Turbo lag - delay in boost

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:41 PM
carrevolution
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo lag - delay in boost

Hi

My father has experienced turbo lag with his 993 turbo from 2800 rpm.
The turbo is behaving as a normally aspirated car at the moment.
Our Porsche Centre have checked the turbo's and they are 100%. The regulator is fine, and there is no air leakage from the pipes, waste gate etc. The car is behaving like a 930 Turbo with all the boost coming in at 4000 rpm, although it seems to surge.

Our Porsche Centre say that they think it is the timing chain etc.
However they cannot guarantee that to be the problem. An independent service agent is convinced that the fuel injector jets need cleaning, as this has never
been done.

Any advice?

Thanks so much
Old 12-17-2008, 02:53 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by carrevolution
Hi

My father has experienced turbo lag with his 993 turbo from 2800 rpm.
The turbo is behaving as a normally aspirated car at the moment.
Our Porsche Centre have checked the turbo's and they are 100%. The regulator is fine, and there is no air leakage from the pipes, waste gate etc. The car is behaving like a 930 Turbo with all the boost coming in at 4000 rpm, although it seems to surge.

Our Porsche Centre say that they think it is the timing chain etc.
However they cannot guarantee that to be the problem. An independent service agent is convinced that the fuel injector jets need cleaning, as this has never
been done.

Any advice?

Thanks so much
For less than 10 bux, I'd try to run a bottle of Chevron's Techron through it. You can pick it up at your local parts place.

I usually run my gas tank to less than a quarter tank, add the bottle of Techron, then drive around for a little while. Open it up a couple times on the highway, and it should help.

After that, fill up with best quality gas you can find, and see what your results are. Try this link for Top Tier gas providers:

http://www.toptiergas.com
Old 12-17-2008, 05:34 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
For less than 10 bux, I'd try to run a bottle of Chevron's Techron through it. You can pick it up at your local parts place.

I usually run my gas tank to less than a quarter tank, add the bottle of Techron, then drive around for a little while. Open it up a couple times on the highway, and it should help.

After that, fill up with best quality gas you can find, and see what your results are. Try this link for Top Tier gas providers:

http://www.toptiergas.com
hey CincyScott i was thinking of doing this as well (car drives fine, but just seems like a sensible thing to do). Any downsides? I have read somewhere that you should have an oil change immediately afterwards tho, is this your experience?

thanks!!
Old 12-17-2008, 05:51 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by chance
hey CincyScott i was thinking of doing this as well (car drives fine, but just seems like a sensible thing to do). Any downsides? I have read somewhere that you should have an oil change immediately afterwards tho, is this your experience?

thanks!!
Not from my experience, Chance, and I've been doing this for years...it's one of the few snake oil potions I think actually works at all. I do it on all of my cars usually about every 10k miles...which coincidentally is around when their oil gets replaced

Quick Reply: Turbo lag - delay in boost