Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My current modification plans

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010 | 02:15 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

JMHO,......

If you install a custom oil cooler such as what you pictured, I'd be using -16 lines, not -12 as the smaller ones (along with all your fittings/adapters) are restrictive at higher RPM. The consquences during track days are not pretty.

I've had a little experience at this,......
Old 02-20-2010 | 02:42 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

hmm. I guess bigger is better in this as in most situations ...
Old 02-20-2010 | 02:49 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Here is what I ended up doing:

Beefs:

The rs shift lever doesn't fit into the AWD shifterbox thingie without some gentle persuasion courtesy of a 5lb sledge
The rs shift lever doesn't have the "step" on it, so the stock shift **** is all wobbly. It will require some electrical tape.
Oliver.... Nice write up, thanks. I am going to do the Golden Rod soon. Based on your experience with the RS shift lever, is it a worthwhile mod? TIA
Old 02-20-2010 | 03:07 PM
Bergamasco
Three Wheelin'

Gee... I am really not sure about all these mods.... I think you should return it all to a stock configuration, do some really good detailing and put it back in the garage with a cover on it. :-) I am sure with some hard work it could become a wonderful garage queen.
Old 02-20-2010 | 03:57 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
JMHO,......

If you install a custom oil cooler such as what you pictured, I'd be using -16 lines, not -12 as the smaller ones (along with all your fittings/adapters) are restrictive at higher RPM. The consquences during track days are not pretty.

This guy used -12an and seems to be ok: interesting:

http://p-car.com/diy/oilcooler2/

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Oliver.... Nice write up, thanks. I am going to do the Golden Rod soon. Based on your experience with the RS shift lever, is it a worthwhile mod? TIA
Chuck, not sure yet, car is still up (btw, a set of old A4 wheels is a great substitute for jackstands or a ramp).

I'm just degreasing, repainting the center tray, and reassembling. I'll have a drive report by tonight.

Originally Posted by Bergamasco
Gee... I am really not sure about all these mods.... I think you should return it all to a stock configuration, do some really good detailing and put it back in the garage with a cover on it. :-) I am sure with some hard work it could become a wonderful garage queen.
damn garage queens
Old 02-20-2010 | 04:13 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
JMHO,......

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
This guy used -12an and seems to be ok: interesting:

http://p-car.com/diy/oilcooler2/
Maybe Steve's advise is in order.

Plus there's a "warning" in that DIY:
Little warning, I’m pretty sure fitting cooler in this location, with oil line fittings on top won’t fit if you have fog lights but using fittings on bottom in my opinion is not good idea because then the cooler might not fill up completely when the oil goes through.

Another word of caution, if you use measures, locations & other details explained here and screw up in some way; cooler or something else doesn’t fit, your motor or something else gets somehow fu*ked up, don’t blame me, you are doing this on your own responsibility. It worked in my car but maybe your car is different…
Old 02-20-2010 | 04:41 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

mines AN12 as well and I have more fittings... seems okay so far but Steve certainly has the experience obviously. The oil flow to the cooler is the flow back from the engine to the reservoir so I guess if there is some 'restriction' you're going to get oil level built up in the crank case? and make the scavenger pump have to work harder. Hopefully the flow is the same (and the pump is okay with the slightly higher pressure). The stock turbo s cooler and the cargraffic/ruf ones are I believe AN12 (or metric equivalent). It's the risk you take with modding in general.
Old 02-21-2010 | 11:08 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

so I finished everything up and I'm very happy with the end result.

The 6th gear whine is basically gone, the tranny shifts great, acceleration seems better, idle seems smoother, etc.

Everything went pretty easily, and degreasing all the nooks and crannies of the tranny were the most time consuming part (aside from dimpling the tunnel cover).

Overall, a very positive experience.
Old 03-26-2010 | 12:03 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

So I installed the Wevo Black engine mounts. Tightened it up nice, no real additional noise or vibration. Good mod. One of my stockers was leaking so it needed to be done.

Install wasn't too bad but getting the passenger side mount out was a bitch. Once the stockers were out, it was a 15 minute affair.

Quick Reply: My current modification plans