Sponsored by:

Budgetary Numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 10:45 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Budgetary Numbers?

I'm trying to plan out my winter projects to upgrade my 993TT to something like a Stage 1 UMW kit. I will do all of the work myself, so this is really just a parts build price sheet.

Kevin doesn't have prices on his website, and I don't want to bug him considering I'm a few months away from doing this.

I see the parts list as:
1) Pair of upgraded Turbos
2) ECU Upgrade
3) New Cats
4) Gaskets, bolts, nuts etc.

I'm a street-only kind of guy, so I'm not trying to build a track monster. I have a newish clutch, so not going to go that route (yet). I just did a 60k service (early, at 34k) in February, so won't need most of that. I'm trying to get a very streetable ~450ish hp with a very linear powerband.

How much should that setup run me (rough order of magnitude is fine)? Is it really stupid not to upgrade oil coolers and intercoolers even for street use?

I'm sure I'll have other questions, too!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi this is a couple of years old but you'll find what you're looking for in this thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499

I don't think you need a up graded intercooler for this kit/street use (what is an upgraded intercooler as you may know is another topic). I'd do an upgraded oil cooler - turbo S/cargraphic/ruf/home made - although you probably don't need it...
Old 08-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
Hi this is a couple of years old but you'll find what you're looking for in this thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499

I don't think you need a up graded intercooler for this kit/street use (what is an upgraded intercooler as you may know is another topic). I'd do an upgraded oil cooler - turbo S/cargraphic/ruf/home made - although you probably don't need it...
While Basal Skull may be right, I'd opt for the safety of upgraded oil coolers. Compared to what you are spending on the other stuff it seems like cheap insurance to me. The cooler the engine the safer. I opted for dual cooler with the Jay Putnam kit and they keep my car cool under heavy boost and scorching florida heat.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:25 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike W
While Basal Skull may be right, I'd opt for the safety of upgraded oil coolers. Compared to what you are spending on the other stuff it seems like cheap insurance to me. The cooler the engine the safer. I opted for dual cooler with the Jay Putnam kit and they keep my car cool under heavy boost and scorching florida heat.
Thanks for both replies, I'll do a seach on the "Jay Putnam" kit, first I've heard of it. I may spend the winter making sure that my car is 100% ready for upgrades, then do the hp upgrades in the spring. I don't think I could stand adding 50+ hp to my car and not being able to drive it for a while

I think this winter I'll do the upgraded oil coolers, replace the spark plug wires, replace the intercooler plumbing, and maybe switch over to 100 cell cats.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:48 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

I believe the FVD twin coolers, Jay Putnam cooler and flying fin/my version (https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499) are pretty similar. Mine work pretty well on the track and the fans are pretty nifty when you're stuck in traffic or when you're doing your 2 min+ idle cool down in the paddock for the turbos when you come off the track!
Old 08-23-2009, 12:53 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

While you're in there ... (famous last words)... look into the grinding of the exhaust header to smooth the flow. This is another of Kevin's speed tricks and while I wasn't able to actually test it on Waldo, it make perfect sense to do it. Kevin can send the details on how to do it. A big part is cleanup... you do not want any metal bits in your new turbos!
Old 08-23-2009, 10:24 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
I believe the FVD twin coolers, Jay Putnam cooler and flying fin/my version (https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499) are pretty similar. Mine work pretty well on the track and the fans are pretty nifty when you're stuck in traffic or when you're doing your 2 min+ idle cool down in the paddock for the turbos when you come off the track!

Basal Skull, I checked out your link and that is super cool. I think I'll do that as well. Is there such a thing as "too cool" in terms of oil temperatures? Since I don't plan to track the car, maybe going to the same levels you did would be overkill on a modified motor?
Old 08-23-2009, 10:30 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ca993twin
While you're in there ... (famous last words)... look into the grinding of the exhaust header to smooth the flow. This is another of Kevin's speed tricks and while I wasn't able to actually test it on Waldo, it make perfect sense to do it. Kevin can send the details on how to do it. A big part is cleanup... you do not want any metal bits in your new turbos!
That's a good idea. I've done some P and P before, and it's not very difficult. Although, I've been dying to try this out on something, so I may try this: Extrude Hone

If anyone wants to do a group buy, I'll organize it.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Basal Skull, I checked out your link..."too cool" in terms of oil temperatures? Since I don't plan to track the car, maybe going to the same levels you did would be overkill on a modified motor?
I wondered about this as well but the consensus seems to be the cooler the better. Since the plumbing is going into the front fender mounted oil cooler circuit in series, and the circuit/thermostat only opens at higher temps, figured it should be okay.

Quick Reply: Budgetary Numbers?