"Preventative" Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:22 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default "Preventative" Maintenance

Hi Gang,
I've been perusing the archives and haven't seen what I'm really looking for (or can't figure out the right thing to search on), so I thought I'd ask here. Is there a definitive list of stuff that every 993TT should have done to it because of updates or things that just wear and have better parts?

The power steering hose pressure seals is almost certainly a problem I have. I have been trying (in vain, I might add) to find the source of a leak on my passenger side for a couple weeks since I corrected my mosquito fogging fiasco. I hate to learn the hard way, which it seems I've been doing more of lately.

I *love* to work on my own car, so I guess I'd like to start a list of things to do to keep my car in tip top shape. I've done all of the usual suspects in the 30/60k services, but am looking for hidden things that only experience with the car and time tells.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2009, 04:34 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These cars are pretty robust, most of my problems through the years are mod related. The wiring harness recall is very important, be sure that's been done. They came up with a more robust (but dimmer) digital display in the tach, expensive to replace though. MAF sensor and clutch slave failures can be sneaky, but don't strand you so just wait for them to happen. A/C and oil cooler fan resistors corrode and fail with subtle symptoms, If you can't confirm they've been updated, there is a relatively complicated test checklist on pcar.com.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

actually the test for the fans is pretty simple...one of the few things I have done on my car myself...all you need is a jumper wire with a fuse in it.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:57 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
These cars are pretty robust, most of my problems through the years are mod related. The wiring harness recall is very important, be sure that's been done. They came up with a more robust (but dimmer) digital display in the tach, expensive to replace though. MAF sensor and clutch slave failures can be sneaky, but don't strand you so just wait for them to happen. A/C and oil cooler fan resistors corrode and fail with subtle symptoms, If you can't confirm they've been updated, there is a relatively complicated test checklist on pcar.com.
Thanks, sometimes it's hard to know what to search on when you don't know what problems you might not know about. I'll start with the wiring harness one, that one sounds pretty important

Quick Reply: "Preventative" Maintenance