Sponsored by:

a problem with BRAKES

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:31 AM
OnlyAirCooling
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a problem with BRAKES

it is a lot of time that I disappeared... but so many things happened in my life! I'm the proud father of an incredibly beautiful daughter and changed home 4 times!!!

now I write cause I need your help, friends. And I know that there are plenty of expertized people here....

I'm using my 993TT not very often anymore, but 2 weeks ago it happened a very bad thing: after have turned on the car (it seems that the brake pump runs from 20...30 secs, at least I hear the "usual" noise of that), the pedal comes very hard. The light of "brakes out of order" lights, the car is still able to brake but... it requires an INCREDIBLE pression on the pedal and the car stops in very long spaces!
Just to make an example, to let the ABS act, it requires that you press the pedal with all the force of the leg... I made some 120.000 Km. with my 993TT it is the first time I have this kind of problems...

I inspected the pump, the booster, the ABS group, the relais box (3 relays), the pressure accumulator externally but it seems everything regular, nothing out of order (externally), no leakage of oil, no broken pieces, lines, pipes (plastic and metal ones) or whatever...

...everything seems in order, just looking externally all the pieces...

I'm just posting some pictures of everything, of course they are just external views due the fact that I did not try to dismount or touch anything.

may you help me just to localize where I could start to investigate?

thanks
regards
Romano Consul

Old 04-13-2010, 12:41 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you lost the power assist to the brakes. It should throw a code that can be identified by a shop that has the proper code reader.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:24 PM
OnlyAirCooling
Intermediate

thank you!

so do you think that the problem is originated by the component I highlighted on the image below?

Do you think that it is inspectable/reparable, starting from the point that I own the service manual, have gotta good mechanic expertize?

thank you very much

Romano

Old 04-17-2010, 05:15 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would hate to have you just throw parts at the problem. There is an electric boost pump not shown in the diagram that could also be the problem. Have a good mechanic troubleshoot it for you.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

OBD2
read the code with the code reader.
is that moisture build up on your car?
Old 04-17-2010, 07:16 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

Sounds like the booster may have taken a powder..first I would try and dry out the area and check the
relay connections (use compressed air to dry),if pedal is rock hard master cylinder is not the problem..
Old 04-17-2010, 07:35 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats on the new addition to your family!!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:16 AM
OnlyAirCooling
Intermediate

thank you very much guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!

specially to 911/Q45 who has directed my attention to study better the tech problem, in fact, paying more attention to the circuit and entering better in its draw, I did not find the origin of the "force" that helps the brake circuit! it is not pneumatic.... it is electric, and of course there is no way to increase the force impressed to the pedal on the brakes, if there is no other forces implied!

it is electric and following the schema... I found out another big pump, hidden behind the battery, in the front of the car, under the frontral plastic cover!

so, of course, in those cases, the first thing that 99% of the people does is to look accurately for a "macroscopic" problem, very easy to discover, and I found it !!!

the lower connector was just ... disconnected !!.
I don't know why and how it is happened but reconnecting it properly it, the car works perfectly, and the brakes come back to the usual perfect behaviour....

thank you very much to everybody again!

Chris... my daughter is the best "thing" ever happened in my life...

Romano
Old 04-22-2010, 08:41 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the birth of your daughter! You have your priorities right. Not an easy choice, sometimes.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:57 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

The simple fixes are the best! Also, as you say, taking-on a macro mind set is not such a bad thing!!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:39 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Nice trouble shoot, and another great Rennlist collaboration.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:31 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OnlyAirCooling
thank you very much guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!

specially to 911/Q45 who has directed my attention to study better the tech problem, in fact, paying more attention to the circuit and entering better in its draw, I did not find the origin of the "force" that helps the brake circuit! it is not pneumatic.... it is electric, and of course there is no way to increase the force impressed to the pedal on the brakes, if there is no other forces implied!

it is electric and following the schema... I found out another big pump, hidden behind the battery, in the front of the car, under the frontral plastic cover!

so, of course, in those cases, the first thing that 99% of the people does is to look accurately for a "macroscopic" problem, very easy to discover, and I found it !!!

the lower connector was just ... disconnected !!.
I don't know why and how it is happened but reconnecting it properly it, the car works perfectly, and the brakes come back to the usual perfect behaviour....

thank you very much to everybody again!

Chris... my daughter is the best "thing" ever happened in my life...

Romano
You don't have a picture of the connection do you by any chance?
Cheers
Old 04-25-2010, 08:12 PM
OnlyAirCooling
Intermediate

I'll take some pics ASAP... they could help more than one TT owner!

Quick Reply: a problem with BRAKES