Auxillary Oil Cooler on 993TT & Roock ECU upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Andrew 996TTS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxillary Oil Cooler on 993TT & Roock ECU upgrade

Hi,

I am in the process of rebuilding a standard 993TT as a project car (no power upgrades) and was wondering what the accepted wisdom on auxillary oil coolers was ?

I have read on a couple of forums that indicated unless the car has been upgraded in a big way or tracked regularly that an extra oil cooler is overkill and extra weight that is not needed. I am based in London at moment so climate is not really an issue but car will eventually return to a hotter climate (Australia) and I thought it may be good insurance to avoid any future heating issues. Is it also true that the extra cooler that came with the S doesn't do much as its too small and if your going to upgrade should go with the GT version or the RUF version ?

Also the car (which is a 1996 model) has apparently had a Roock ECU Upgrade in its life, anyone know anything about these (ie what kind of power upgrade is it likely to be, are Roock ECU upgrades regarded highly or otherwise) ?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2009, 10:54 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

The RUF / Cargraphic cooler kit is the only type I install on these cars. I dont feel the TT-S aux cooler does enough to warrant the install.

Love to see pics of your project along the way.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:04 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you are tracking the car, I find the Turbo S oil cooler does a v.good job. I also think the bigger aux oil cooler cuts down airflow to the A/C condenser....if I'm not mistaken...which I am frequently.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Andrew 996TTS
Intermediate

Thanks for the comments so far seems to be a bit of differing views on the topic. I will post before and afters when I get the car finished but at the moment I only have pictures of my engine in a thousand pieces which is just depressing.

I wont be tracking the car at all and was curious whether people on here would fit the aux oil coolers as a safety precaution for hot weather use or not bother ? The scenario I am mainly concerned with is I dont want to get caught in a random traffic jam on a hot day (say 40 degrees) and have the car overheat, or get hot enough that I need to turn off the A/C or even turn the car off to prevent damage. Can anyone throw any light on whether the car should be ok in these circumstances (providing all engine components are operating properly) ?

Obviously no need to fit it if I dont have to which will keep the weight of the car a bit lower.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:47 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

No aux cooler needed for street use. You would never need to turn off the A/C as it has no effect on engine cooling unless a Cargraphic cooler is mounted and even then the A/C fan will run creating more airflow across the oil cooler. The Cargraphic cooler has no effect on the A/C as it is mounted after the condensor in the airflow stream.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:11 AM
Andrew 996TTS
Intermediate

Perfect, thanks for that guys.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 387 Posts

any one have an extra cargraphic one they want to move? with the boost that I am running my s cooler is inadequate for track but fine in all circumstances on street. anybody know if you can use the same plumbing?
Old 08-20-2009, 04:46 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Plumbing is different, lines are longer for the Cargraphic.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Basal Skull did a great write-up on his oil cooler upgrade - worth looking at IMHO.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:52 AM
Dick in TN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to add a manual switch for the high speed fan on the existing oil cooler, would help you control oil temp if stuck in traffic in London as well as the higher temps you will encounter in Australia.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have lots of HP with my Protomotive engine. I installed the Cargraphic cooler here in NC and SC. It works great. My car never gets hot even on 98 degree days with loads of humidity nad slow moving trafic. I think it was the best purchase I have made for my car.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a dual cooler by Jay Putnam. It's a beautiful setup and keeps my car very cool even under heavy () use in south Florida heat. Highly recommended.

Quick Reply: Auxillary Oil Cooler on 993TT & Roock ECU upgrade