Sponsored by:

More data on the mosquito fogger

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

By the way, I think ViperBob is the one selling the PSS10s a few posts down.

I also think Kevin at UMW is where you get the check valves.

Greg H.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:42 PM
hiflexaust
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got check valves.....check!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:53 PM
KM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll add a data point....

No check valves and no smoking for quite a while (1st 20k+ miles of my ownership). Then an oil change was followed by mild fogging. Changed to a second small filter (both Porsche filters) and all was good. Two oil changes later, mosquito abatement time. Took 3 trys on the small filter to corrrect. But correction lasted less than 500 miles (including one DE day). Appears seals cooked on one turbo, probably on its last legs but the extra oil in the turbo during the fogging scenarios must have finished the job. Replaced both turbos with units from UMW. Added the check valvles too. So far no problems.

I'm not convinced the check valves solved a problem for me. I added them anyway (while I was in there) and view them as cheap insurance.

Kevin
Old 05-10-2009, 10:39 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Another Data Point

Well, I got a chance to noodle around under the car this weekend for a few minutes (emphasis on FEW as it was Mother's "weekend"...not just day )

And I found that my Passenger Side turbo is leaking somewhere. It's definitely not the valve covers, not the timing chain cover, and it doesn't seem to be from any o-ring that I just replaced when I replaced the valve cover gaskets.

Sooooo...now what culprit should I be suspecting next? It seems that check valve is now not likely the culprit, nor the oil filter. Why can't these things happen at the END of the driving season???
Old 05-10-2009, 11:22 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Scott,

My understanding is that faulty drain valves in the filters will eventually result in oil pooling in the turbos... eventually wrecking the turbos. I'd still recommend new filters and the anti-drain back valves. If you can do it before the turbos are wrecked, you may still live through this.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:30 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Scott,

My understanding is that faulty drain valves in the filters will eventually result in oil pooling in the turbos... eventually wrecking the turbos. I'd still recommend new filters and the anti-drain back valves. If you can do it before the turbos are wrecked, you may still live through this.
It's cheap insurance, I have a note into Kevin to get a set. Between finishing my basement and work being absolutely NUTS, I hope to get to this over the next couple weekends.

I'm a little nervous this turbo might already be cooked. I didn't get a chance to pull the inlet side and look into the turbine to check for obvious oil blowby...that'll come next.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

How much are the check valves? How much labor time to install?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:51 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
And I found that my Passenger Side turbo is leaking somewhere. It's definitely not the valve covers, not the timing chain cover, and it doesn't seem to be from any o-ring that I just replaced when I replaced the valve cover gaskets.
As per my earlier post - remove the drain plug on teh turbo sump and post how much oil drains out.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:38 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Last time I got my 96 P93T as a mosquito fogger was on a cold start right after oil/filter change. This also happened to be the first time I experienced this much smoke coming from the turbo and my car has gone thru numerous oil/filter change at 37kmiles. So drove my car back to the Porsche Tech carefully and gently without getting into boost. Initially they were sure that the cause was blown turbo seal since they do not think that the small filter is defective since they have been using the OEM Porsche filter batch for other 993s w/o problem. Putting a check valves was not my first option since the labor is not insignificant considering after more than 15 years this was my first experience with having my P93T turn into a mosquito fogger. I would put in the turbo check valve if I am rebuilding/replacing the turbo though.

So after replacing the small filter the problem simply disappear.

I had been replacing my oil/filter every 5kmiles or annually whichever come first but from now on, I will refrain from replacing the small filter until I hit 7.5kmiles and simply replace the oil only following my regular schedule.

Back then they said that the Mann filter is the one with defective valve but I believe that it can happen to any Porsche OEM filter. It is just not worth it to replace the filter too often with the risk of damaging the turbos in case of major oil flooding.

In my P93T, I will only replace filters every 7.5kmiles but I will replace the oil annually or 5kmiles whichever come first.

If I am not mistaken the Porsche manual recommend replacing oil and small filter every 7.5kmiles and the big filter every 15kmiles

Quick Reply: More data on the mosquito fogger