Sponsored by:

High compression + low boost

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:49 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
The peak torque numbers make sense at an effective compression ratio of 16.5 PSI (11.2:1 compression + 7 psi boost) with an intercooled twin turbo setup + cams and race fuel.

Any acceleration GPS logs you can share? A comparison vs. traditional setup would be interesting.

I get a dynamic compression ratio of 13.98:1

http://www.wallaceracing.com/dynamic-cr.php

3.97" bore, 3.01" stroke, 5" rod, 11.2CR and 56 IVC (52 IVC for 993tt turbo motor)

Sorry Jean I have no such acceleration data.

I have driven LOTS of 993tt's with various turbos, (kevins, K24 hybrids, Tial A28 & A30) and the closest WOT power would be kevins stage2 setup.

The true beauty of this car is not WOT acceleration. Its the always there eager personality of the motor. On the road during part throttle this car feels more like a GT3 than a turbo car. Almost no turbo hit or torque surge. This type of throttle response works well in the back country roads of NorCal.

Think back to some of the high compression NA 911's that you may have driver over the years. There is a fun factor during the driving experience that numbers cannot express.

Last edited by MarinS4; 02-21-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:04 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by MarinS4
I get a dynamic compression ratio of 13.98:1

http://www.wallaceracing.com/dynamic-cr.php

3.97" bore, 3.01" stroke, 5" rod, 11.2CR and 56 IVC (52 IVC for 993tt turbo motor)

Sorry Jean I have no such acceleration data.

I have driven LOTS of 993tt's with various turbos, (kevins, K24 hybrids, Tial A28 & A30) and the closest WOT power would be kevins stage2 setup.

The true beauty of this car is not WOT acceleration. Its the always there eager personality of the motor. On the road during part throttle this car feels more like a GT3 than a turbo car. Almost no turbo hit or torque surge. This type of throttle response works well in the back country roads of NorCal.

Think back to some of the high compression NA 911's that you may have driver over the years. There is a fun factor during the driving experience that numbers cannot express.
MarinS4, Thanks for the clarifications.

I was not looking at the dynamic compression ratio, I am comparing two forced induction engines running at different compression ratios and boost levels, for forced induction, the formula to use is:
Effective compression ratio= ((Boost PSI / 14.7) + 1) * Current Static Compression Ratio

In practical terms @2500 RPMs (off boost) your engine will compare to a modified 993TT that would be running 0.3Bar of boost at 2500 RPMs. There is a clear advantage at those RPMs for your setup which will produce more torque..

The most telling story would be to log a run in 5th or 6th gear from 50-75mph with your car and compare it to any modified stock compression 993TT.

Quick Reply: High compression + low boost