Sponsored by:

Had a little "incident" this morning

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 02:44 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Had a little "incident" this morning

This morning I wrangled mentally over which car to drive to work, as it's 90 miles one way, so I seldom drive the turbo. I checked the weather, and it seemed like it would be great, so I thought "cops be damned" and headed out.

Well, about 30 miles into it, I was behind a semi-trailer that had a blowout. Shrapnel flew everwhere and a big piece came bounding down the highway straight for me. There was a car beside me, so my best move was just to hit and hope for the best.

The damage was to my front bumper and hood, but it was pretty minor. It took a chunk of paint off of my Turbo S spoiler (about 6 inches wide), and hit the hood and cowl chipping and scratching that up. I think the clear bra prevented other damage, but the chunk missing on the spoiler took that off (obviously). I'll take pics later to post.

So, I called the insurance company and they told me that it would be covered under comprehensive (I'm assuming without a raise in rates), and not collision, which I thought was good.

I guess I'll take what they give me and have the front clip re-sprayed, if it costs more, I'll cover it myself. I wouldn't have done it otherwise, as a little patina is good for a car I can do this kind of work myself but my real job is insane of late, and the materials would cost me more than my deductible.

All in all, it could've been worse, and I suppose the upside is that it will be good as new afterwards. I do wonder if they'll replace the clear bra...would that be covered?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 08-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
This morning I wrangled mentally over which car to drive to work, as it's 90 miles one way, so I seldom drive the turbo. I checked the weather, and it seemed like it would be great, so I thought "cops be damned" and headed out.

Well, about 30 miles into it, I was behind a semi-trailer that had a blowout. Shrapnel flew everwhere and a big piece came bounding down the highway straight for me. There was a car beside me, so my best move was just to hit and hope for the best.

The damage was to my front bumper and hood, but it was pretty minor. It took a chunk of paint off of my Turbo S spoiler (about 6 inches wide), and hit the hood and cowl chipping and scratching that up. I think the clear bra prevented other damage, but the chunk missing on the spoiler took that off (obviously). I'll take pics later to post.

So, I called the insurance company and they told me that it would be covered under comprehensive (I'm assuming without a raise in rates), and not collision, which I thought was good.

I guess I'll take what they give me and have the front clip re-sprayed, if it costs more, I'll cover it myself. I wouldn't have done it otherwise, as a little patina is good for a car I can do this kind of work myself but my real job is insane of late, and the materials would cost me more than my deductible.

All in all, it could've been worse, and I suppose the upside is that it will be good as new afterwards. I do wonder if they'll replace the clear bra...would that be covered?

Thanks,
Scott

bummer!!
Old 08-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the front clip is being resprayed this is a great time to add GT2 fenders...........just sayin
Old 08-14-2009, 02:55 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spartan
Since the front clip is being resprayed this is a great time to add GT2 fenders...........just sayin
Yeah, that's a pretty big slip down the slope to go from a simple respray to new fenders, new bumpers, new wheels, upgraded motor, etc etc
Old 08-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Don't need new bumpers or motor upgrades but you will need new wheels . You can DIY and save a ton of money too. Just sayin

On a serious note this would be a great time to fit a new front spoiler if you ever wanted to try something different. FVD makes a very cool GT2 spoiler that I'm only reccomending bc they dropped the price from $1k down to $600 that retains the turbo front bumper. Otherwise just paint up what you got and throw on some more clear bra
Old 08-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

That's too bad, glad you're okay and sounds like just some cosmetic damage.
I always have difficulty when for some reason I have to decide on which car to drive and something like this or a door ding flashes into my mind ... most of the time I end up being a whimp and taking one of my other vehicles - it's the same with my regular job, when I think about it, I have to do it (in this case taking the other car - which is a cayenne turbo so it's not that bad!)
Old 08-14-2009, 06:02 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spartan
Um...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...=p4506.c0.m245
Old 08-14-2009, 06:22 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the truckdriver responsible for the damage to your car?

Sorry this happened to your car. Glad you are OK.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:55 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry about the incident. Be sure you have photos that show the existing clear bra in place. They need to return your car to "as it was before", so new clear bra should be included. As long as the debris was "moving" (not a stationary chunk laying in the hiway), there should be NO penalty to your driving record or insurance rates.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

also sorry about the debris. glad to hear it wasn't worse.
when doing the front bra, you should wait at least one month for the paint to cure first.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Turbodan
also sorry about the debris. glad to hear it wasn't worse.
when doing the front bra, you should wait at least one month for the paint to cure first.
If they bake the paint properly you shouldn't have to wait more than a week or two if you want to be safe.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:11 AM
speedy88
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your incident. I would think the trucking company would be responsible. no?

Just a FYI. Take plenty of pictures of the damages and keep receipts of the repair, as it may appear on the Carfax report. When you sell the car, at least, you have something showing the damages, so a potential buyer don't think it was in a major accident.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:54 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Default Update

Well, this morning I went and had an adjuster look at it, and it's not terribly expensive. However, I thought it was interesting that he gave me $50.00 to replace the clear bra on the hood, and the Turbo S bumper. I asked him about it, and he said that's what they cost.

I bought this with the clear bra on it, but that can't possibly be right could it?? I had no intention of using the body shop that my insurance company made me go to (Carstar), so perhaps they don't see it very often. I brought the quote to the bodyshop I like, and he said he'd work it out with the insurance company and not to worry about it.

What's up with that?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:05 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Well, this morning I went and had an adjuster look at it, and it's not terribly expensive. However, I thought it was interesting that he gave me $50.00 to replace the clear bra on the hood, and the Turbo S bumper. I asked him about it, and he said that's what they cost.

I bought this with the clear bra on it, but that can't possibly be right could it?? I had no intention of using the body shop that my insurance company made me go to (Carstar), so perhaps they don't see it very often. I brought the quote to the bodyshop I like, and he said he'd work it out with the insurance company and not to worry about it.

What's up with that?
You've been jobbed with this one.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by One of Twenty
You've been jobbed with this one.
2nd probably closer to $500 or so. Get a quote from the shop you would use and send it to the adjuster. The insurance company will either have to find a lower quote or pay your quote.

Quick Reply: Had a little "incident" this morning