Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It Appears I have a Turbo Issue - Minor or Major?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts
Default It Appears I have a Turbo Issue - Minor or Major?

I drove the turbo on Sunday after it sat for a week or two. When I started it, it smoked from the left tail pipe for about 45 seconds. Not the puff of white smoke that occurres now and them. This was some very visable and prolonged smoke. I drove the car and it ran great.

Last night I found a small amount of oil on the ground under the right side. I started the car and there was no smoke at all.

From my search on prior postings regarding oil leaks, it appears that I have an issue with the right side turbo. What I can't tell from the postings is if this is a minor seal problem or a major rebuild.

I have 41,000 miles on it now and the PO had both turbos re-build at 29,000. Oil was changed 2,000 miles ago and the OEM Porsche filters were used. No oil was been added since the oil change.

What do your think; minor or major? TIA

Last edited by Chuck W.; 09-16-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Chuck,
Did you just get an oil change, or possibly add some oil?

Further, are you sure you have a not-overtightened Porsche branded small filter?

Might want to see if it happens again.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:30 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Chuck, this may be an excellent "opportunity" to upgrade your oil lines to those with the check valves. See Kevin's latest work at UMW. Once installed, you should clean your intercooler, and you may be fine.

Turbos generally will last 60,000+ miles if properly cooled. I think you are OK.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:49 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ca993twin
...your oil lines to those with the check valves.
I was thinking the exact same thing...
Old 09-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Chuck,
Did you just get an oil change, or possibly add some oil?

Further, are you sure you have a not-overtightened Porsche branded small filter?

Might want to see if it happens again.
No recent oil change or adding oil. Good chance I overtighteded the filter though. I'll check.

Chuck, this may be an excellent "opportunity" to upgrade your oil lines to those with the check valves. See Kevin's latest work at UMW. Once installed, you should clean your intercooler, and you may be fine.

Turbos generally will last 60,000+ miles if properly cooled. I think you are OK.
I read that post just before I found the oil on the garage floor. I spoke with my machanic who said my turbo lines were "upgraded" when the turbos were re-built. Are the lines that are listed in the other posting and the upgraded turbo lines differant?
Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

any chance your car sat in an incline nose up?
Old 09-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes; very slight angle in my garage. Enough though that there was a three inch diameter circle of oil with a 7 inch tail running down the the floor.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looking at the reciept of the turbo rebuilds it shows that they used Andial lines. These have the same function as the lines that Kevin is offering. I'll loosen up the oil filters and see if that helps.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:21 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As a side note, when I come back from a drive, and park in the garage, I run a fan next to the car with the deck lid open, for a few hours to help cool stuff down faster. Am I nuts? Is there any benefit to this? Or is this just good for my OCD?
Old 09-17-2010, 01:23 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I guess that leads to the question - how tight is just right? any rules of thumb or exact spec for the filter torque?
Old 09-17-2010, 01:27 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by dbf73
I guess that leads to the question - how tight is just right? any rules of thumb or exact spec for the filter torque?
Doug, IIRC, I think Kevin said one full turn in the other thread. I'll check.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:31 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Here what Kevin said earlier this week:

Originally Posted by Kevin
The filter fails and oil migrates from the main engine oil tank into the engine case (thru the oil filter)..

The updated/revised/oil return-sump tank lines prevent the oil from migrating to the turbochargers thru the "back-door".

I had a LA Porsche Service Manager call me last week. He mentioned that he instructs his techs to ONLY thread the factory engine filter 1/2 turn once the rubber lip seats. He then puts a hose clamp around the oil filter and safety wires the filter to prevent it from backing/spinning off.

I don't recommend this suggestion. I do crank the filters on hand tight to nearly a full turn. The risk is to great to have a filter spinning off.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:54 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth, I had the same problem as Chuck. Porsche filters always. Hybrid turbos went on the car at about 45K. Car now had about 62K. Andial lines on the car, but no check valve on the inlet side. Started with "more than usual" smoke on start-up. Smoking got worse, then a puddle on the (flat) garage floor.

Ended up having the turbos rebullt - it seems the seal at the thrust face may have been leaking. Installed check valves when the everything went back together. So far, so good (until my second cracked Fikse wheel sidelined the car...). Hopefully I don't see this again in the next 20K miles - I try to be very kind to the turbos on warm-up and cool-down.

An over-tightened oil filter is a MUCH chepaer fix, so definitely persue that avenue.

Best of luck!
Old 09-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
I drove the turbo on Sunday after it sat for a week or two. When I started it, it smoked from the left tail pipe for about 45 seconds. Not the puff of white smoke that occurres now and them. This was some very visable and prolonged smoke. I drove the car and it ran great.

Last night I found a small amount of oil on the ground under the right side. I started the car and there was no smoke at all.

From my search on prior postings regarding oil leaks, it appears that I have an issue with the right side turbo. What I can't tell from the postings is if this is a minor seal problem or a major rebuild.

I have 41,000 miles on it now and the PO had both turbos re-build at 29,000. Oil was changed 2,000 miles ago and the OEM Porsche filters were used. No oil was been added since the oil change.

What do your think; minor or major? TIA
Had the same symptoms just 4 weeks ago... Turned out that my value covers were warped and leaking oil and it was dripping down on the right rear exhaust and burning off which is what caused the smoke... Had them replaced and all seals in the car since it was all apart... Didn't want to just replace the value covers and gaskets and then have another weak seal show up so I bit the bullet and replaced just about every seal.. Also did the belts at that time to... Had it back about 2 weeks and runs great...

Let us know what you find.. My car only has about 18K on it...
Old 10-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Andrew 996TTS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the issue with the cars smoking after being parked with the front on an incline ? Every time mine is it leaks oil from both turbos (which were recently rebuilt and the check valve kit was installed) onto the ground and smokes on startup for a few minutes ?

Quick Reply: It Appears I have a Turbo Issue - Minor or Major?