Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell if I need diverter valves replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008 | 05:00 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Default How to tell if I need diverter valves replaced?

Is it a catastrophic failure or a gradual process?

Is it a sluggish acceleration issue, or is it more in terms of difficulty to get boost above a certain bar?

With diverter valve threads searched, I think I want to replace these with billet ones (http://www.amazon.com/Forge-Motorspo...963739&sr=8-10).

but just want to know if it is a must right away or something I can wait until next few months or next year, and how I can tell if mine are shot. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2008 | 01:44 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Usually they make a honking sound when going bad. If they are stock and you suspect that they are going bad then the probably are, these things should be replaced every so often. Just replace with Stock or you can spend the $$$ for the shiney metal ones which give you mad pOwar

Better yet replace with the Bosch 710N vs the stocker
Old 09-21-2008 | 03:13 PM
993Twinturbo 3,6
Track Day

Had the same "honking" sound and after replacing both diverter valves it`s gone.Did replace them with original and are happy with them but do you have the Bosch number on the 710N valve ?
Spartan : Tell me more about the hybrid turbos that you have for sale.
Thanks.

/ Kurt
Old 09-21-2008 | 03:57 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

I don't have the honking sound, so maybe I will just wait.
Old 09-21-2008 | 04:04 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jimhsu
I don't have the honking sound, so maybe I will just wait.
Has your boost or the turbo sound changed recently to make you think that they are going bad?
Old 09-21-2008 | 04:41 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Spartan
Has your boost or the turbo sound changed recently to make you think that they are going bad?
No....just worrying about bits of plastic from stock valves breaking off and the such. I don't hear any whining.

I don't have enough open roads and cop-free zones to test the boost to see how freely it boosts up. I understand most cars with diverter valve problems end up not boosting much above 0.7....
Old 09-21-2008 | 08:34 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jimhsu
No....just worrying about bits of plastic from stock valves breaking off and the such. I don't hear any whining.

I don't have enough open roads and cop-free zones to test the boost to see how freely it boosts up. I understand most cars with diverter valve problems end up not boosting much above 0.7....
If they haven't been replaced then I would replace them. They are cheap and it gives you another excuse to open the engine bay and start messing around for an hour or so Just don't replace with stock, get the Bosch 710N, its a the same part just a few generations better and comes with a stiffer spring.

Don't worry about the plastic valves. I've run them in cars boosting 25psi+ for years and had zero issues. The only issues i had were with the forge metal ones which turned me off on those types of DV's.
Old 09-21-2008 | 08:37 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Spartan
Don't worry about the plastic valves. I've run them in cars boosting 25psi+ for years and had zero issues. The only issues i had were with the forge metal ones which turned me off on those types of DV's.

What kind of problems did you have with the Forge metal DVs? Those seem to be popular....but I like to know your experience with them.
Old 09-21-2008 | 11:52 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

what is generally called honking on this forum....could it be a higher-pitched whistling sound? Or is it a lower HONK kind of sound? I do hear a higher pitched whistle coming more prominently at @ 3000 RPM.
Old 09-22-2008 | 09:09 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a soft honk, replaced with Forge valves. Boost characteristics are now a tad sharper in response.

Quick Reply: How to tell if I need diverter valves replaced?