Sponsored by:

Removal of Secondary Air Injection

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 07:06 AM
sfl993t4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal of Secondary Air Injection

Has anyone removed this system? Looks like it can be removed pretty easily (have the engine stripped down to this level), and can blank off the port on the y-pipe (pipe from the maf to the turbos).
Can anyone see any downsides (apart from slightly higher emissions for a short time after startup?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:30 AM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we did this on a couple of hot rod motors that we built....helps clean up the engine compartment....we even cut the boss off the y pipe....but need a program in the ecu for the check eng light...
Old 01-31-2011, 09:37 AM
sfl993t4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

Thanks for that, I couldn't think of any reason not to do it so will go ahead. I was thinking of making up a little plate to blank off the y-pipe boss.
Did you do anything to improve airflow within the y-pipe itself or did you decide there wasn't much to gain?

Steve
Old 01-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no we left that alone...have 993 turbo's making over 600 to the wheels with that pipe...
Old 01-31-2011, 11:54 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sfl993t4
Has anyone removed this system? Looks like it can be removed pretty easily (have the engine stripped down to this level), and can blank off the port on the y-pipe (pipe from the maf to the turbos).
Can anyone see any downsides (apart from slightly higher emissions for a short time after startup?
i have a boxster that i recently retrofitted with a 3.4L from a 996. in the process, i switched from US to RoW programming, which eliminates the need for secondary air.

i removed the changeover valve & solenoid along with the plumbing and the secondary air pump. no downside. for me, it's a weight savings and elimination of a potential headache.

Quick Reply: Removal of Secondary Air Injection