Sponsored by:

immobilizer battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:05 AM
driveitlikeyoustoleit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default immobilizer battery

the battery in my immobilizer was fading and it occured to me (if i am thinking about this right) that if the battery goes and you are out and about there is no way to get the car started. change your battery before it is needed. it is an easy swap if you don't wait till the battery goes dead. if the battery goes dead then a reprogram of the remote is needed. directions below do not look fun.

1. Unlock the car with the remote and wait at least 3 minutes for the immobilizer to prime.

2. Switch the ignition on. The warning light (looks like a remote symbol) in the clock will go on and then off after 15 seconds.

3. Switch the ignition off and on again within 5 seconds. The warning light in the clock will light up and start to flash after 15 seconds.

4. Start to enter the key code within 5 seconds. Enter the code by turning the key off-on for each digit of the code. Wait for the warning light in the clock to come back on between each digit of the code. For example: 1302

1 = ignition off-on
wait for warning light to come on
3 = ignition off-on, off-on, off-on
0= ignition off-on (10 times)
2=ignition off-on, off-on

5. If the number was entered correctly the warning light will flash after the last digit is entered. When the light is flashing the remote can be programmed and MUST be programmed within one minute.

6. Press the button on the remote until the LED of the alarm system flashes. Operate all the remotes one after the other, wait for the LED to flash after each.

7. When all of the remotes are programmed (no more than 4) switch the ignition off.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:26 AM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude funny you mention this I was paranoid about this the other day. I noticed the door handles on my 96 turbo don't have standard key locks, you have to use the remote to open the car. If the battery were to die, how would you pop open the trunk without the power door locks opening from the remote to get you in? Anyway, I keep the trunk lid open and disconnect the battery while the car is in the garage. I don't remember having to reprogram the remotes, but maybe your immobilizer is different from the driveblock?

I just picked up the car 2 months ago and it reminded me of an article I read on the jaguar XF. Check this out for a laugh:

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...ate/index.html__________________
Old 12-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

You can open the door with the key. Just pull off the plastic tab on the driver's door handle.

Replacing the remote battery does not require total reprogramming. Just replace the battery and all is good.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:26 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I had a battery die on me once. It was horrible. I opened the car, the alarm went off and I had no screw driver to replace the spare battey I carried in the glovebox!
And the alarm went on and on and on and on and on and on until someone lent me a nail file.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:25 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

As delivered, the car came with a tiny Phillips head screwdriver to change the remote battery. I keep it and a spare battery in my owner's manual folder.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:09 AM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Lol, I didn't know about the tabs pulling up, good info! I also wondered why the previous owner left a spare remote battery in the cigarette lighter pocket
Old 12-23-2010, 10:06 AM
driveitlikeyoustoleit
Instructor

Originally Posted by Texas993
You can open the door with the key. Just pull off the plastic tab on the driver's door handle.

Replacing the remote battery does not require total reprogramming. Just replace the battery and all is good.
i believe the replacing the remote battery AFTER it goes dead requires a reprogramming. the reason i posted the topic is so guys can prevent this. if you replace the battery (quickly) before it goes then it is an easy swap.

UICnick best of luck with the new ride. i live in lincoln park....only have seen a handful of 993TT's in Chicago. a few months back i saw one your color heading south on LSD around fullerton.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:44 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

if you replace the battery (quickly) before it goes then it is an easy swap.
So you have to swap the battery in before all the electrons fall out of the remote?
Old 12-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 367 Posts

keep spare battery in glove box with mini screw driver and spare dme.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:36 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
keep spare battery in glove box with mini screw driver and spare dme.
I ditched the screw. The fob snaps together and stays that way fine without the screw. One less thing to carry.........
Old 12-24-2010, 01:07 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
I ditched the screw. The fob snaps together and stays that way fine without the screw. One less thing to carry.........
Lol, I also wondered why the screws were missing on the fob!

Thanks for the wishes driveit! Sounds like we may have crossed paths on Fullerton! Definitely don't see too many 993's in these Chicago roads. Too many potholes me thinks
Old 09-05-2012, 01:03 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts
Red face Car battery dead procedure - remote battery ok

oops my issue is with the car battery not the remote!

Last edited by PiB993; 09-05-2012 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Wrong battery thread remote vs. car battery

Quick Reply: immobilizer battery