Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWD lesson with big power and stiff suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 02:47 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Increasing canister pressures, increasing (stiffening) compression and decreasing rebound (making it easier for the wheel to stay on the ground) all up front, (as well as increasing compression in the back) would seems to make sense to me too. Lots of stuff/variables to play with. Seems easiest thing to try would be changing the moton settings if you're happy with the amount of body roll.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:55 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg H.
Why is it that 4wd is banned from road racing?

Greg H.
It appears that Porsche's GT3 Hybrid race car is ALL WHEEL DRIVE. Porsche sneaking in the back door again.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:57 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete
PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JJayB
It appears that Porsche's GT3 Hybrid race car is ALL WHEEL DRIVE. Porsche sneaking in the back door again.
Yes, but only 120kW (60kW per electric motor for each front wheel) for 6-8 seconds before kinetic recharging....
Old 12-18-2010, 10:32 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
Yes, but only 120kW (60kW per electric motor for each front wheel) for 6-8 seconds before kinetic recharging....
The point is that AWD is race worthy
Old 12-20-2010, 02:22 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Agree with y65mph, if you're lifting a wheel, revisit your suspension setup.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:34 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Why is it that 4wd is banned from road racing?
Originally Posted by JJayB
Techincally, is it "AWD" or "4WD"?

Because is it considered "AWD" if its not driven "all the time"?

Maybe that's Porsche's "backdoor" excuse to the AWD ban.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:49 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Plus the weight savings, right, Pstoppani!

IIRC, it's about 150 pounds total. Spartan and Wagongotya can correct me if I'm wrong.
86 pounds if you do not remove the viscous coupling from the transaxle.
i don't know what the VC weighs since mine is still in the car.

cheers

Pstoppani, if you do the AWDectomy, contact Mark @ FD Motorsports, they make a sweet front transaxle mount to lock the taxle in place once the big black tube is removed.

Cheers

Craig
Old 12-20-2010, 02:06 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny to see this still haunts us with 911s, though now it's just with the big power cars. Back in the olden days, even a soft sprung 911T with 140HP would lift and inside front............

As you're now with the same spring/shock package (though with more weight) as I have with the faux RS, it has to be setup. No inside wheel lifting with mine, though I'm nearly 300HP short of your output. Also, wondering what your typical running lap time is there. As I mentioned on the other thread, with RA1s I shoot for a comfort zone of about 2:01 flat on the full track. With the extra power, negated by some weight of course, similar tires should put you in the 1:57-8 range. If you're not there yet, then until you're a couple of seconds from the car's capability, I'd work through setup issues with someone who knows these cars beyond inside and out. We've all spent absurd sums on these cars; a grand or so for some expert help is a rounding error.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:11 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ken, I'm no where near you driving ablities! My best time is just under 2:05 on NT01s, which are similar to your RA1s. My theoretical best is a bit of 2:03, based on my best sector times. If you happen to know your bump/rebound and sway bar settings, I'd find that very useful.

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2010, 02:19 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

I guarantee you it's more about chasing your tail on a car with setup issues than "talent." Once you bust through a certain level of experience/competence/daring at this level we're pretty much all the same. Only those few truly talented guys (girls!) bust through and get to the next level, which is as much understanding how to optimize what you've got for the conditions of the day/hour/minute as it is going to, but not over, the edge.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
I guarantee you it's more about chasing your tail on a car with setup issues than "talent." Once you bust through a certain level of experience/competence/daring at this level we're pretty much all the same. Only those few truly talented guys (girls!) bust through and get to the next level, which is as much understanding how to optimize what you've got for the conditions of the day/hour/minute as it is going to, but not over, the edge.
I'm calling BS on this. Ken is being very modest with his driving ability. I have never been behind anyone else who can work their car like he can. Maybe its normal at a POC race, but not at any de I have attended.

Greg H.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:34 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

I'm calling BS on this. Ken is being very modest with his driving ability. I have never been behind anyone else who can work their car like he can. Maybe its normal at a POC race, but not at any de I have attended.

Greg H.
Thanks. But something to understand is that I've got 30 years with these things, starting with a short wheelbase '68 wannbe S when I was 18. I learned to drive a hair-trigger 911, and I have developed a skill. Whether that works for or against me is open to debate. (Think rear tire management.) I think anyone who drives the yellow car, and pretty much anyone is welcome to try it if we're at the track together, will probably come back saying how great it's set up (thanks to Steve Weiner for bolting the car together for the guy who commissioned the build) BUT that it is tail happy like no non-torsion bar 911 can possibly be.

Funny-ism from our private "club" track day last month. Experienced racer friend is testing a car he'd be driving in the 25 hours. It's probably 5-6 sec/lap quicker than me. Long time National level autocrosser, so he knows that loose is fast........to a point. Catches me going into 14, but not enough to outbrake me. I left my brake point just that bit too long, very abrupt on my turn-in, and get into this long slide through the turn. Car didn't go around, but it was iffy. So he tells me afterward it was the first time he's seen the driver he was chasing through the passenger window.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:04 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

I love this place

Quick Reply: AWD lesson with big power and stiff suspension