Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking forward hydraulic fluid Reservoir ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011 | 11:53 PM
Darrinboy
3rd Gear

Default Leaking forward hydraulic fluid Reservoir ?

Hi All, I've got a 33k mile 97 993TT. Just had some work done on a leaky left lower valve cover. Shop claimed the cover was warped and "as long as we are in there might as well replace it along with the gasket." After $1000 he mentioned that the forward (In trunk) hydraulic fluid reservoir was leaking and that its a known common problem. ends up with fluid accumulating eventually under the spare tire etc.... Can anyone out there verify this for me? He claimed that several "Fixes" exist but that nothing really works so "Stick a rag under it and forget about it..." Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers
Old 01-25-2011 | 11:56 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

How is the clutch pedal feel after the car has been sitting? Is it hard to depress and then gets lighter a minute after starting? Is there any oil residue if you pull up the carpet and look on the spare tire? Yes it's a common problem but if you're handy the fix can be very simple to do yourself. The part should be only 100-120 bucks from sunset or ebay. Only genuine parts of course
Old 01-26-2011 | 12:02 AM
Darrinboy
3rd Gear

Thanks for the quick reply! I do not drive the car often (every couple weeks or so. More in summer) I haven't noticed any difference in the pedal feel. I did pull up the carpet today and yes there was oil residue on the floor under the spare. Cleaned it all up. I restore classic cars for a living so I'm not afraid to tackle anything if you have a solid fix thats known. Whats the part you're referring to and are there any detailed steps posted here anywhere for replacing it?
Old 01-26-2011 | 12:37 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bad news for you. Your clutch slave cylinder has failed and the part is quite expensive and only available from a dealer. It's also a pretty nasty job to replace as it sits on top of the trans.
Old 01-26-2011 | 10:46 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by Darrinboy
"Stick a rag under it and forget about it..."
How is this ever an acceptable answer? I'd be looking for a new indy mechanic if I was in your spot.

IIRC, a new slave exceeds $800.
Old 01-26-2011 | 11:06 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Default Slave Cylinder and Accumulator

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Bad news for you. Your clutch slave cylinder has failed and the part is quite expensive and only available from a dealer. It's also a pretty nasty job to replace as it sits on top of the trans.
+1 :-( Had the same exact symptoms. While they are "in there" replace both the slave cylinder and accumulator while they are at it.

This is appears to be a very common 993TT "age" service item (problem).

My Story
Old 01-26-2011 | 12:09 PM
Stewart
Instructor

Originally Posted by uicnick
How is the clutch pedal feel after the car has been sitting? Is it hard to depress and then gets lighter a minute after starting? Is there any oil residue if you pull up the carpet and look on the spare tire? Yes it's a common problem but if you're handy the fix can be very simple to do yourself. The part should be only 100-120 bucks from sunset or ebay. Only genuine parts of course

I'm new to 993tt ownership (having just sold my 993C4 of 9 years). My clutch pedal is hard when ignition is off, but goes fully light within 2 seconds of starting up. Are you saying that this is a symptom of master cylinder failure?
Old 01-26-2011 | 12:12 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by Stewart
I'm new to 993tt ownership (having just sold my 993C4 of 9 years). My clutch pedal is hard when ignition is off, but goes fully light within 2 seconds of starting up. Are you saying that this is a symptom of master cylinder failure?
Could be, or the Clutch Accumulator is leaking pressure.
Old 01-26-2011 | 12:50 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

slave is $600 at sunset or parts.com, accumulator is about $100.

labor could be the killer.
Old 01-26-2011 | 01:41 PM
kanzilai
Intermediate

Hi Darrinboy,

I confirm, is a common problem..... I changed my cluch accumulator almost five years ago at 46K kms.

Unfortunately, lately, my cluch pedal feel as Stewart's pedal....

My clutch pedal is hard when ignition is off, but goes fully light within 2 seconds of starting up.
I've to worry about (now my odometer is 76K kms)

Ciao Nicola
Old 01-26-2011 | 02:06 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

The hard clutch pedal which feels normal after the engine is started is the clutch accumulator failure. This is a simple and inexpensive repair. It is NOT the master or slave.
Old 01-26-2011 | 05:47 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by ca993twin
The hard clutch pedal which feels normal after the engine is started is the clutch accumulator failure. This is a simple and inexpensive repair. It is NOT the master or slave.
True, but from what I've seen stated by Kevin and similar is that when one fails, the next is right behind, so it makes sense to do both.

My pedal gets a bit stiff after sitting for a while, but I'm just gonna deal with it when the slave starts acting up.
Old 01-26-2011 | 06:07 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

I've known several 993TT owners that have swapped out the accumulators, and only one guy I know ever changed his slave. Sure... they are related, but only by old age. They are different failure modes.
Old 01-26-2011 | 06:57 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Stewart
Not master cylinder, slave cylinder. I had this on my car and replaced just the accumulator and problem solved.
Old 01-26-2011 | 11:24 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ca993twin
I've known several 993TT owners that have swapped out the accumulators, and only one guy I know ever changed his slave. Sure... they are related, but only by old age. They are different failure modes.

+1 Did just my accumulator a few years ago (relatively simple/easy diy job) and no problems with the slave cylinder/overflow problem so far.

Quick Reply: Leaking forward hydraulic fluid Reservoir ?