Sponsored by:

im thinking of buying a 993tt

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 03:11 AM
ksjcorpus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im thinking of buying a 993tt

i've had my 95, 993 for 11 yrs now and thinking of making the jump to a 993tt. here are some concerns/ questions:

1. im concerned that the cost of any repairs are going to be brutally expensive -- im sure it'll cost 2k for every time i take it to get something done to it.

2. the ac of 993tt may not blow cold enough for the texas heat

3. if you guys were to do it all over today --- would you buy a 99tt or a new normally aspirated 997?

what do you guys think of this 1996 tt3? it's gorgeous but seems too good to be true or have the prices dropped to the 60k range?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...DLVI%26ps%3D54
Old 10-07-2009, 10:43 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by ksjcorpus
i've had my 95, 993 for 11 yrs now and thinking of making the jump to a 993tt. here are some concerns/ questions:

1. im concerned that the cost of any repairs are going to be brutally expensive -- im sure it'll cost 2k for every time i take it to get something done to it.

2. the ac of 993tt may not blow cold enough for the texas heat

3. if you guys were to do it all over today --- would you buy a 99tt or a new normally aspirated 997?

what do you guys think of this 1996 tt3? it's gorgeous but seems too good to be true or have the prices dropped to the 60k range?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...DLVI%26ps%3D54
First, good luck with your search and FWIW, based on my experience you won't regret it. I tell people all the time that if I have to get rid of the CGT or the 993tt, the CGT's the one leaving. I'll try to answer your questions.

1. Not much help here because it hasn't needed any repairs - only routine maintenance. To be fair, mine's a lower mileage car and I've put 8k miles on it in 3.5 years.

2. The a/c is probably going to be like your Cab. I'm in Dallas and the a/c is adequate on most days but it's certainly not as good as a 997's. If it's a DD you'll have to look at it differently that if it's not. Depends on your tolerance for heat.

3. For me, 993tt without question. Air cooled > water cooled, IMHO.

I'm going to look at that car today with a friend that's moving from a 997S to a 993tt. He's seen the car and says it's gorgeous and in great condition. Again, IMHO, I think if the interior was black instead of tan the price would be higher.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Another DFW guy weighing in:

Agree with everything that Brian says.

I have owned both NA 993 and my current Turbo R. Maintenance isn't much different. That really isn't a concern. Very easy car to own and drive.

A/C works fine as long as it is under 95 degrees. As you probably already know, getting it charged properly makes a huge difference.

I have had a 997S. There is no comparison. I felt like it was a great and fast car. But not the same as my aircooled cars. You will have to make your own call on that one.

Brian, and I am not invited to go with you? I thought that you were my friend.... Good luck, it looks great. Let me know how it goes.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:07 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Brian

as for the comparison to an NA 997, apples and oranges, IMO

If I were looking for a daily driver I might consider a 997 over a 993 turbo. But that is purely a personal perspective and will vary driver to driver.

Regarding maintenance cost, that will really depend on how well you buy to start with. A PPI including leakdown is a must.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't kn ow if I should chime in, but my AC blows ice. In 95 degree high humidity in South Carolina it ices me out. I have the Cargraphic oil cooler located next to my fan and it has had no effect on the air. Car runs cool and the driver even cooler. I think it depends on how the AC is charged.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:32 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck with the search. I'm a recent '96 TT owner and love it. Mine is a 30k mile car, two owner. This one looks to be in good shape from the pictures. If it checks out as described, I think the ask price is right in the ballpark for these cars right now. Would be nice (for us owners) if the going rate was a bit higher but in this market its not a steal....just a reasonable price for a 27k mile car that checks out as such.

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2009, 01:50 PM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

I debated the same thing 997s vs 993TT when i bought mine almost 5 yrs ago. No regrets.. my buddy's 997s is probably worth less and depreciating like the 996s and its slower, plastics fall apart etc. Yeah, he doesn't have the starter or slave cyclinder going bad or pressure hoses popping off but i like the little challenges here and there so we can bond with our cars and cherish them. The new 911s seem like Hondas mass produced and disposable.

1. Yeah, its about 2k everytime i take it in but i used the stealership cause it's just close and convenient but it's only for major service, every 30k.... just passed 60k.. oh yeah and the registration is only like $130 whereas my 3 year old Lexus is still friggin $700

2. 993tt no questions.. boost is so much more fun

3. The AC is fine even for Vegas weather, takes a little longer than the Lexus but it still blows cold.

Hope this helps.. GL
Old 10-07-2009, 02:13 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Regarding maintenance: 993 NA and 993TT have mostly similar problems and similar costs. The exceptions are:
1). the turbo units themselves.... if properly cooled and maintained, they can go ~80,000 miles before needing a $1500 rebuild (unless you fall down the slippery slope)
2). very few issues with SAI problems which are frequent on the NA cars.
3). only 6 spark plugs (but one is still a bitch to change)
4). clutch slave cylinder is a diabolical design in a diabolical location.

You still get to worry about leaky steering racks and corroded fan ballast resistors... same as the 993 NA.

Do it.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

TT.....enough said
Old 10-07-2009, 08:32 PM
ksjcorpus
Instructor

what an active board, thanks guys. brian did you see the red tt today? what did you think of it? i've had a fair amount of interest on my n/a 993 so im likely to sell it shortly and make the jump to tt -- i can't wait. i think guards red is a little too flashy for me; my preference is to get a black or white or maybe silver one. im just going to be patient, i think there's probably a fair number of low mileage cars out there that were initially bought by guys that weren't true enthusiasts and kept them sitting around. 10 yrs later to them the shine has worn off and they're selling them.

who are you guys using for an independent mechanic in the dfw area?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

In my opinion, RUF Dallas is the only place to take a 993 in the DFW area.

There is a good wrench over at Boardwalk, but they charge crazy (and infuriating) rates for basic repairs.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking car. I hope she passes her PPI with flying colours. Best of luck.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:06 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got one for sale.
Needs a cut and polish though.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:19 AM
ksjcorpus
Instructor

I think I've seen it .... and uuuuuum, call me picky, but I think I'll pass.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:20 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 181 Posts

what an active board, thanks guys. brian did you see the red tt today? what did you think of it? i've had a fair amount of interest on my n/a 993 so im likely to sell it shortly and make the jump to tt -- i can't wait. i think guards red is a little too flashy for me; my preference is to get a black or white or maybe silver one. im just going to be patient, i think there's probably a fair number of low mileage cars out there that were initially bought by guys that weren't true enthusiasts and kept them sitting around. 10 yrs later to them the shine has worn off and they're selling them.

I did get to see it but only indoors and therefore didn't get to drive it. Very nice, clean car that will clean up REALLY well. I went to look at it with a friend who is probably going to make an offer. It went for a ppi as we left the place.

Guards Red is awesome, but clearly not for everyone. I'd love to have a white one. I'm sure you know this, but there are a lot of dealers that specialize in 993s. If you need some leads, just contact Patrick or me.

I second what Patrick said about Ruf. Good luck in your search!

Quick Reply: im thinking of buying a 993tt