Sponsored by:

315 - 30 rear and 245 - 40 front

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Pete on both points 100%.

I ran AO48's for a while and they would get greasy (only rears) after 6 laps when they would get over their temperature sweet spot. I think they are a perfect AX tire since they come up to temp instantly. I have run NT01's for over 2 years and could not be happier with performance especially verses their lower cost. If there is any complaint some might have they are noisy at sustained highway speeds. As for heat cycles I trailer now so the street heat cycle is not in the count and for that matter I have never had them last long enough to worry about maxing out the heat cycles.

If I run some long stints on the 315's they do develop the "groove of death" as other 993 guys have called it. The tire gets a defined change in the tread surface one third the way in from the inside of the tire. For purposes of description the tread wears at an angle downward to the inside radial groove ( factory groove around the tire) and then turns upward slightly towards the edge of the inside part of the tire. You can feel it easily with your hand. The car is RWD and does get slid around a lot but I have not completely ruled out the alignment contributing to it.

Any one else get this on their NT01's ?

Rick
Old 11-12-2009, 11:01 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Essecmetal and others: I've read lot's of good things about the NT01's. They seem to do pretty well for combined street and track use. I've heard though that they are not recommended for colder climates, is this true? Obviously I never drive my car in the winter but it does get down to around 50 fahrenheit sometimes..

Eventhough I do mostly street with my car I look at it as a performance car so I might as well have tires that are "performance tires". These are available in the right sizes (245-40 / 315-30) and seem to tick all the boxes. I try to stay out of the rain as I don't enjoy driving in it. For a dry performance tire that is going to see both street and track, why not?
Old 11-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I think someone already mentioned this, but the Nittos are very noisy. I'm not sure I would like them for a street tire with some track use. They are tolerable for a track tire with some street use. They do seem to be quieting down now that they are almost bald. Or else I am getting used to them.

Greg H.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:16 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Essexmetal
If I run some long stints on the 315's they do develop the "groove of death" as other 993 guys have called it. The tire gets a defined change in the tread surface one third the way in from the inside of the tire. For purposes of description the tread wears at an angle downward to the inside radial groove ( factory groove around the tire) and then turns upward slightly towards the edge of the inside part of the tire. You can feel it easily with your hand. The car is RWD and does get slid around a lot but I have not completely ruled out the alignment contributing to it.

Any one else get this on their NT01's ?

Rick
Not really understanding this; do you have a photo?
Old 11-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Viggo,

Yes there is a big warning sticker on the new NT01 stating things like let set and stabilize at 70 degs. temperature for 24 hours before mounting and do not let freeze. Direct information from a Nitto engineer is that they are able to freeze but the must be static. The compound they use will crack when flexed if too cold. Good reason to move South or not do track days when freezing.

Pete,

Might be able to put a straight edge on a tire and get a pic. Would be a weekend thing if I can get to it. I think it is dependent on driving style more than anything. Couple people around here get on the power pretty early and are spinning up the tires as they slide out of the corners. I tend to do that and the groove shows more on the inside right tire on the tracks with a lot of medium right handers. Static camber setting changes do not affect the severity or remove it. It is not a big deal really because over a long weekend 8-10 hours of running I need new rubber anyway.
Rick
Old 11-18-2009, 11:15 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Essexmetal
Viggo,

Yes there is a big warning sticker on the new NT01 stating things like let set and stabilize at 70 degs. temperature for 24 hours before mounting and do not let freeze. Direct information from a Nitto engineer is that they are able to freeze but the must be static. The compound they use will crack when flexed if too cold. Good reason to move South or not do track days when freezing.

Rick
Thanks Rick. With risk of getting OT here , I've ruled out the Nittos for the reason you stated. An all out R-compound will also pick up all kinds of debris and stuff on the roads and is far from ideal as a double duty tire. So the PS2s seem to be a good alternative although a bit "boring" from a track perpective.

