Sponsored by:

New owner impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:41 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

I have a 997tt that is significantly faster and with far more amenities than my 993tt. For me the 993tt just feels like a comfortable pair of jeans. It is almost like I have been driving the car forever. You may get to that feeling one day or maybe not.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:37 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

lift in the turns, oversteer disappears. These cars were not designed to to drive like front engined cars. There is a new learning curve which you will be starting at the bottom of. Get an allignment stiffen up the suspension ( Basically your options are vast when it comes to dialing out oversteer. Try some Pss9's or pss10's play with adjustments, if that's not enough send em out and have em re-valved I am running 650lb springs up front with 275s and 1000lb rear with 315s) If you need more options, try somes sway bars, go some soft up front and stiff in the rear and you can quickly become tail happy. Try monoballs or evo uprights. There are lots of ways to get it just as you like it.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:15 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
The steering is very heavy and yet precise. In fact I wish it were a bit lighter at parking lot speeds. My powersteering fluid was a bit low, so its possible I got some air in the system. I added some fluid and will keep an eye on it. Feedback is very good. I get some creaking and almost popping during tight turns when I'm coming off the clutch with the wheel turned. Seems like ball joints or CV joints to me. Any ideas?
That doesn't sound normal. While the steering is certain to be heavier than a Mustang, it shouldn't feel like you want more boost at parking lots speeds.

Acceleration is quite frankly very disappointing.
Compared to your Cobra, yeah, it is going to be VERY disappointing but should not come as a surprise!

Brakes are good, but need some heat in them before they work well.
I wonder what pads are on it? I've not experienced this need to heat them up on the OEM pads.

Handling is not terribly impressive. There is an extreme amount of front end push.
AWD cars are notorious for understeer. In my experience, the 993 Turbo's understeer can be mostly dialed out with a proper suspension setup. On the street, I run my PSS9's at full soft and the rears a couple of clicks stiffer. At the track, I run the fronts in the middle and the rears at full firm. This still understeers a small amount and when I want to get rid of it, I can adjust the sway bars to soften the front or stiffen the rear.

performance wise, we're gonna need some work.
Ha, ha! That's what I say about every car I've bought (including my last two Mustangs, 03 Cobra and 08 Shelby GT; neither stayed stock very long)

Enjoy the combo of your Cobra and Turbo; it's a fun pair to have at the same time
Old 12-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

sadly the cobra's gotta go. I just don't have the room for 3 cars.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:20 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

sadly the cobra's gotta go. I just don't have the room for 3 cars.
As you can see from my sig, mine had to go too, to make room in the garage!

Well then, enjoy the Turbo for what it is
Old 12-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

oh, and I have the 340mm raid/aj/fvd whatever steering wheel, which I've heard increases the effort. Whole smaller lever thing and all.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 204 Posts

Quad,

Modified suspension doesnt mean "correctly dialed in suspension"

The car should not exhibit some of the traits you are talking about. Like others have said - these respond BEST when they are aligned correctly - it really makes that much of a difference... And this will be aVERY different drive (in all aspects) than your Mustang.

Sure the Mustang was/is fast... in a straight line... but in the morning it will always be a ... well a Ford

The TT isnt for everyone - it has, as some say - a soul - and it will come with lots of little things that will either charm you - or bug the crap out of you... It may just not be the car for you?

I hope a PROPER (read rear kinetic toe) alignement , some bigger turbos and an ECU helps fix the problem.

Simon.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Quad,

Modified suspension doesnt mean "correctly dialed in suspension"

The car should not exhibit some of the traits you are talking about. Like others have said - these respond BEST when they are aligned correctly - it really makes that much of a difference... And this will be aVERY different drive (in all aspects) than your Mustang.

Sure the Mustang was/is fast... in a straight line... but in the morning it will always be a ... well a Ford

The TT isnt for everyone - it has, as some say - a soul - and it will come with lots of little things that will either charm you - or bug the crap out of you... It may just not be the car for you?

