Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild Questions (after much searching)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:36 AM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Rebuild Questions (after much searching)

In the market now for a 993TT and I am contemplating my options on cars and prices. I believe that a rebuild on the cars will set me back $20K, the question is when do I get into "normal" rebuild time. I am looking at cars in the 60-80K miles range now and want to know if I spend more and find a 30-50K mile car am I actually saving money.

I know these cars are not 99-00 996s and that they are significantly more robust and reliable but the "rebuild" word keeps coming up in searches and I can't seem to find a consensuses of what a normal mileage is for a rebuild.

I thank anyone who takes the time to answer what I am sure is a common question. I am dropping off the title for my 993 C2S today to the new Rennlister owner so the tears are in my eyes as I type.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

There is no exact time for a rebuild, nor does a low mileage example guarantee that you won't need a rebuild.

My advice is to buy the best car you can afford based on appearance and PPI results, regardless of mileage.

I also think $20k is high unless you are going to aftermarket products.

A simple valve guide/bearing/resizing should be doable for $15k or less.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
There is no exact time for a rebuild, nor does a low mileage example guarantee that you won't need a rebuild.

My advice is to buy the best car you can afford based on appearance and PPI results, regardless of mileage.

I also think $20k is high unless you are going to aftermarket products.

A simple valve guide/bearing/resizing should be doable for $15k or less.
No more than $10k for a simple top end job and closer to $8k is a good price imo. For $20k you can get a sick 3.6 monster built by a name
Old 01-30-2010, 12:49 PM
msw
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 16 Posts

having just been through a 'rebuild' of my 97 turbo with 250K miles (that changed into swapping in a turbo S engine with 6K miles)...i think the 'cost' of the rebuild is quite variable (and depends on what you mean by rebuild)

parts add up quite quickly (catalytic converter $2K each, turbos $1500 each) gets you to $7K alone...

also depends on if you want new parts or are comfortable having parts 'rebuilt'
Old 01-30-2010, 01:04 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think that's why you need about a $10-15K cash "slush fund" when considering a 993 Turbo purchase. Regardless of mileage. Put the money in the bank and don't touch it. This should be part of the total car purchase proposition.

It's not a matter of IF the car will need a top-end done; it's only a matter of "WHEN".

I don't want to be 'cash poor' when this event arises and possibly have buyer remorse, nor delay the work when it becomes necessary. This strategy works for me.

When I bought my '97 Turbo in October with 32K miles, I fully expected to do a top-end in about 4 years. I also expect to put about 6,000 miles on the car per driving season (April-Nov.). If it is sooner, I have the money ready. If it happens later, I am only that much more prepared, and could possibly budget for additional upgrades with addition savings.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:32 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 82 Posts

Thank you all very much for your responses, you have further set my mind at ease.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Let me know where you can get a name brand 3.8L monster for $20K. I've been quoted over double that.

The problem with some of the numbers thrown out above is that the "while you are there" stuff will add a significant amount. And then who isn't going to want to increase performance just a bit?

Greg H.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Greg H.
Let me know where you can get a name brand 3.8L monster for $20K. I've been quoted over double that.

The problem with some of the numbers thrown out above is that the "while you are there" stuff will add a significant amount. And then who isn't going to want to increase performance just a bit?

Greg H.
3.6 read the post. Rods, cams, mech valve train, Water injection, custom tune and you have monster 3.6 motor. Not surprised you were quoted $40k, porsche owners have been taking it in the rear from these tuners for years. Who quoted you that?!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:45 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who sells a monster 3.6 for $20K ?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pstoppani
Who sells a monster 3.6 for $20K ?
Protomotive but thats dealing directly with Todd. Don't know what the proto resellers charge
Old 01-31-2010, 11:59 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
... porsche owners have been taking it in the rear from these tuners for years..
+1

I agree that there's a lot of Porsche tax being applied. However, it's hard to argue against massive amounts of labor hours. If you can DIY you would save a ton of cash...
Old 01-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

I think you can get a very decently powered engine for around $20-25k in the US if you have a solid engine and stay with 3.6Ltrs and want to be within low to mid 500s HP.

Keep a stock IC, dont change your P&C, keep your stock oil pump, no work on the heads except a valve job, guides and surfacing and sealing. Most likely your springs & retainers will need to be changed. Head studs, bearings, etc..

The custom ECU mapping is key, for this money you can get a chassis dyno tune.

Obviously I am not recommending any of the above, just saying it can be done in the US with this money.

Quick Reply: Rebuild Questions (after much searching)