Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you hand your Porsche keys to a total stranger off the street?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you guys enjoyed it. I can see how the purists might scoff at the WRX motor, I consider myself a purist to a certain degree, but believe me once you nail the throttle this thing sounded like a vintage racer motor, plenty of character, you won't be thinking WRX motor when you hear it or drive it, (actually i kind of like the sound of a modern WRX modded up) but the motor matched the character of the car quite well. Here's some pics of the real deal 550's I snapped in the P-museum for comparison. I didn't realize that the reproductions were so affordable, definitely best car in terms of bang for the buck! Let's keep that karma going!
Attached Images   
Old 03-21-2011, 10:35 PM
Yomi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the story and the photos. Love it!

On topic: Little different, but I let a competitor drive my car at a ProSolo once. I'd never seen the person before, but they were reasonably well known at national events and their car broke due to no fault of their driving, so it seemed like the sporting thing to do. He was easy on the launch, which honestly was about the only danger. Not like he could drive off with it.

My Porsche? No way -- it's new to me and too much money for my situation. So what he did was neat (and scary).
Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

I think beck is working on or has produced a 904 replica.

now that thing is amazing.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:34 AM
mjrap
Intermediate

Default Spyder at Hot August Nights

Hope this adds to the Spyder story. A couple of years ago I was perusing the usual muscle cars and hot rods at the Hot August Nights car show in Reno, Nevada. This isn't the kind of show you find vintage porsches, so it stuck out like a sore thumb. It's such a small car it didn't really draw much attention, but it sure caught my eye. So I snapped a couple pics and I finally have a reason to share them. I'm pretty sure it's not a kit. What do you guys think?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:01 PM
fpcruz
Intermediate

I bet my turbo that this is a kit!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:06 PM
ducatiracer34
Intermediate

Did the owner mention if he used to store it in the Detroit area 8-9 years ago? There was / is a car club that rents out a heated warehouse near Ann Arbor, and one of the guys there had exactly the same car. A replica that you would not suspect was a replica. Super friendly guy, and great looking car. Never got a chance to drive it, though....
Old 03-30-2011, 08:26 PM
cesar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These guys put WRX engines in their cars.

http://www.specialtyauto.com/available_models.htm

clicking on "more" gets you more info:

http://www.specialtyauto.com/PORSCHE.htm
Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Originally Posted by mjrap
Hope this adds to the Spyder story. A couple of years ago I was perusing the usual muscle cars and hot rods at the Hot August Nights car show in Reno, Nevada. This isn't the kind of show you find vintage porsches, so it stuck out like a sore thumb. It's such a small car it didn't really draw much attention, but it sure caught my eye. So I snapped a couple pics and I finally have a reason to share them. I'm pretty sure it's not a kit. What do you guys think?

Probably a Beck actually. Well for one the black plate has 7 digits to it and that just didn't happen back then(6 numbers). I have Black plates on my Superformance with my real 7 digit modern number. So that in itself is wrong and the other thing is 1955 Cali plates were actually yellow with black writing so this car has it wrong(I believe). So judging on that alone I'd say its a replica....but in the end who cares its sweet and all I'm sure he wants to do is get the experience of driving a "550". Not everyone out there can afford the real thing but they love the experience of what it was like to drive the legendary cars of the past. Besides if my Cobra was worth a million bucks do you think I'd ever actaully enjoy driving it...hell no, I'd be terrified to death to take it anywhere...with the SPF I can flog it all day and drive it like the way it was intended. I bet the guy at Hot August nights and the OP's new friend does exactly the same.

Chad

Quick Reply: Would you hand your Porsche keys to a total stranger off the street?