Sponsored by:

Talk to me about ticking from the space heater out back

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts
Default Talk to me about ticking from the space heater out back

thats right ladies and gentlemen, my 993tt ticks from the engine. I'd prefer it not do that

Now then, here are the particulars:

The noise occurs hot and cold, engine temp doesn't seem to affect it. Load also doesn't seem to affect it as it will do it under cruise an decel.
When at full throttle its hard to hear and above 3000rpm its not nearly as prevalent.
It is not deep and loud like a main/rod bearing, it is a light ticking that occurs at about half pace to engine revs (indicating valvetrain).

With the windows closed, I don't hear it ever. When the windows/roof are down, I only hear it when close to a center barrier, tunnel wall, or parking garage.

The car appears to run fine. .8 bar easily, idles nicely, burns maybe a quart every 3500-4000 miles, if that. Just hit 75k miles.

The noise appears more prevalent on the drivers side, but given the characteristics described above, that could be due to my placement in the car.

So far, it seems I got a couple options:

1. exhaust leak
2. lifters/rocker/shaft
3. valve guides
4. All of the above

Now, I've rolled under there with the car running and a steth, and was not able to pinpoint the noise. It sounds like a slightly noisy air cooled engine other there, but the noise is not really prevalent at idle.

I'm waiting on a set of cat pipes, so I'll be 90% to turbo removal and subsequent valve cover removal at that point.

I don't mind throwing in new exhaust lifters, but I'd prefer to know the cause before I throw parts at it.

If anybody has any input on this noise, I'd greatly appreciate hearing it.

Thanks all.

Cheers.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:45 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What cams do you have?

I notice a bit more of a "click" with the RS cams than I did with my previous car which had stock cams.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

as far as I know, the cams are stock.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:23 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

your car has the same symotoms of mine, i replaced all the lifters and nothing changed. i had a good leakdown, car pulls great no problems etc etc etc. i have learned to live with it and just hit 81k miles. i switched to mobil twin v 20-50 and it quited down a bit. these cars can be fisty and sound different each time you start it. mine ticks louder after a lot of wot driving, if you are burning 1 q every 3500 to 4500 i wouldn't stress it. All 993tts have lots of valve clatter even the low mileage ones.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

interesting. I've got at least one more oil change worth of 15w-50 M1, but once thats done, I'll go to the vtwin oil.

From what I've read, when a lifter is bad its VERY noticeable. Mine is not very apparent.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting Oliver. I have never heard that noise on my car. However, it has a totally different sound than a stock TT.

BTW, I just drove my TT in a rainstorm.... and it didn't melt!
Old 07-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

haha, they don't do they? amazing considering how some people act.

hows the benz treating you
Old 07-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

one other thing I'd like to mention is that I have muffler deletes and no under engine tray, so there is nothing insulating all of the valvetrain, turbos or exhaust from the wheel well.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:43 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles on the motor? Diagnostics by the internet say's high mileage, valve guides which are a high failure rate item. More likely exhaust leak. Have you f..ed with the exhaust system?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:16 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Oliver, is this a "new" noise? Or has it always been there since your purchase last year?

I also have mufflers delete, and no under pan. Ran Mobil One 15W50, noe running Mobil Twin V 20W50. No ticking noise here.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by JJayB
How many miles on the motor? Diagnostics by the internet say's high mileage, valve guides which are a high failure rate item. More likely exhaust leak. Have you f..ed with the exhaust system?
75k miles.

I haven't messed with the exhaust, but I know the valve cover gaskets have been replaced, which means the turbos or the heat exchangers have been off.

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Oliver, is this a "new" noise? Or has it always been there since your purchase last year?

I also have mufflers delete, and no under pan. Ran Mobil One 15W50, noe running Mobil Twin V 20W50. No ticking noise here.
Tough to say. I bought it in december, so I've been driving with the windows closed the whole time. With the windows closed, you can't hear any ticking at all.

Noise hasn't gotten any worse.

If its valve guides, its gonna suck, but I'll fix it and get over it. I'm more concerned about the car being gone for good driving weather.

Thanks for the input guys.

Quick Reply: Talk to me about ticking from the space heater out back