Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross school

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just to have some fun driving in a relatively safe environment and not worrying about flashing lights in the mirror. If I was really into it, I should get a Boxster/Cayman/914!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:21 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by hal m
just to have some fun driving in a relatively safe environment and not worrying about flashing lights in the mirror. If I was really into it, I should get a Boxster/Cayman/914!
cool..oh take a small folding chair if u have one..all the folks that will be there will be real helpful...and ....be prepared for ? on the turbo, you will turn heads.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:40 PM
racer
Drifting

x2 on checking to see if the host makes rentals/freebie helmets available. No one should want to make you put out $100-300 for a helmet for a hobby that might not "stick", so to speak

A Turbo is a fine AX car, more often than not at AX, its the DRIVER and NOT the car that matter.. especially with a beginner.. and if you continue, check the ego at the door when the 150hp 944 or worse, 115hp Miata crushes your times
Old 04-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
In MD they provide extra loaner helmets, inquire if your chapter does. Why AX a turbo though - hopefully it's not a tight course? Remember to tape up, and don't go too close to guy in front of ya as he might throw crap your way....Remove everything from car, mats, glove compartment bits, etc....lol...stay focused, get a good night sleep, else all the cones would look like they're pointed in the same direction...have fun...
autocross up here is one car on track at a time.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, here a 914 wins overall everytime. Beats the pants off any other car.

If the course is long enough you may have 2 to a course. You'll never get close to them though.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:13 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
autocross up here is one car on track at a time.
What I meant was at the starting line, if there's not enough room between the two cars, and there's gravel etc, chances are that when the lead car takes off, some of the gravel may fly back. I've seen it happen....oh..typcically there's two cars on track with lots of room between...

Take a blanket or tarp to layout your stuff on...

Last edited by TRINITONY; 04-27-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 204 Posts

Have a cheap head? Buy a cheap helmet.

Simple.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:34 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Have a cheap head? Buy a cheap helmet.

Simple.
not so simple - unless you're talking about buying a non-Snell cheapie. Once you have a certified helmet, the extra cost goes towards lighter weight, ventilation and other features. There is no testing of levels - note that Bell and the others do not say their hi buck lid protects any better than their basic SA helmet.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:00 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts

No helmets or tech check up hear. We wear touques.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:36 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Apparently the Ferrari Challenge series will be up at Infineon this weekend so I will have to deal with a bunch of girly men at the track! There will be 458's as well as 430's racing. Should be some screaming engines! Of course, I am immune to such sounds!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:35 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by dbf73
not so simple - unless you're talking about buying a non-Snell cheapie. Once you have a certified helmet, the extra cost goes towards lighter weight, ventilation and other features. There is no testing of levels - note that Bell and the others do not say their hi buck lid protects any better than their basic SA helmet.
Doug,

Without sounding harsh - please think however you want, but you clearly have never witnessed or been in a big one......

I am sure that there is passing the test in varying degrees as well - as long as they pass the minimum standard - then they all comply. Agree 100%.

Me? I will pay extra for all of those features like, removable (and denser) padding, adjustable supports and neck / forehead adjustments.

That doesn't even go into the comfort factor or the compatibility of HANS device or the Leatt brace.

Once again if its my head (and in this case a roll cage or steel structure like an A pillar) then i will take the best protection (and chance) possible. There aint no coming back from brain injury.

Simon.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:29 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Without sounding harsh - please think however you want, but you clearly have never witnessed or been in a big one......
wrong and wrong.

fwiw, the best fit, perhaps the most important factor, can sometimes be in the less expensive model. If the additional features have value to you, of course go for them. If Snell or even the mfg could document increased protection from a more expensive model, I'd be on it like Kirstie Alley hitting the buffet line.

But they don't.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:46 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by hal m
do I need to figure out my hat size to order a helmet online?
i would not recommend ordering on line unless you know the helmet fits your head / face appropriately.

you won't like an uncomfortable fit.

and buy a gaiter / head sock, they absorb the sweat instead of wicking into your helmet liner.

Craig
Old 05-02-2011, 02:31 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

So was up at Infineon yesterday and bought a Bell full face Snell2010 helmet and nomex balaclava. That is a damn expensive head sock! $70!

Got to watch some 430s lapping and the sound was not as impressive as I anticipated. Also was amused by the assortment of F-car owners in attendance. Ran the gamut from the latest 599's to Testarossa's and most stuff inbetween. One guy was puffing on a cigarette in a brand new spyder!!!

I have to say that I prefer P-car owners! Much more real!
Old 05-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Yomi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a nomex balaclava way back, and used it when doing hillclimbs. I haven't felt the need when autocrossing -- I generally wear a hat when not using the helmet so it collects some of the sweat. 800+ autocross runs on my old Bell and I don't have an issue with it. Perhaps more of an issue for track use where you have it on for an hour at a time?

I got a Sunprecautions hat and shirt I use for autocross days, and love them. The hat looks a little odd, but I sunburn really easily. Find out if you like autocrossing / track day first.

I agree proper fit on the helmet is a huge deal, both for safety and comfort. For new people most regions do have loaners, but you might be wishing you had a washable balaclave before wearing them depending on how old they are.

Yes, you'll get beat in raw time by A-mod monsters, B-mod Radicals, F125 shifter karts, CSP Miatas, and possibly some street tire Miatas. (For PCA events I imagine you can replace Miata with 914). I once heard a PCA club near my region dis-invited the Miatas because it was too depressing for the Porsche owners (this was a PCA member bringing his SCCA-prepped Miata to a club that has basically all novice autocrossers, so he probably would have beaten them in his 911 on street tires regardless).

You'll have a blast in your turbo, even if isn't The Car for the class. Driver makes a huge difference, which no matter what car you're driving, works against you when you're new and for you when you're an old-timer. I think some cars are easier to drive close to their potential (IMO STi and Evo), some are harder (older S2000, stock Viper, anything with a big turbo). Classing is done based on an expert driver with a lot of experience in the car, so totally ignores how hard it is to stay in a narrow powerband, deal with wonky suspension, handle turbo lag, handle more hp than grip, etc. That's all beside the point right now, just run what you brung, and believe me, everyone there will love what you brung.

Quick Reply: Autocross school