rat's nest??

When you removed the passenger side (opposite of what I did), were there any assemblies keeping you from moving around the intake once you loosened the clamps? In case I get desperate...
Old 05-15-2011, 03:04 PM
turboluvr
Intermediate

I don't remember anything that was too much in the way, of course that is a relative statement with regards to 993TT engines. I also had most of the easily removable pieces off the engine (air box, blower, I/C hoses etc). I chose the passenger side because of the fewer obstructions. I also relocated the T connection to allow for easier access the next time.

Quick Reply: Installation of Plastic Intake Runners