Sponsored by:

Introducing "The Black Pearl"...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:19 PM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Introducing "The Black Pearl"...

Yes I know, I am crazy. (I know "The Black Pearl" sounds corny but car's gotta have a name, right? Plus "Pearl" means "Gem" is Swedish so for us it makes more sense. It's not just something that Johnny Depp is looking for...)

A couple of weeks ago I sold my beloved Arena red 1998 993TT museum piece. As I have always had the itch for modding (slippery slope) I tried to talk myself into keeping the Arena red because it was the best example my money could buy. But it was just I couldn't get myself to mod it. It was brand new! (15.XXX miles). So I threw out an ad just to check the response.

Couple of weeks later I had a chat with a friend of mine from the swedish porsche community. He needed new suspension so we had a chat about that and I asked him if he knew of any nice 993TTs for sale (Sweden is a small market). He didn't at the moment but he called me back two days later to tell me this: 2 years ago he was in the market for a 993TT and one car in particular struck him as his "dream car". It just ticked every box according to him. It was just a little too much dough for him at the time. He made a decent offer but there was this other guy that outbid him. He told the guy that had outbid him that if you are ever going to sell this puppy, please give me first dibs! And you guessed it already; the guy who bought the car called my friend from the porsche community (as promised) and gave him first dibs (car was not even listed for sale). Fortunately for me, my friend had recently bought a 993 C2 X51 RS-clone so he was not interested but he remembered me asking if he knew any nice TTs from a few days earlier so he just basically passed on the contact info for the seller. I called him up immediately and tried to feel him out. At that point I had a few serious buyers on my car, but noone who wanted to top dollar. This one guy had previously made a pretty decent offer so once I knew about this other car I called him up and lowered my asking price. It worked out pretty well in the end. The AR car was virtually brand new. Thisone is not new but it's in very good condition. And more importantly, I finally feel that I have the car of my dreams ! Arena red although a very nice color, it wasn't my top choice. It just wasn't me. This is though . I have always wanted a black 993 turbo. IMHO it's THE color for a 911 turbo. So now that I've found the right car I can start focusing on the mods . You may have seen the thread already;

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...uning-ruf.html

Here is the specs. on the car:

1997 993 Turbo
Black on Black
27.XXX miles
3 owners

Well, what can I say? I feel SO blessed to be able to find a car as nice as this. It's almost hard to believe it's true. It's 12 years old and runs like new. This is more or less the specs I would have chosen if I was to order the car today:

C00 Version for Germany

XD7 Strut tower brace
XE7 TurboS Oilcooler
XJ6 Steering wheel hub leather
XMC Carbon center console front (switch surrounds)
XMD Carbon center console (under handbrake)
XTA Carbon inside doorlatch
X47 Shifter Carbon/Alu/Leder
X50 WLS I 430PS (Werksleistungstiegrung I) Powerkit 430hk
X54 Big ovals
X56 Carbon dash and guage surrounds
X58 E-brake Carbon/Alu/Leder
X70 SS door sills with turbo inscription
X71 Aluminum guage faces
X77 Carbon SW

139 Heated seat left
340 Heated seat right
373 Sportseat left
374 Sportseat right
446 Colored wheelcrests
545 92 Liter Tank
567 Windshield graduated tint
602 3rd brakelight
686 Radio Porsche CDR 21 RDW
09981 Fahrzeugübestellung zu VRS zum einbau von "Exclusiv" Teilen
09991 Hergestellt für das Exclusivprogramm

Some wealthy German guy basically ticked every box you could find on the build sheet. The option code sticker is full . But here is the thing, while he ticked all the goodies liek the powerkit, 92liter tank, sport seats, carbon interior etc, he did not tick the sunroof option () and he decided against the heavy stuff such as cd-changer and Nokia sound system, which IMHO is a very good thing! So no sunroof or heavy unnesserary stuff here (well the sport seats are heavy but apart from that).

The last five-digit codes are all interior codes. Apparently the owner wanted the stiching to match the aluminum details on the shifter, e-brake and guauges. So everything has black leather with silver stitching: seats, dash, SW, door cards, rear seats etc. It's a nice touch I think..

