Sponsored by:

Sloppy steering/handling -- any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 11:19 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

I do think NoSubEDU makes a very valid point ,my once wrecked;-) now repaired
1st TT was a handful and responded with very darty and twitchy steering because of
it's severely lowered suspension height and lack of suspension travel.
It was constantly catching the rear tire or front over large bumps and near bottoming..
I really thought it was simply where the MO30 Euro height was supposed to be.
upon driving my next standard suspension TT the ride and of course much more
stock height resulted in more relaxed ride and comfort.
Back to my 1st car now I'll be addressing the height first possibly the damper harsh-
ness 2nd,but definetly some added height for suspension travel...the look certainly
isn't everything.. Bert
Old 04-07-2009, 08:52 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GRUWEZ
The alignment shop did not have the tools to do the kinematic toe on the rear. They used their alignment computer and the eccentrics in the rear to set the toe, based on what the alignment computer read with its lasers and the optic mirrors mounted on the rear wheels. Is the kinematic adjustment so much different. I read about it in the shop manual but have not gotten to the bottom of it.
Alignement racks can not do anything for the kinematic toe setting. An alignment rack only can check the car in a static position. As mentioned by Phelix, the kinematic is a setting that ONLY comes into play as the rear suspension travels up and down. It is designed to keep the constant toe setting as this travel occurs. It is the relative position of the arms to one another that allows this to happen. If a shop did nothing when changing suspension or aligning the car, you could have the situation where on going over the same bump one rear side adding toe and the other side reducing it. So in essence pointing the rear in a different direction. So I would try to see if you can get this adjusted properly....

Quick Reply: Sloppy steering/handling -- any ideas?