I spoke to my local tireshop (pretty knowledgeable) and they said that Michelin has introduced a new compound to attrackt a greater crowd. The tire is called Michelin Pilot Sport Cup+ and is something in between the PS2s and MPSCs. They are not just MPSCs with more thread pattern but rather a mix of the two rubber compounds AFAIK. Almost as good traction in dry conditions as the MPSCs and much more driveable on the street. Very interesting. The downside is ofcourse, the price. 330usd ea. for fronts and around 550usd ea. for rears. They are only available in 19" so far. Front 235/35/19 and rear 305/30/19. Optional on the new GT3RS and GT3. N-rated. Rolling circumferance is 2.3% difference F/R, which a little more than standard but should work.

Thoughts?
Old 11-18-2009, 12:05 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

I thought the MPSC (N) spec in 19's were already like neutered MPSC's. Now there is an even weaker (+) version? Dunlop Dirrezia Silverstars are supposed to be street tires with R comp grip.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

From what I've seen on track, the PS2 is an awesome tire. When you consider the snap break away characteristics of the MPSC, most people are not a whole lot slower - if any - on PS2. From what I have seen.

Greg H.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:01 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
I thought the MPSC (N) spec in 19's were already like neutered MPSC's. Now there is an even weaker (+) version? Dunlop Dirrezia Silverstars are supposed to be street tires with R comp grip.
Yes the new ones are MPSC+. There are MPSCs in 19" and MPSC+s in 19". Whether the difference between those are in the thread pattern only or the thread pattern and the rubber compound I dare not say. My guess would be the latter though. I remember reading somewhere that they altered the rubber compound of these to handle rain better while the loss in grip on a dry surface is minimal. Good if it's true.

Originally Posted by Greg H.
From what I've seen on track, the PS2 is an awesome tire. When you consider the snap break away characteristics of the MPSC, most people are not a whole lot slower - if any - on PS2. From what I have seen.

Greg H.
While I have no experiance with the MPSCs whatsoever, my understanding is that laptimes (i.e grip) are significantly improved with the MPSCs vs the PS2s. On our (pretty short) tracks here in Sweden, PS2s are typically about one second slower on a one minute track. Zillion things to consider here ofcourse but all else equal. Also provided that you can handle the grip of the MPSCs and that you can get them up to (and keep them at) operating temperature.

I understand what you mean about snap brakeaway characteristincs though, it's an interesting point.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:27 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg H.
I think someone already mentioned this, but the Nittos are very noisy. I'm not sure I would like them for a street tire with some track use. They are tolerable for a track tire with some street use. They do seem to be quieting down now that they are almost bald. Or else I am getting used to them.

Greg H.
agreed, very noisy
i just purchased a set of Hakook Ventus 12 something or others, primarily for AX use, but will scrub off the mold release agent during a TT @ Willow Springs.
I bought them because;
1. They come in the sizes i want; 295 - 30 X 18 and 245 - 35 X 18
2. they are reasonably priced ~ $850 mounted and balanced
3. got good reviews from mags and websites
4. they are our SD region 993 "spec series" tire of choice. 3 of us are trying to run comparable cars in 2010

will let you know how it goes
Old 11-23-2009, 11:29 PM
TurboLaal
Instructor

Are you going to mount those 295 tires on the stock rear 10" wide wheels or something wider?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:08 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboLaal
Are you going to mount those 295 tires on the stock rear 10" wide wheels or something wider?
if you're asking me, the answer is both.
I have a set of 295 - 35s on the stock 10" twists, (street tires) and the new tires (AX tires) will go on 11" 996 TT wheels.

there is a noticeable difference in the sidewall profile when comparing the two

cheers

Craig
Old 11-24-2009, 09:51 PM
TurboLaal
Instructor

Thanks for the info, do you have any pictures of both profile differences?
Old 12-24-2009, 09:04 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboLaal
Thanks for the info, do you have any pictures of both profile differences?
I can take some, please pm me after the holidays to remind me

Quick Reply: 315 - 30 rear and 245 - 40 front