Sponsored by:

Ok, NOW I'm irritated: oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:58 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Ok, NOW I'm irritated: oil leak

I've spent the last several weeks chasing a mysterious oil leak on my 1997. The leak *seems* to be coming from above the passenger side turbo. The compressor housing is oily on the outside, but if you clean it and look again, it appears to come from above.

So, I started thinking it was the hose washers on the power steering pump. They are dry as a bone. There is some residual crud on the bottom of the power steering reservoir. The clamp on the one closest to the rear of the car connected to the reservoir is tight, but there is another on the front side that seems to be some sort of press fitting. It looks to be just pushed in to the reservoir with some sort of red fitting...it'll wiggle a little, but no oil (fluid) comes out of it.

The strange part is, if you park the car right after you've driven it, it will drip a couple drops, then it stops. If you wipe it up, no more will replace it until the next time you drive it and park. This leads me to think that it's pump related again.

Anybody got any ideas? Oil leaks are like door dings to me, I just can't live with them!

Thanks,
Old 07-06-2009, 04:05 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not trying to be a smart ***, but I would just bring it to a p-dealership for service and let them find the problem. I know it would not be as much fun as correcting the problem yourself, but my sanity would only allow me to go that far.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Green993tt
Intermediate

This sounds exactly as the issue I had:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...nderstand.html

It turned out to be the top oil line connection to the turbo.
Managed to tighten it and now there is zero leak :-)
Old 07-06-2009, 07:41 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stay away from dealers, they do very little air cooled work any more so they would be experimenting on your car. Find a good independent shop with 993tt experience.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:22 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Stay away from dealers, they do very little air cooled work any more so they would be experimenting on your car. Find a good independent shop with 993tt experience.
Nah, I do as much of my own work as possible. I feel like you don't really bond with the car if you give up on it. There's a couple reputable places around here (including one of the dealers with a Master Porsche Tech that I trust immensely), but where's the fun in that???

I don't drive it that often, so I can afford to screw with it

I did check the oil lines once already, and they seem tight, but I didn't want to overdo and strip the fitting. I'll look again.

Also, when I filled the car with oil after changing the smail oil fliter, I didn't realize you have to pour it like an IV drip and spilled a quart in the engine bay. Could this be residual from that still??
Old 07-06-2009, 11:12 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Also, when I filled the car with oil after changing the smail oil fliter, I didn't realize you have to pour it like an IV drip and spilled a quart in the engine bay. Could this be residual from that still??
absolutely yes, that could be it. If you spill above it can take a long long time for that oil to finish making a mess. There is a long and winding road from the oil fill to the turbo.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:44 PM
KM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with MarkD. I had the same problem. In my case I didn't seat the oil tank cap properly and after a couple of hours on the freeway, stopped to find a steady drip of oil from above the passenger side turbo. Cleaned it up several times only to find more oil every time I started/stopped the motor. Thinking the worst, I finally gave in a flatbeded to a shop. They found no leaks, all OK.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:22 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

delete oil....

Quick Reply: Ok, NOW I'm irritated: oil leak