I hope a PROPER (read rear kinetic toe) alignement , some bigger turbos and an ECU helps fix the problem.

Simon.
Simon,
I agree. I'll be having the alignment checked/corrected later in the week.

The whole "its a ford thing" is kind of not my favorite. It looks good and performs well, so brand was not that important.

I don't mind the soul of the car, but for the pinnacle of porsche engineering, I guess I was expecting mroe out of the box. Either way, I will make it right.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:37 PM
AaronR968
Racer

When you say that it the suspension is upgraded, what parts were used? You may also want to check the heights of the tires/ rolling diameter of the wheels. The car was designed for a specific diameter and that may make the difference. Also the tires that you have on the car can make a huge difference. I do not and have not owned a 993tt but have driven quite a few over the years. On my 968 I had some kuhmo's that made the car handle like crap, changed them to some conti's and while not the best was a dramatic improvement. There are ways to make the car just as fun (much different but just as fun) as the 700HP Mustang. All of the cars have their place it is just a different feel. Do you enjoy the feel of nothing then big boost, or rip your head off torque of a big V8? All in good health! Hope this helps but may not be anything you don't already know.

Welcome BTW.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:25 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts

Coming from a '74 260Z my 993tt blows me away. I looked for 3 years to find my 8,400 mile car at a decent price so I drove lots of 'em and found the suspension quite different on every car. I figured I'd have to ditch the stock set-up but it is really firm compared to the other 993tt's I tried so I'll keep it for now. That squeaky windshield though is a pain.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Quickfix for your understeer problem, go for one size wider tires in the front, also make sure your tire pressures are ok, don't go with factory setting, have front and rear close to the same pressue (a couple of PSI). Understeer should go. If that is not enough you move to changes in camber and front toe. If that is not enough, have the kinematic toe checked out by a competent tech with the tool. If that is not enough, you need to change your driving style as was mentioned above, experiment with mass transfer, it impacts hugely this car, this could go in the beginning of this post too.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll bet the previous owner saved a buck by replacing the rear tires, but not the fronts. I tried that once, as the rears wear twice as fast, and even at modest speeds it had terrible understeer. The old front tires were much harder than the new rears, so they didn't grip nearly as well and presto-big understeer.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Assuming your front tires are not worn out
Old 12-09-2009, 09:15 AM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

oh, and I have the 340mm raid/aj/fvd whatever steering wheel, which I've heard increases the effort. Whole smaller lever thing and all.
i went to this wheel and noticed increased effort on turning. i went to the 996 3 spoke and i was good again. i also preferred the slightly larger size as i could rest my elbow on the door armrest and still reach the wheel.

in the meantime, i keep noticing how many 993tt's are now living in NJ. we really need to get a drive together this spring.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

some more info:

front tires are about 60%, rears are brand new sumi htr zIIIs. Front tires are the 235/35/18 size, rears are 295/30/18. Pressure is 33.5 up front, 36.5 in the back.

Car has

M030 springs
bilstein hds
h&R sway bars at full soft

Heres the current plan:

Move the rear bar to the stiffer setting
Have a good alignment that looks at kinematic toe

I think part of what I'm feeling are the characteristics of an AWD car. you simply need to drive ti different. With the mustang (which had 275s up front, and 315s in back), you could slow it down, then blast on it on the way out and it had so much tire that it just stuck pretty well. Also, I noticed that since the 911 is so much quieter, you don't quite realize how fast you're going. Finally, the turn is actually a pretty nasty off camber decreasing radius sweeper, so I will need to adapt to the awd pulling the car wide.

I guess I was expecting a one-with-god handling experience out of the box, but I think some tweaking will make it better.

Also, I'd like a grippier brake pad for street work. Hawk HPS a good choice? I run them on the cobra and like them.

Finally, is there a way to make this car louder than it is with just a muffler bypass without paying $1700 for what amounts to a 12" stretch of plain pipe (i.e. cat bypass)?

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

Josh, we most certainly will.

Quick Reply: New owner impressions