Sponsored by:

Rufus meets the smog man

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:04 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Rufus meets the smog man

I just got my Califonia DMV renewal, and this is the year for the smog certificate. I took Rufus to a local smog shop (recommended by a local Porsche shop), and 10 minutes later I was done... passed without a hiccup.

Of course, you don't put an AWD car on the rollers, but still, I am happy that this car is totally smog legal.

When I bought Rufus 4 years ago I had to go to a referee station because the readiness codes weren't set. By the time I drove there, they were set, and the car passed easily. Two years later, I had to take the car to a "Test Only Station", as Rufus was described as a "gross polluter". Again, he passed without a hitch. This time... a regular smog station. I still can't figure out that "gross polluter" designator.

Yehaw.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:15 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Boy are we lucky we dont have to do stuff like that in FL
Old 05-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Too funny Steve! I went to get my car inspected today too. I have to do it annually. Passed without drama. Ruf designs these cars to pass emissions all over the world!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:43 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

This was the thing I was most worried about when I brought my car back last year. No drama with the test then ... at least not with the NY version. Seem to remember Steve telling me that's the way it would be though.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Crystal Ball

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
Boy are we lucky we dont have to do stuff like that in FL
Yet, but I see this in all of our futures.

And in some way, to get the clap traps off the road, I think the European approach to MOT inspections would be a good thing here in the US.

Because Gov involvement in things is always a good thing for them.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

I passed about a month ago. No problem. since it is awd they don't put it on a dyno and no obd2 hookup either....passed with flying colours
they are talking about abolishing the test here...waste of time and money
Old 05-20-2009, 11:08 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Congrats Steve -- A goog thing!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:41 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I passed about a month ago. No problem. since it is awd they don't put it on a dyno and no obd2 hookup either
what do they do - just a sniff test at idle?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:59 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool Steve.
I had to go to a "Test Only" deal this year also...

I got curious so I checked into it a bit. The gross polluter thing is tied to some Ca. legistlation that requires a certain % of cars to go through the process... which I SURE is tied to some kickbacks related to the industry that has the monopoly on manufacturing the test equipment that the "Test Only" stations must use... and the license fees for those "Test Only" stations... and so on.

Which all equates to a higher fee for Test Only certs... neat!
Old 05-20-2009, 01:22 PM
KM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know the criteria used to flag a vehicle for the Test Only designation? Is it vehicle age, past smog history, hp rating, zip code, tax bracket, car color?? I too was hit for Test Only when I renewed this past fall. Car passed with flying colors and from what I remember of the printout, the various amounts recorded during the sniff test were all way below the allowable limit in each category, both at idle and elevated RPM. Same as it has been on all previous tests.

Appears that the Test Only is designated to be every other test after the vehicle reaches a certain age.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by dbf73
what do they do - just a sniff test at idle?
they do a sniff only at idle and at I think 2900 rpm for a few minutes.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:46 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got no stinkin Smog Stations here is the Sunshine state....
Old 05-20-2009, 10:38 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KM
Does anyone know the criteria used to flag a vehicle for the Test Only designation? Is it vehicle age, past smog history, hp rating, zip code, tax bracket, car color?? I too was hit for Test Only when I renewed this past fall. Car passed with flying colors and from what I remember of the printout, the various amounts recorded during the sniff test were all way below the allowable limit in each category, both at idle and elevated RPM. Same as it has been on all previous tests.

Appears that the Test Only is designated to be every other test after the vehicle reaches a certain age.
Age is part of it... or it could be random.

Question: Why am I being sent to a Test-Only or Gold Shield station? My car has never failed Smog Check.

Answer: Your car was most likely selected by the High Emitter Profile. This means that even though it may never have failed before, it has been identified through a computer-based selection process as a vehicle which is more likely than others to be emitting unhealthy levels of harmful pollutants. Another possibility is that it was selected via a 2 % random selection for program evaluation purposes. In either case, your vehicle has been designated as a Directed Vehicle.

Taken from here:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...ns_Part_1.html

Originally Posted by viperbob
We've got no stinkin Smog Stations here is the Sunshine state....
sure, rub it in...
Old 05-21-2009, 03:20 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

I always wondered. I know mine rolls up and clears smog no prob w/130mm 100 cell cats...But Rufus has different cams and I was under the impression that's where the issue lies...apparently not! Steve, I'm guessing you don't have to do the new evap test? They plug some machine onto your gas tank for about 10 minutes...mine past that too....no prob...think it 95 & earlier cars...

Quick Reply: Rufus meets the smog man