Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

potentially silly exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010 | 05:14 PM
rednoble
Advanced

Default potentially silly exhaust question

I currently have Dansk 100 cell cats & fabspeed bypass pipes. I'm tempted to sell my cats & bypasses and go with the AWE double bypass setup. Has anyone made this switch? What differences are there in performance and sound? I'm not at all afraid of loud exhaust so a bit louder setup isn't a worry, but I'd like to know how much louder they'd be.
Old 04-14-2010 | 06:57 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I have had cat bypasses in different configurations.
With RSR mufflers they were sublime.

With CAT bypass plus Muffler bypass the resonant droning made me want to stick icepicks in my ears on the way back from the track.
Old 04-15-2010 | 10:33 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Scott - is the sound of With CAT bypass plus Muffler bypass different from those little Evo style pipes?
Old 04-15-2010 | 12:27 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I'm not familiar with evo pipes.
Cats plus fabspeed bypasses is similar, but not quite as nice as, no cats and a performance muffler.
No cat plus bypasses , which is basically straight through = resonant drone.
Old 04-15-2010 | 01:49 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rednoble
I currently have Dansk 100 cell cats & fabspeed bypass pipes. I'm tempted to sell my cats & bypasses and go with the AWE double bypass setup. Has anyone made this switch? What differences are there in performance and sound? I'm not at all afraid of loud exhaust so a bit louder setup isn't a worry, but I'd like to know how much louder they'd be.
I currently have a similar set up to you with the Dansk 100 cell and bypass. The droning is pretty bad with this set up between 2700 and 3000 rpms. I can only imagine that eliminating the cat would make the droning worse. For street use I would not recommend it especially if you have neighbors that live close by .
Old 04-15-2010 | 03:35 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I'm pretty happy with Andial sport cats and bypasses.
It does not sound quite as agressive as cat bypass plus the sport muffler setup that I had on Frank, but it's a lot easier to get smogged.

I do not have any of that 2700-3000 drone, (which was the "death zone" for cat bypass plus muff bypass as well)

The other Scott, of course, has a custom center exit 'zaust system.
Old 04-21-2010 | 10:32 PM
TurboLaal
Instructor

I am running the AWE pipes, never had the high flow cat/fabspeed set up...if you like noise I think you'll be happy. I don't really find it to be that loud in the car, I do however wonder if a police officer was behind me with his windows down how long it would be till he pulled me over...gets pretty noisy outside the car even at idle...id really like it though

Quick Reply: potentially silly exhaust question