Sponsored by:

Check Engine Gah!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 07:25 AM
ausdan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Gah!!

Oh no! I was driving my new girl from Sydney to her new home in Brisbane which is around 950KM journey. At about the 850KM mark the "check engine" light pops on and all sorts of horror situations flash through my head, so I brace for the worst and pull over the side of the freeway..

The owners manual warns to report to nearest dealer for fault report if this light comes solid on. I wonder is there a way that I can diagnose the fault myself?

The light was not flashing, and adding load to the engine did not cause the light to begin flashing. I could not notice any difference in the handling of the car with the light on. When the light appeared and I was still moving I checked all gauges, oil pressure did seem high actually it was almost at max, temp was normal and level was also high. - Would oil levels cause this warning? or something else...

Still do not want to risk anything, and would like to get it sorted. If its just a loose wire or an easy DIY, I would rather not take it to my mechanic who is always very very busy.

I drove it the rest of the way home without pushing it, and she did not skip a beat. If it were not for the "check engine" light would not know there was anything wrong at all.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Assuming you're taling about a 993tt the CEL is triggered by engine issues that relate to an emissions-related problem. Any OBD scanner should be able to read the code value, then search on here for the code as someone else has bound to have had the same one. It could be as simple as a lazy lambda sensor.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:55 AM
ausdan
Advanced

Yeah 993TT, I am about to update my avatar picture accordingly :-) Thanks on the OBD scanner advice. I have an Aus delivered 97/97, I don't know where the OBD connection is. Is it OBD 1 or OBD 2, essentially I am brand spanking new to 993TT and will go pick up the equipment needed to self diagnose this stuff.

Can u recommend good OBD devices?
Old 06-15-2008, 09:54 AM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...do?keyword=obd
any of these should do and it is right by your left leg if yours is rhd the plug will read obd, right leg if lhd
Old 06-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

OBD2
probably an oxygen censor.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 195 Posts

Dan,

It is most likley a O2 sensor - one of mine always trip AFTER being att he track - alwyas ont he way home on light cruising throttle.

The OBD2 port is on the centre console ont he PASSANGER side half way up your calf muscle.

I have an HFT OBD scanner - IIRC the 50 buck one - works a treat

Best,

Simon.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan as per eveyone else, I would bet money it is one of the O2 sensors.
Strangely enough, I am actually advertisng a data logger for sale on another forum.

Its features include logging 02 sensor data
and
ID'ing and clearing error codes.

Last edited by Q; 06-15-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car data logger
- plugs into the OBDII port
- records up to 300hrs of driving data
- can be told to clear any error codes !
- shows speed, distance, 02 sensor readings, G force, manifold pressure, temp *depending on which car...

Bought it for my 996TT
Only used it 2 or 3 times before I sold the car
Paid $286
$100 including postage... *price reduced*
PM me

AS article

Old 06-16-2008, 06:39 AM
ausdan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Dan,

It is most likley a O2 sensor - one of mine always trip AFTER being att he track - alwyas ont he way home on light cruising throttle.

The OBD2 port is on the centre console ont he PASSANGER side half way up your calf muscle.

I have an HFT OBD scanner - IIRC the 50 buck one - works a treat

Best,

Simon.
I am hoping this is it. Assuming it is the O2 sensor, how do you go about fixing it - Replace the sensor or is it just a hicup, and resetting the warning returns all to normal?
Old 06-16-2008, 06:42 AM
ausdan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Q
Dan as per eveyone else, I would bet money it is one of the O2 sensors.
Strangely enough, I am actually advertisng a data logger for sale on another forum.

Its features include logging 02 sensor data
and
ID'ing and clearing error codes.

Thanx Q, its good to hear this, PM about to be sent on the data logger, I might be interested...
Old 06-16-2008, 11:44 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it is a good idea to read that code with an OBD2 reader, write it down, and tell this forum what the code number is. You will get lots of advice. I would clear the code and continue driving to see it it reappears. You may get lucky. It is usually not anything serious... can even be a simple as a loose gas cap! Good luck.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:07 PM
ausdan
Advanced

Originally Posted by ca993twin
I think it is a good idea to read that code with an OBD2 reader, write it down, and tell this forum what the code number is. You will get lots of advice. I would clear the code and continue driving to see it it reappears. You may get lucky. It is usually not anything serious... can even be a simple as a loose gas cap! Good luck.
Thanks I really hope luck is on my side, and this is high on my list of things TODO. In the process of getting a device to read and reset the OBD code as I type this - Express posting its way to me now is a ScanGauge2 as I missed out on Q's data logger by a single day I will report in once I know.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Kevin R.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's interesting!!! The factory service manuals for the 1997 993 Carrera and Turbo models (Volume 2: Sheet 6) shows the "check engine" light is not used in Instrument D=100. At least that is what it shows and when I pulled my gauge out to look behind, the bulb socket for that warning light is fitted with a "blank" socket (part #88 445 022). Can anyone else confirm the "check engine" light is not used on this year and model???
Old 08-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

check engine light should be fitted on these. I have heard of people can't get cel light to turn off and remove the bulb. the blank socket may also be a way to get around this. I think cel is good to have working in case you actually get an engine issue. check with previous owner. In US if cel light is on it will not pass emission test, they also check obd2.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 195 Posts

Sorry Keven,

AFAIK - the CEL is sued for all years from '95.

Common trick is to take the CEL out - thne no "obvious" issues whne selling a car.

Simon.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Gah!!