Sponsored by:

Update on the Mosquito Fogger

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:55 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Update on the Mosquito Fogger

Ok, I had a long conversation one day with Kevin at UMW (super nice guy, but everyone already knows that), and he gave me some things to look for before I got started tearing the car down. It's all stuff we've talked about, so I'll just summarize:

1) Small oil filter: No way to know for sure, but I replaced it
2) Large oil filter: what the hell, I'm doing it anyway
3) Change oil from Redline 10w40 to Mobil 1 15W50
4) Check reservoirs on botom of each turbo: pretty much equal
5) Take pictures of Turbines for Chocolate Covering: WHOA...who put all of that oil in my cold side pipes! I'm not kidding, there must've been a half quart in my driver's side intake. The passenger side had a little bit of drainage, but not nearly as much.

So, I cleaned that all out, took the lines out of the intercooler, cleaned that all out, and am starting anew.

I'm guessing I must've overfilled it when I thought I needed more oil at 1000 miles into my oil change cycle. Clearly, I've got to get a better handle on the readings between my oil gauge and the dipstick. After refilling today, I'm at the 4:00 position when hot and halfway on the dipstick...heck, now I'm scared to add any!
Old 05-25-2009, 11:07 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Here's the pics of the turbines (prior to cleaning out all of the pooled oil!):

Drivers:

Passenger:

I don't think they exhibit the chocolatey tasty coating on them.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run my car at the 3 o'clock spot when hot... you should be fine where you are at 4...sill would do the check valves..IMO..did them in my car NO OIL...
Old 05-26-2009, 11:30 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Barney1
I run my car at the 3 o'clock spot when hot... you should be fine where you are at 4...sill would do the check valves..IMO..did them in my car NO OIL...
Thanks, Mike. I'm going to call Kevin for next steps. I don't have any worries about taking things apart and replacing items, but I think I better make sure of the order of my steps first so that I can track my progress better.

I'm not 100% sure that I didn't just solve the whole problem with an oil change, but I enjoy taking these things apart and tinkering anyway
Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool enjoy...I work on Gulfstream Jets for a living, and I have to say, these cars are a challange to work on. I'll take working on the Plane any time... (just kidding)
Old 05-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

No kidding on how hard these cars are to work on. I replaced my right side intercooler hose this weekend. Wow, getting that thing clamped to the turbo was hard! It took a lot of tedious time. If I had the nerve, I probably should have removed some other parts to get more working room.

I will say that I am pleased that my turbos, intercooler and hoses are all dry.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:59 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by pjconner
No kidding on how hard these cars are to work on. I replaced my right side intercooler hose this weekend. Wow, getting that thing clamped to the turbo was hard! It took a lot of tedious time. If I had the nerve, I probably should have removed some other parts to get more working room.

I will say that I am pleased that my turbos, intercooler and hoses are all dry.
Just wait until you do the left side, its even more fun..

Quick Reply: Update on the Mosquito Fogger