Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ferrari question for Porsche 993 TT owners...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
Lets get something straight.... none of the cars mentioned are good investments. Now that thats out of the way you might, and I say might be able to drive one for a while and a few miles without it costing you an arm and a leg. Dont forget you're flushing the sales tax on a 200k car down the toilette too.

Here are two that in my opinion you might get away with.

Mid 80's 288 GTO not sure if its in your price range anymore

Late 80's early 90's testa rossa... sure they’re the epitome of 80’s styling but you can find a very very nice one for cheap these days… and they are probably reaching the bottom of the decay curve.

I've got a client who's buddy owns one of these 288 GTO's. Super rare. Worth over 1/2 mill
Old 05-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Okay cross the 288 GTO off the list. The TR is still right in his wheel house
Old 06-08-2010, 11:10 PM
parsonii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hijacked this thread in the worst way ...... 3 short weeks ago i was an fcar neophyte and thought a 355 was a car that could possibly hold it's value. i had no intent on buying a ferrari but as i researched the various cars to death and then found a suitable one, i pulled the trigger. thank you parnelli for starting this thread and thank you kuzi for cutting to the chase and pointing me towards this beauty:
Old 06-09-2010, 01:13 AM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by parsonii
i would probably say this car right here:

F355 GTS
I am enjoying mine.

At the time I bought it I was torn between the 993TT and 355GTS. Ended up with the GTS because the thing just sounds fantastic. Would still like to add a 993 someday however.
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2010, 02:11 AM
parsonii
Racer

inteternal medicine?? 355 guy ..... great choice and you should defiinitely pick up a 993tt. and in this internal medicine guy's opinion, it's the pinnacle in much of what porsche has done in form and function.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Parsonii

Great to hear that u took advantage of this thread! I have yet
to buy a F-car but I did just buy one of THESE this week to use as my DD!

http://www.insideline.com/jaguar/xj-...portfolio.html

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/to...-Portfolio.htm

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/jaguar/...lio-ar569.html

mine is the same color as the car in the links... Black Cherry Metallic
Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Riods007
Advanced

355GTS is a beauty but you can't use it as DD like a 993TT. I would be afraid to drive the F-car knowing anything that goes wrong will cost me a fortune.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 408 Posts

friend has a 288gto and thinks it is worth a million $
another has a testarossa he picked up for $45k.
both cool but outdated.
512bb is the deal now.
or maybe a 575
Old 06-10-2010, 11:54 PM
parsonii
Racer

Originally Posted by Parnelli
Parsonii

Great to hear that u took advantage of this thread! I have yet
to buy a F-car but I did just buy one of THESE this week to use as my DD!

http://www.insideline.com/jaguar/xj-...portfolio.html

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/to...-Portfolio.htm

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/jaguar/...lio-ar569.html

mine is the same color as the car in the links... Black Cherry Metallic
very nice ..... really like the lines of the car and those side vents look very cool. you picked well. parnelli were you at all concerned about the deserved or undeserved reputation that jaguars have of being mechanically problematic? please post pics of your jag here --- i would love to see the inside. you did well. ok so back to the ferrari question: absolutely kuzi is right the CS is the car to get. it has a cult like following by the people "in the know" about ferraris in general. check out this thread:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/f...od-thread.html

ok one more pic of the cs i picked up.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:49 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuzi
I'll take a stab at this for you guys. Imho.....the "only" modern Ferrari that will hold its value similarly to the 993 TT........is..........the Challenge Stradale! My reasoning. Number one, very limited availability. Solid, clean cars that show up on the market are snatched away almost instantly. The ones languishing are not "clean" cars. Number two is the fact that many in the Ferrari world including Concourse Judges consider the CS as the spiritual successor to the F40 in terms of visceral and purposeful nature. The focus of the CS in the market place was very similar to the F40 when it first appeared.

Stradales have most likely seen the bottom of their depreciation curve. At a current average of 135k for a clean one.........there is not a Ferrari out there that gives the same excitement and feel for the money. Not one.
I've studied this question from the "exuberant Ferrari neophyte" perspective and while this thread is cooked and done, I want to respond to say your post is two decades of experience in a nutshell. The 360 CS, if the buyer wants it, is the pick of the litter. The 430 Scuderia may one day follow it, but I'm not yet so sure. The CS has had an unfortunate life of late and the few remaining cars that have not been picked up by idiots and destroyed and left as trade-ins on bloody Nissan GTR's or Corvette ZR1's, means there's potential for them to experience a value resurgence that could be the first of the "post 2008 market crash" options for an enthusiast to own an exceptional car, drive it only a few times a year and see it appreciate in value.

As for the 348, 355 ... they're interesting cars, but very much in the "kit car" era of Ferrari and, while entertaining to drive briefly, just try really getting settled into one, let alone doing whatever fortifications it would take to make one even remotely safe on the track -- the 964 and 993 are "hewn from a single billet" compared to the frailty and flex in those 90's Ferraris.0

Of course, the F40 is the undisputed apex, but that respect is well and truly reflected in the price. Speaking from the experience of someone that hesitated when the F40 was unloved circa 2000, I have to admit to being more than a bit tempted to put a Challenge Stradale in a trailer and park it for special occasions and the odd visit to the track. The limiting factor being, I'm so much more involved with the 993, the Ferrari just doesn't have that place in the garage or my attention and it's "status symbol" aspects only widen that separation. Nevertheless, I'd still consider selling a kidney to get a perfect F40.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:26 PM
StoryBook
Advanced

It would be a real shame if you picked up that CS and didn't at least try it out where it was meant to exist. And that is on a racetrack. Nothing this side of a cup car or challenge car comes close to what the Stradale sounds like at WOT down a long straight. A couple of us got to experience that this past day or so at ORP. Not sure I've had this much fun in a car in quite some time.
Attached Images   

Last edited by StoryBook; 06-11-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:29 PM
StoryBook
Advanced

Originally Posted by parsonii
very nice ..... really like the lines of the car and those side vents look very cool. you picked well. parnelli were you at all concerned about the deserved or undeserved reputation that jaguars have of being mechanically problematic? please post pics of your jag here --- i would love to see the inside. you did well. ok so back to the ferrari question: absolutely kuzi is right the CS is the car to get. it has a cult like following by the people "in the know" about ferraris in general. check out this thread:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/f...od-thread.html

ok one more pic of the cs i picked up.
Congrats!!! Shes beautiful!
Old 06-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

I've owned Jag's for 13 years.....no problems ever.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:30 AM
parsonii
Racer

glanz wax and a final layering of pinnacle souveran spray wax ..... a great one, two punch that's effortless to apply. here's the car today:

Old 07-06-2010, 02:10 AM
revolution993
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

Love those CS but i still think one day the 993 turbo will match the price=)

Quick Reply: Ferrari question for Porsche 993 TT owners...