Sponsored by:

Center Aux Oilcooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Center Aux Oilcooler

Here's a shot of the oilcooler I was planning to mount in the center opening of my RUF style bumper. To Brad's question on how well it will work there are pluses and minuses. The plus is that it has a large amount of core directly in the airstream, the down side is it is now your front bumper and chief debris catcher. That is a great advantage of the stock cooler location.

I never had temperature issues with just the single stock cooler but the upgrade can not hurt if you are always tracking your car. There is no way you can fit this type of cooler in a stock bumper without reworking the tin work of the cars tub which would mean no more spare tire and a smaller battery required. This cooler has been custom built from a much larger unit. It will be plumbed in series with the stock cooler in the same way the sidewinder auxiliary units are.

Rick

Last edited by Essexmetal; 05-24-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:14 PM
hiflexaust
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is a spare tyre?
Old 06-27-2010, 11:19 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

I have installed several GT oil coolers from carnewal and they are without a doubt the best option for these cars.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:01 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks a bunch for the pics Rick! Great craftsmanship btw.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:57 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, the Ruf CTR-2 has this type of cooler and the spare tire tub is modified so it no longer takes a spare.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:59 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

How much is the oil capacity increased by? Nice.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

NoH2O,

I don't know how much the capacity will increase. It just one of those " well this should fit" parts. Normally I make coolers from scratch and for this front application it would be a double pass type. The cooler is effectively split in half with the bottom (inlet) half going to the tank at the other end turning 180 in the tank and coming back in the top half to the outlet fitting. This method saves on long hose runs by putting the inlet and outlet on the same end. But I am lazy and it was easier to mod an existing cooler to quickly suit the application. I will save the trick stuff for the paying customers. You know what they say about the mechanics personal car always being the biggest piece of sh*t. Goes that was for fabricators too.

Rick

Quick Reply: Center Aux Oilcooler