And there's more . The previous owner was a real petrolhead so he had the following stuff done to the car:

Bilstein PSS9 suspension
Cargraphic active brake cooling kit (feeds are through hoses to brakediscs)
Turbo S chin spoiler
Gemballa Racing split rims with MPSCs (see pic in garage) not my taste..
Gemballa Alu pedals
Gemballa 100cell sport cats
Gemballa highflow mufflers
K&N Filter
KKK24's (OEM GT2 Turbos)
Custom live remap (claimed 470hp)
Sport clutch

All I have done is to replace the wheels with my RH 3.6 wheels. So far . Oh and I managed to brake the front left drop link . I have some stuff planned. Nothing major though. Rear wiper has got to go. That ugly roof antenna as well.. (somehow..). Darins 993TT mufflers ceramic coated black are on the shelf waiting to be installed. And the walrod bushings. Maybe red seat belts? Then I'll just replace cams, replace turbos, replace rods, new DME.. .. . . .. . . . . . . . hehehe

I felt like a proper introduction was in order. Sorry the pics looks like crap because of the size. I have the big originals if anyone want's some. I'm still learning my new iMac, it took a while to resize these. I have to learn this sooner or later .

I once again want to point out how greatful I am to be a part of this community. It's just a wealth of information and a big bunch of nice guys. Does this place rock or what?

Last edited by V; 04-05-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:28 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:43 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love it when people post after taking a happy pill and/or had a few shots

You need to update your sig...

Have fun!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 246 Posts

Stunning car. Congratulations!!

The RH wheels definitely suit the curves of the widebody 993 - don't think I've seen them on a 993 before either...
Old 10-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by pstoppani

Have fun!

Hilarious!

From a fellow owner of a black/black '97 TT I'd like to say "well done, sir" !!
Old 10-31-2009, 12:22 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Holy crap Viggo, that cars awesome. I agree that the only colour should be black. But beggars can't be choosers! We both have small markets so I reckon you are a lucky lucky man.
Good move on selling the AR TT. If this is what you want to do, you will have lots of fun mate.
Let the mods begin
Old 10-31-2009, 12:58 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up Exquisite find

Opening soon at a thread near you: "The Modding of the Black Pearl" Viggo played by Johnny Depp?
Originally Posted by vhanzon
Well, what can I say? I feel SO blessed to be able to find a car as nice as this. It's almost hard to believe it's true. It's 12 years old and runs like new.

I felt like a proper introduction was in order. Sorry the pics looks like crap because of the size. I have the big originals if anyone want's some.

V-man-- That guy in the photo looks VERY happy. ...& we can all see why.
We're blessed to have you on this board; you & the beautiful but bad to the bone Black Pearl! Breathtaking lightweight TT.

Thanks for your advice when I was modding my 993. My advice? Have fun with your German gem, enjoy that slippery slope (you are so far gone already), & keep us along for the ride. Never too many photos, my friend. Off to a perfect start -- your shots in the shade show off perfectly shiny paint. Great job with your 'first' post of your dozen-year-old new TT.
Congratulations!!!

PS Thanks for your most recent PM, & offering to ask around.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:01 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Black is best on a 911, bugger to keep clean but by far the best colour! Not sure about the wheels, not seen them on a 993tt before either, bet it looks better in the flesh. Enjoy
Old 10-31-2009, 07:05 AM
race.it
Instructor

perfect combo, you may be a small community but you always seam to have the nice cars up there
Old 10-31-2009, 08:59 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 104 Posts

Very nice and again congratulations!

Seems the mods on this car are my taste also

Curious how long you will keep this one
Old 10-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Smile

Originally Posted by pstoppani

Have fun!

Hilarious!

From a fellow owner of a black/black '97 TT I'd like to say "well done, sir" !!
Old 10-31-2009, 11:37 AM
-CD-
Rennlist Member

Wow, great car! Congrats!

Black on Black with no sunroof ist really great and the option list and data is fantastic!

Only the rims are not my cup of tea!

Some black rims would be look great on your car!!!

Greetings Christian
Old 10-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

my post hit twice.....didnt hit the refresh button after lastnight. sorry
Old 10-31-2009, 01:55 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

wow, fantastic find!!
Old 10-31-2009, 07:11 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG stunning. Makes me wanna cry that mine's gone!

Quick Reply: Introducing "The Black Pearl"...