Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993tt rotors...... any reasonable upgrades from stock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

BBK is the ONLY way to fly..... (or stop flying)

Either go bolt on kit like the GTs' or waste a heap of money like this fool:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...93tt-pics.html

Simon
Old 02-21-2011, 02:27 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Janina993
Fluid (Motul RBF600) isn't boiling, pedal stays hard and no considerable pad fading (can't tell for sure). I have tryed originals, Ferodo 2500, EBC red stuff and yellow stuff. Haven't tryed more agressive pads because I HATE that scream when pads are cold and driving on public roads.

For excample braking from 200kph to 70kph I cant' reach ABS cutting any wheel even I push all I've got from my leg. Which is good, I don't want ABS take a part BUT I can feel with more grip between disk and pad will have postive effect for my braking distance because my tyres can carry more grip when braking.
Much cheaper to switch to more appropriate track pads for track days; it is so easy to do. I like Pagid Yellows.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:48 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Janina993
6- or 4-piston caliber? It's confusing you'd think 6 is better than 4, but top of Brembo range calibers are with 4-piston? And 6-piston is heavier. Don't know which ones?

Disk diameter is also confusing you'd think bigger is better. In other hand weight increase and spinning forces increase?

Some brake guru please little help here
FWIW back in the day I researched this topic at length as I was preparing my 993TT for racing. Spoke to experts from several countries, and the conclusion I reached was that for enduro racing, hot environment and a very powerful car, the 380mm 4 piston calipers are the best choice everything else considered and cost not being an object.

Recommendation came from Franz Konrad who is most likely the most awarded racer and team in the world with 993GT2s and has tried and tested every combo possible.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:42 AM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't give up on your rotors and calipers. They aren't the problem here....
Old 02-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Janina993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May stay away from EBC in the future... I know one solution is to use proper pad's on track. I have always used those squeak dampers between piston and pad and then quick pad change isn't possible due the dampers stuck very well in pad's. I believe those are helping a lot to cut heat transfer from pad to fluid.

Full Boost -> sorry, but what is BBK?

Thank you Jean, this is high value tip! Slotted or drilled? I prefer slotted, but my opinion is based only in my own disappointment for many cracked drilled disks. And what set up at the rear?

Craig -> As I said I think solutio could be using high performance pad's, but then I need to change pad's every time.
Second reason to change brakes is cosmetik. First full two day session at Nurburgring north loop and Porsche logos was totally cooked.
Well this can repeat in Brembo ones...
Old 02-21-2011, 07:34 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

You need to use the right tools for the job. Track pads for track use.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:22 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you are not willing to use proper pads for track use then you're wasting your time and money.

After your first track day the glue on the OEM anti-squeal dampers should be cooked enough that you can pull the pads out and swap them. Frankly, I have not found them to be worth using as I've not noticed any difference in squealing without them.

Your caliper logos are cooked because you are not using proper pads and overheating the brakes.

USE TRACK PADS!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:35 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Back to teh original post:

BTW the made in USA slotted rotors are on a 'special' thru the end of the month.
FREE ship and some $$ off -

Shoot me an e-mail,
Old 03-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Nautilus_27
AutoX

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Tell us what you are experiencing that makes you think the brakes aren't enough.

My 930 has 514HP and with the 993TT brakes I have, I assure you there is plenty o' brake there after 120 track days over 11 years - not a newbie here ;-).

Fluid boiling? Soft pedal? Pad fade?

What fluids and pads are you using?
I think a major difference between you cars is weight: what is working well on a 1.2 ton car does not produce the same on a 1.5 ton car.

Janina993, I would suggest you for for Pagid Yellow: after trying several pads, these are the one producing the best result (excellent feeling).

What you may try is lightng a little bit your car as well.

Then, on my previous track car (a deeply modified 964 Turbo with 420 hp and 1238 kg), I was re-drilling original disc to facilitate the pad dust going away and keeping more constant brake grips.
This is coming from my car guru with a lot of race track experience and it basically almost doubled the life of my discs (small craks around holes is nothing and even offer more grip: you just have to check it is not reaching the border of the disc).

The original drill is 4.5 mm and we re-drill at 6.5. You have to also re-smooth the holes borders with a conic tool so it looks like an original and won't quickly wear your pads.

On the 911 GT, I have the 380 mm discs and endurance calipers, allowing 24 mm thick pads.
The 380 mm has more surface to dissipate more heat and also the diameter allow better force and it's easier to put the right effort.

Denis
Old 03-20-2011, 12:30 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nautilus_27
On the 911 GT, I have the 380 mm discs and endurance calipers, allowing 24 mm thick pads.
The 380 mm has more surface to dissipate more heat and also the diameter allow better force and it's easier to put the right effort.Denis
Exact same piece of kit here. All slotted, not drilled. Works really well.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Nautilus_27
AutoX

Originally Posted by bb993tt
Exact same piece of kit here. All slotted, not drilled. Works really well.
And I have a ready to mount kit for the Ruf.

Problem here is that they check the caliper adapter every car check and they don't like this...

I also need to find the right wheels for clearance.

Denis
Old 03-21-2011, 12:02 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

^^ Luckily that's not an item that's checked where I live, Denis. I use 18" BBS Motorsport wheels (see avatar). You just need to order the correct centers to clear the rotors. After that it's just a matter of adding the two outer barrels to achieve the right offset. I'm sure you could use RUF 19" wheels as well, since they clear the RUF 380's. I prefer 18" wheels on our cars.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:33 AM
Nautilus_27
AutoX

Originally Posted by bb993tt
I prefer 18" wheels on our cars.
I definitely agree.

Denis

Quick Reply: 993tt rotors...... any reasonable upgrades from stock?